PDA

View Full Version : 1955 commander shift lever button?

bob1944
06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
As I restore the dash and other part to my 1955 Commander coupe I'm finding all sorts of things, the latest is on the column shift lever has a button at the end like a cruse control but it's 1955 Commander with automatic so no cruse what could it be for? Thanks for the help. Best thing I've done in years was join SDC. Thanks Bob

N8N
06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
not a clue, unless you have a 3/OD stick, then someone might have rigged a pushbutton to kick it out of OD for passing without having to mat the accelerator.

The bad news is that that '55 shift knob is one year only and not repro'd so if you want to "make it right" you will have to search for a NOS one. If you don't care, a black one from a '56 will work fine. (same shape, different color.)

edit: I see you said it was an auto, does it have anti-creep still functioning? Maybe a poor man's line lock?

nate

StudeRich
06-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Does it click like ON and OFF, or just a momentary switch? Whatever it is as Nate said it sure did not come from the factory that way. There is nowhere to run a wire it's a solid steel shift lever.

It could have had an aftermarket Cruise Control added at one time, most but not all were only for Automatic Trans.

N8N
06-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I still think a line lock would be way cooler, but maybe that's just me :)

nate