Left/right valve rocker assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left/right valve rocker assemblies

I'm putting the 62 Hawk engine back together after putting in new oil seals, cleaning the engine water jacket and replacing the freeze plugs, along with new valve seals. Problem is, that I can't remember which valve rocker assembly is which... ooppss!!! Does it matter or is there someway I can tell which is which.... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Yeah, they wear against the valves and develope a wear pattern. You really ought to get them back to the side they came off of. Just thinking, you might get one of those little mirrors, and put one of the rocker arms on and then try to look under the rocker arm tip and see if the pattern is the same. I don't know if that will work, but worth a try.

Comment

Look closely at each cylinder head where the rocker arm posts fit. Then look at each of the rocker arm posts mating face. There should be an impression or shading that will confirm the original fit up.

Comment

There is a difference in the rocker shaft placement. There is an oil hole in each shaft which is under the farthest left rocker stand. The oil hole should be at the rear on the right head and the front on the left head. The oil holes face up toward the top of the head in line with the head bolt. Bud

Comment

The shop manual tells you which side is which by the flat on the end of the shaft, look it up.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
          X