Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If V-8 head interchange side to side, why not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If V-8 head interchange side to side, why not...

...exhaust manifolds. The '64 R-1 Avanti I bought has a crack in the right hand manifold. An Avanti right manifold is different from other Studebakers in that it has no alternator mounting boss. A left hand manifold has no mounting boss. So what is different between a left manifold and an Avanti right manifold? I have a spare set of manifolds, but the right one has the alternator mount. See where I'm going with this?
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I believe the only difference between an Avanti pass side manifold and any Stude driver's side manifold is the length of the studs, due to the heat riser valve being sandwiched in there. If you can get the studs out, you're good to go. I believe most vendors sell a "manifold repair kit" with studs for both sides, brass nuts, and three gaskets - easier than trying to get the long studs out of the cracked manifold without destroying them.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
      I believe the only difference between an Avanti pass side manifold and any Stude driver's side manifold is the length of the studs, due to the heat riser valve being sandwiched in there. If you can get the studs out, you're good to go. I believe most vendors sell a "manifold repair kit" with studs for both sides, brass nuts, and three gaskets - easier than trying to get the long studs out of the cracked manifold without destroying them.

nate
      Thanks Nate. I never even thought about the stud length. I have a bunch of NOS studs. I think I am good to go.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I had a broken pass side exhaust manifold on my Avanti, and an extra pass side
        from a Hawk. So I had a buddy cut the Alt boss off with a bandsaw, and that is
        how its been for about 10 years.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
        X