PDA

View Full Version : Arrived in Glendale, early report: HOT!

garyash
05-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I just got in to the hotel. I managed to arrange a business trip to Albuquerque for Friday, so I was close by. I even have a business engagement in Tucson next week, so I'm here for 2 weeks. As expected and promised, Glendale is sunny and hot - 96 today. Be sure to bring wide brim hats, sunscreen, water bottle, portable shade if you have it. The show will be in a nice black, paved parking lot next to the hotel, no shade at all, no grass.

http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/glendale/glendale_lot_052910.jpg
Parking: the hotel has an indoor parking garage if you want to keep the car cool, but the price will be $5 every time you go out for SDC people. You can also choose $11/day with unlimited in/out. I was warned that the Westgate shopping center will tow any cars left in their lot overnight. Be aware! I just need to figure out where the hotel "free" parking is.

Hotel: Ooh la la! It is very nice - bar, restaurants, spa, pool, fitness center. etc. Internet access is $9.95/day. Note the '47-'49 sedan just being unloaded.

http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/glendale/glendale_pool.jpg
A few cars have arrived. I'm headed out to look for the early birds. See you all when you get here.

KGlowacky
05-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Anyone get a rent car??? I rented one for later this summer in Phoenix (airport) and the taxes are almost as much as the rental car fee (66%). I know every city that builds any kind of sports complex goes to the city and asked for a tax but WOW where will it end???

Mark57
05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
For the report Gary... I'll be there in 2 sleeps. It's been around 13C (55F) here for the past couple of weeks with lots of rain showers.:eek:

So, I know it will be temperature shock when I arrive. At least I won't need many clothes. :cool:

2R5
05-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Gary , thanks for the heads up , I'll bring some of this Canadian snow down with us . We get there monday morning , just need to figure out how to get the rental car and find the hotel . Hope to miss all the protestors that I see are there .

Anne F. Goodman
05-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Wow what a shock even to us in Sunny Central California its gonna be hot. We will arrive on Monday with the La Palma group. We leave Sunday morning with a sleep over in Banning Ca. Meet up with the group first thing Monday Morning.:cool:

rusty nut garage
05-29-2010, 05:19 PM
i see lots of shade, check out all those palm trees, and water too,
The last time I rented a car in DFW 80% of the cost was taxes surcharges etc. The only place we have a chance to stop it is in the voting booth and i'm beginning to even doubt that.
Your advice is sound, a hat, sunglasses, SUNSCREEN, and dring lots of water, adult soda pop doens't count or help.
Enjoy our desert!

woodysrods
05-29-2010, 06:11 PM
This morning 31 miles east of Red Deer Alberta. So quit complaining about the heat!
Good Roads
Brian

rockinhawk
05-29-2010, 07:41 PM
The hot was forecasted.......there is now a good chance that "Ahab the Arab",
and his trusty camel "Fatima", will be there too! camped out at the "Oasis." Fatima was the GIRL!! The camel's name was CLYDE. "ON CLYDE" NT

junior
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Wish I was there, today it snowed all day, thursday snowed half the day, today's high was a whopping .5 degrees C (think 33degrees F) record temps. This sucks...I need heat. Enjoy that heat. Enjoy the meet. Enjoy the Studes. Junior

StudeDave57
05-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I'll bet I know (more then) a few folks in the Middle East who would
GLADLY
take your 96 degrees over what they are up against!!!
Maybe think of them this week :confused:
It won't be nearly as humid in AZ as it is elsewhere in the World...

junior
05-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Atta boy Brian...you posted a photo! BTW, love the Poncho ragtop...is it yours? Junior

2R5
05-29-2010, 10:07 PM
It better be warm , just finished packin and all I'm bringing is shorts !....and a hat of coarse

okc63avanti
05-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Gary ..... drinking Studebakarita's combined with a hotel room overlooking the swimming pool could result in some trouble. I bet you used the zoom feature to check out the gals in and around the pool ... :) :)

mbstude
05-29-2010, 10:41 PM
If all goes well, Tom and Maureen Elliott, their daughter Jessica and I will be there tomorrow sometime. We're all excited to fly out and can't wait.

BobPalma
05-29-2010, 10:48 PM
If all goes well, Tom and Maureen Elliott, their daughter Jessica and I will be there tomorrow sometime. We're all excited to fly out and can't wait.

Matthew: Wife and I have to fly through Atlanta to get to Phoenix and are flying out of Atlanta about 1:30 Sunday afternoon.

Any chance you folks will be on that flight, too? Delta flight DL 2715. BP

mbstude
05-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Ours is a Delta flight at 10:55 AM. So close!

41 Frank
05-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Heck we are allready here and will start setting up our swap spaces in the morning. Drove the 1320 miles in two days. See all you guys later, stop by and visit and buy something from us.<G>

gordr
05-30-2010, 01:17 AM
$9.95 per day for Internet access? Don't they know piracy is a hanging offence?

BTW, I'm in Midvale, Utah tonight. Should be on track to arrive at the pirates' lair tomorrow evening. Motel here charges 2.99 for 24 hours Internet. Last night, it was free at the Helena Motel 6. Cool here tonight.

studeclunker
05-30-2010, 01:33 AM
sigh... :(:(:(:(:(

Johnnywiffer
05-30-2010, 08:04 AM
So it's "hot and sunny" in Phoenix amd 96 f.?

Heck it was exactly the same condition in SAT when I left Friday and in OKC when I left there yesterday. I think there's a run of 96 f everywhere I go.

Fortunately, my vendor space is inside and my motel only charges $3 for internet. Of course, the No-Tell Motel is 11 miles from the show. But, hey, everybody's gotta be someplace!:D

John

studeski
05-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Internet is free down at the first level : coffee shop, lobby etc. Got here yesterday 1710 hours. It's f......g hot.

JRoberts
05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
$9.95 per day for Internet access? Don't they know piracy is a hanging offence?

BTW, I'm in Midvale, Utah tonight. Should be on track to arrive at the pirates' lair tomorrow evening. Motel here charges 2.99 for 24 hours Internet. Last night, it was free at the Helena Motel 6. Cool here tonight.

I may be sheltered, but I have never had to pay for internet when in a motel/hotel. Is this becoming the norm?

woodysrods
05-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey Gord
You said it was cool last night. Did you see the picture I posted on this thread from Ian's place back home.
And Junior, that car is at a friend's place in Alberta. It is Sunny here in BC. We are just waiting for a warm spell to cut our hay.
Good Roads
Brian

woodysrods
05-30-2010, 11:58 AM
When do the pictures of the meet start rolling in. Please post some C/K pictures.
Thanks
Brian

Dick Clemens
05-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Just got to Phx airport at 8:30 AM. Waiting for arrival of Lou Cote from Washington. Sharing room with him at the host hotel. Looking forward to seeing all of you.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

okc63avanti
05-30-2010, 04:31 PM
I may be sheltered, but I have never had to pay for internet when in a motel/hotel. Is this becoming the norm?

I'm not sure what hotel you are at but I have found that the cheap to moderate priced hotel chains include internet and the higher end hotels that cater to the upper class (Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) charge for internet, I guess they figure the wealthy can afford it. I think that reasoning is asinine myself.

KGlowacky
05-30-2010, 04:52 PM
OKC, I have found the same on the internet charges. When I stay in a 2-2.5 star rated hotel(Priceline's ratings) such as a Hampton Inn, Courtyard ,real nice LaQuinta, or a Fairfeild the internet and hotel owned computers are free. when I book a 3 star plus hotel (Hilton, Sheraton etc) they charge for everything. Since I don't have a laptop I just bid on the so called cheaper hotels (2 plus) when I travel. Go figure.

okc63avanti
05-30-2010, 05:14 PM
OKC, I have found the same on the internet charges. When I stay in a 2-2.5 star rated hotel(Priceline's ratings) such as a Hampton Inn, Courtyard ,real nice LaQuinta, or a Fairfeild the internet and hotel owned computers are free. when I book a 3 star plus hotel (Hilton, Sheraton etc) they charge for everything. Since I don't have a laptop I just bid on the so called cheaper hotels (2 plus) when I travel. Go figure.

My fav's are Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and the newer LaQuinta or Best Western Inns.

JBOYLE
05-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Is it true that LaQuinta means "Next to a Denny's" in Spanish? :)

BobGlasscock
05-30-2010, 07:04 PM
That's what we say in Texas, JBoyle.

Neal IN
05-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Gary.
Wife and I just arrived today (Sun 5/30) at about 4pm local time and the thermometer in the VW was showing about 100 degrees.
We are at the Hampton Inn across the road from the host hotel. Hopefully we will see you around.

Neal

Johnnywiffer
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
“SEE AMERICA FIRST!” ‘Cause if you don’t, you truly miss WONDERS!

For example, today I passed “Happy Trails Horse Hotel” on the outskirts of Amarillo, the world’s tallest petrified tree (somewhere in NM) AND the Continental Divide (over 7200 ft. above SL. That’s about a mile and a half—higher than the Mile-High City—Denver.) and the temp only got to 83 f. before I got to Flagstaff. AND the speed limit thru most of NM and AZ was 75! Set that cruise and FLY!!

Met some very nice people in Albuquerque. I had bought some Fiero wheels on CL but the shipping to San Antonio was gonna kill me. So I told the people, “Hey, I’ll be coming thru on Sunday, pick an exit and we’ll meet and exchange money for wheels”. NO PROB! DeAnn and her husband and 20-month-old son met me and to my surprise, they had CLEANED the wheels better than NEW! I mean NO grease, grunge or grime! It’ll be a shame to put tires on ‘em! Was gonna put ‘em on the roof rack but my van is so full I couldn’t reach the bungee cord. Besides, would be a shame to leave ‘em out in the elements.

All in all, this was a very interesting day. See you in Phoenix Monday!

John

wolfie
05-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Please post some C/K pictures.
Thanks
Brian

Me too, especially the 53's. I want mine to be the nicest in the country when its finished so need to know where I am aiming. Thanks, Steve

woodysrods
06-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Okay where are the pictures? Is this a car event or what??
Brian

4961Studebaker
06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Biran, it's sort of a long tradition that I had to figure out. Tag along. : )

Sunday to monday everyone starts rolling into town,
attendance grows as the week goes on.
Most pictures will be of parking lot shots, old friends getting together and someone else takes the photo. Random sightings, Tour excursions, and maybe a Poker Run.
THURSDAY is the traditional day of the concource/car show/judging/all the cars in one place.

So.....while we have to salivate over the sparce pictures untill the "show"......the real pay off for those who couldn't go..................THURSDAY OR FRIDAY

StudeDave57
06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Okay where are the pictures? Is this a car event or what?? Brian
There is already a link to some pics. It was posted in the Glendale Meet Forum. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?41248-Glendale-Pics

But don't worry Brian-- in a few days there will be so many picture posts and links in this Forum and over there in the proper Forum, you'll be askin' folks to stop posting them!!!

(it happens every year...) :confused: :( :rolleyes:

woodysrods
06-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Sounds Great! Guess I should have looked at the itinery in TW, before asking for something that has not happened yet.
Good Roads
Briank

gordr
06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, I've had a good time at the meet so far, crappy hotel notwithstanding. Anyway, I'm not going to rant about it now. Tomorrow is the Truck Farmer's dinner. Woo-Hoo!