Steering 62 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering 62 hawk

Here I am driving along in my 62 Hawk with MANUAL steering and I notice a bit of "stiffness" while making a
    right-hand turn. At the next intersection, the same "stiffness" appears when I make a left-hand turn, only
    worse.

After about 4 or 5 more such turns, I could barely make the steering wheel go more than a few inches before
    I got this "scrunching sound" coming from the steering column and the steering simply locked up.

I could however, "force" it back to straight with some effort....finally got the Stude home and now, the
    steering wheel barely turns at all. The car can only go straight forward or straight backward.

What happened? I get the distinct impression that something up near the top of the steering column, near
    the turn signal switch has locked up as that seems to be about where this "scrunching sound" is
    coming from..

All the fittings on the linkage have been greased regularly, as well as the kingpins. Something caused the
    steering wheel to bind up....I just don't know what.

Any ideas would be a big help. Thanks in advance

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

There is a bearing at the top of the steering column just under the steering wheel but I doubt that it would cause the steering to lock up. I would be inclined to suspect that something has failed inside the steering box especially if it has been run dry for an extended period of time. The Ross steering gear boxes in the Hawks have been known to have the seal fail on the sector shaft letting the lube leak out which eventually causes severe wear on the worm and roller inside of the box that causes sloppy steering and possibly a part failure. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud
      [I
      There is a bearing at the top of the steering column just under the steering wheel but I doubt that it would cause the steering to lock up. I would be inclined to suspect that something has failed inside the steering box especially if it has been run dry for an extended period of time. The Ross steering gear boxes in the Hawks have been known to have the seal fail on the sector shaft letting the lube leak out which eventually causes severe wear on the worm and roller inside of the box that causes sloppy steering and possibly a part failure. Bud [/I]
      Is this a matter of having to replace the entire steering sector, or just the gearbox itself? In either case, is this a relatively available part thru most Stude parts supply outlets?

I find it amazing, that the symptoms would come on so suddenly like they did. I didn't know the gearbox was part of the lubrication process. I can honestly say that in the past 3 yrs, that I never lubed it. Guess this is the price I pay for my oversight.

Thanks for the response

Karl, 62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

My '53 coupe experienced the 'scrunching' at the top of the steering column. Not as bad as yours, but agrivating. I disassembled it and found that the 'bearing' is indeed a bearing on the shaft, but the part on the column is pot metal and had corroded. I cleaned it and lubricated it with lithium grease, and it works just like it used to, quiet with no restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          My '53 coupe experienced the 'scrunching' at the top of the steering column. Not as bad as yours, but agrivating. I disassembled it and found that the 'bearing' is indeed a bearing on the shaft, but the part on the column is pot metal and had corroded. I cleaned it and lubricated it with lithium grease, and it works just like it used to, quiet with no restrictions.
          I figured there must be some sort of bearing set up there.....then again, the scrunching noise certainly could be being "telegraphed" up from the gearbox too.

I'm just not physically able to be fiddling with the steering box and linkage itself, but I can dig out a puller and see what the condition of the bearing is up on top. Maybe I can get lucky like you and get it back to some sense of normalcy with a good cleaning and dose of grease.

Thanks,...Karl 62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Karl , Just undo the nut on the top of the Ross box and with a torch (not a flame) have a look inside .
            There should be a thick 90 weight greazy oil right to the top . If you can see gears (worm) then you
            need to fill up the box . Don't use normal motor oil , you need the heavy stuff . If this doesn't at least
            help , then you can have a look up top where you 'may' have heard the problem . Always try to check
            the level of oil in the steering box regularly , especially if you find over time that it is leaking a bit .
            Bruce Neasmith

Comment

Hi Karl,I do not hope that oil leak is your problem.
              did you check the locknut on the steering box adjustscrew on the side of the box?
              dick waterreus

Comment

Originally posted by hawk gt 62 rhd View Post
                Hi Karl,I do not hope that oil leak is your problem.
                did you check the locknut on the steering box adjustscrew on the side of the box?
                dick waterreus
                Turns out, the roller bearings inside the steering gear itself "got loose" and pretty much tore up the inside of the gearbox. It was over my head and level of mechanical expertise, so I took it to a shop that specializes in old cars and they sent it out to be "rebuilt"....(said they couldn't find a replacement).

So for the time being, I am without Stude...been nearly 3 weeks and counting.

Karl, '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

It sounds like the lube leaked out of the gear box which caused your failure. I've been filling leaky boxes with either Shell Alvania 00 semi fluid grease or Lucas oil additive with good results as both lubes are fluid enough to lube the internal parts and viscous enough not to leak past worn seals. Bud

Comment

Working...
                  X