Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just one man's opinion (1st day at Glendale)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just one man's opinion (1st day at Glendale)

Arrived at my hotel about 10:45. Way too early to put my stuff in my room, I was told, so I was allowed to put it in a kind of holding room until after the show.

Found my space, unloaded my van and went to work. When I looked up, it was almost 5 and everyone was covering up their tables. I covered mine and left. As I was driving away, this time the console said 100 f.!

So, on the one hand I saw the beautiful view of the valley, on the other, the State License plate. Hmmmm.

John

Thanks for the report, it really is helpful for us that cannot make there this year!

Comment

Sounds just the way I left it when I moved out of Arizona back in 1989. Believe it or not the average temperature was lower back then... a degree or two. I predict there will be no need for the fingerprint wiping that usually preceeds the judging because in that heat, nobody in their right mind would actually touch a Studebaker or any other car for that matter. BTW, if you're going to wash your car down there, do so before 7AM and leave no water drops. --48M5
      sigpic
      48M5
      Sumner, WA

Comment

Great narrative as always, Johnny. Heat or not I'd love to be there!

BTW, we were in the 90s this weekend- but had the humidity along with it. Talk about whew...

Comment

Have a freind that lives in Tucson. Visited him once. remember going up on" A" Mountain and looking out over Tucson. It was a pretty site. Being from Ohio ,I was told the heat didn't bother you since you had low humidity, BULL , I still thought it was hot! Enjoy yourselves and keep reporting back! Thanks! Randy
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Arrived Monday afternoon

And the fun has not stopped. Great discussion today on newsletters, websites and the new Forum - was great to meet Bob Shaw in person. More great discussion this afternoon on recruitment - Tom Curtis presented a number of great ideas - Thanks Tom!

Tomorrow is the STF dinner and other good stuff. Has been great to meet many Forum members, although I did tell "mbstude" that he does look taller on the Forum than in person.
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

100 degrees or not, wish I was there.

Comment

those drivers might be used to the roads but your smarter. not uncommon to hear of those camper and vans going over the side and you haven't seen traffic backups until you get behind a major accident between PHX and Flag.
                On your way back go thru payson and the Mogollon Rim country and you'll witness more beatiful diversity that is the state of AZ. The mileage will be less but will take longer due to the mountains and roads.
                Russ

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

We came down from Flagstaff to Glendale on Monday afternoon. Our experience was very much like Johnny's, although we have done this drive a few times before. I have to agree with his opinion of the [deleted] who pull trailers or boats at 80 mph with big pick-em-ups. JBYCDMYS (sorry if any of you are reading this, but really... And some being left-lane bandits to boot.). The first slowdown we had was to get past the wreck of one trailer that got away from someone; the remains were going to have to be collected by a front-end loader. Did not appear to have hurt anybody.

The second slowdown (and the longest - several miles of creeping, but no biggie in a P****s; Glendale is way too far and hot for the Hawk) was to pass by a grass fire next to the side of the road. Don't know the cause, of course - one hopes that people here realize the potential result of flipping a cigarette out the window, since the grass is tinder dry from the heat. The local fire brigades did not let this one get away, with multiple engines and a helicopter on scene.

All in all, a slow drive from Flag. Our console temperature confirm Johnny's report. I guess we caught the holiday traffic from the mountains going back to Phoenix.
                  Jim K.
                  63 Hawk

Comment

In Georgia, on a good Summer day we have 90 degrees and humidity, on a bad day we have had 105 degrees and humidity. I should know, I play fooseball in it, but while you are playing you ignore the weather. It is cooler in Glendale and boy do I wish I was there.
                    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

although I did tell "mbstude" that he does look taller on the Forum than in person. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE] If you think he is short... You should see his Mama, and his Grandma!
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                      X