Studebaker cruise control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker cruise control?

I went to look at a 48 Landcruiser F/S locally today. The owner said it had a FACTORY CRUISE CONTROL!! He said there was a section in the manual on it. Is it indeed a factory option? Is it a cruise control? Is it valuable? The car will likely part out if it doesnt sell. The trunk was locked so we couldnt get into it and I couldnt figure out how to open the hood for certain. If it is the knob marked H on the dash the cable is frozen. It also had a roll up antenna(broken mast and frozen control unit). Body is hopeless but the crome and stainless is still savable (pits in pot metal). If anyone needs anything from it speak up and I will see what I can do for you. Thanks, Steve

If I click the pic it doesnt get any bigger. What am I doing wrong? Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wolfie; 05-30-2010, 06:33 PM.
    sigpic

I don't think there would be anything like a modern cruise control. It might have a hand throttle that could be pulled out, but it would not hold a constant speed. Someone will be probably post a tip for how to open that particular hood when the cable is disabled.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Second try. YEAH!! Gets bigger now. Seller said you use the pull knob to set speed then hit the button to hold that speed. I dont believe he ever drove the car so just what he read and believed. And it had CHERRY gravel guards on the rear fenders. Also had an OD, or at least the pull knob for one. Nice radio and dash parts. Steve
      Attached Files
      Last edited by wolfie; 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

The knob with the "H" would be heat control. It would be nearly thirty years before cruise control would be available even as an option.

Now, that contraption strapped to the steering column is curious; never seen it before and definitely not factory. What is it supposed to do?
        Last edited by rockne10; 05-30-2010, 07:22 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Now, that contraption strapped to the steering column is curious; never seen it before and definitely not factory. What is it supposed to do?
          Thats what the seller was calling a cruise control. He said there was a section in the owners manual about it. If it doesnt sell I plan to try and get a copy of the info. Can someone tell me where the primary hood latch release is located if its not the knob I refered to earlier? Thanks, Steve
          sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=rockne10;461304]The knob with the "H" would be heat control. QUOTE]

The knob with the "H" on the left hand side of the steering wheel is the hood release.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

[QUOTE=irish;461335]
              Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              The knob with the "H" would be heat control. QUOTE]

The knob with the "H" on the left hand side of the steering wheel is the hood release.

Joe
              Thanks, Thats the one I tried. The cable is stuck pretty tightly. I have a good penetrating oil at work that freed the one on the Lark. I will spray what I can and see if I get lucky. Thanks, Steve
              sigpic

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the first vehicile Cruise Control was available on was a 1958 Chrysler Imperial

John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Anything is possible, I suppose...
                  There is a connection between the inventor of cruise control and Studebaker, but it was through hard parts for engines.
                  But you never know what ideas were worked out between a supplier (Perfect Circle in this case?) and Studebaker...
                  Here's some cruise history to add to the stew...
                  Jeff

(copy)

Ralph Teetor, a prolific (and blind) inventor, invented cruise control. Teetor, blind since the age of five, built his first car, a one-cylinder, by the age of 12. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. His first job post-graduation was to develop technology for steam turbine rotors used in torpedo boat destroyers during W.W.I.
                  Ralph Teetor became an mechanical engineer for the Light Inspection Car Company, a company founded by his family that later was renamed the Perfect Circle Corporation. The company provided piston rings to car companies such as Packard, General Motors, Chrysler and Studebaker. He soon became the Vice President of Engineering for Perfect Circle and later the President.

and.....

Ralph Teetor, long-time president of Perfect Circle Corporation in Hagerstown, Indiana, was inspired to invent cruise control one day while riding with his lawyer. The lawyer would slow down while talking and speed up while listening. This rocking motion so annoyed Teetor that he was determined to invent a speed control device. Cruise control debuted in 1958 on the Chrysler Imperial, New Yorker and Windsor models.

There is an important side note regarding Teetor. He was blinded in a shop accident at the age of five. The accident changed the gifted boy's life forever. But he was able to accomplish many things. In 1902, for example, when he was twelve, Teetor built an automobile with the help of his cousin. They rebuilt a discarded engine and machined each part by hand.
                  Ralph went on to graduate from the University of Pennsylvania in 1912 in the top third of his class. This feat astonished the faculty because they originally thought that he couldn't do the required work. Ralph's adaptations and keen mechanical ability served him well in college and throughout his professional career.
                  Ralph's highly developed sense of touch proved its advantage in developing a technique for balancing steam turbine rotors used in torpedo-boat destroyers. Dynamic balancing of large components had puzzled others before Ralph solved the problem.
                  As a grown man, Teetor preferred never to discuss his blindness. He managed to live his life almost as if it had never happened and went on to become successful as an engineer, manufacturing executive and entrepreneur. Teetor was posthumously inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in Dearborn, Michigan, in 1988 for his numerous contributions to the industry.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the history lesson, Jeff. Very intriguing. Just goes to show ya', you're never to old to learn somethin' new.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

Comment

...The owner said it had a FACTORY CRUISE CONTROL!!
                      Yep. He just didn't know WHICH factory!

John

Comment

Thanks, Oh well, It was (and still is) an interesting addition. I am even more curious to see the info the seller has now. He didnt have the manual with him when I was there but said he did have it along with all of the original sales paperwork. Does anyone need anything off of this car? I am hesitant to make an offer as I dont need anything from it. Sad demise for an original California car. Seller started restoring the car 35 years ago,sanded it in preparation of paint then started another project and this one got pushed into the woods and forgotten. Now its rust holding hands. Even the vent doors are rusted shut. Rear quarters arent terrible but everything else sheetmetal wise is scrap iron. Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Hmm. Might be some kind of a gadget that holds the throttle at a set point, like others have said. Although it wouldn't actually set the speed, it would allow you to take your foot off the gas and cruise at a certain engine speed. To the best of my knowledge, there were a few of these kinds of items on the market after the war. Somewhere I have a couple of old magazines with ads for similar gadgets that date from the early/mid 50s.

Comment

I remember J. C. Whitney advertising something to the same effect in th '50s. It was a saw-toothed piece of steel, with a hinge at one end. You screwed the hinge to the floor, then engaged the saw teeth to the pedal at the speed you were going.
                            I remember at the time, thinking how awkward, never-mind non-safe it would be to engage it at speed. And yes, it would hold the trottle at a given setting, but what about hills?
                            Last edited by Tom Bredehoft; 05-31-2010, 10:02 AM. Reason: add'l information.

Comment

To open the hood, crawl under the car and in the upper air dam in front of the radiator you should see a small hole. Insert a narrow blade screwdriver and turn it. Hopefully the hood will open.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X