Roaring noise when driving from RF on my '64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaring noise when driving from RF on my '64

I hear what I can best describe as a 'roaring' noise from the RF when I accelerate or even just coast in my '64. When you hit the brake, it stops. It's most annoying! I'd say the fact that it stops when I hit the brakes would indicate it's in the brakes. Any ideas? Wheel cover doesn't feel even slightly warm to the touch when I get out to check.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 05-29-2010, 06:54 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Wheel bearings perhaps?

I'd personally probably just pull the drum and see what's going on in there, it only takes a couple minutes (you don't even have to remove the wheel.) If the races or rollers look in any way blue or non-smooth, get new bearings. Will give you an opportunity to see if anything else is amiss at the same time.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I agree with Nate, sounds like a bearing. My wifes brand x had a noise only when slowing, the dealer chased brake problems and never noticed the bearing was bad. My local grease monkey knew what it was right away and fixed it. So much for factory trained service techs!
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I'm thinking that you have a bad wheel bearing or two. It wouldn't hurt to inspect the bearings on both sides of the car for discolored races and or rollers and pits in the rollers or races. Keep in mind that tires can make a noise that mimmicks a bad wheel bearing. if you have worn shocks or an alignment problem, that can cause the tires to cup and cause a tire noise that sounds like bad bearings. Bud

Comment

Thanks guys; I'll check it out.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Viscous Fan clutch?
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
            X