Question about AT fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about AT fluid.

My vendor told me to use type A fluid in my Champ AT.went to the auto parts store,and guy tells me there is no more type A. but to use Dextron/or Mercon,is this what type A used to be?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Thats what to use , if you look on the jug somewhere it will mention what it replaces.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Dexron/Mercon is simply a better formula for the application than was available at the time. It won't disappoint you. My '51 DG200 originally called for 10W oil. Fluid engineering has improved and our old automatic transmissions have benefited from the science.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

As has been said, the Dextron/Mercon will work OK. That said:
        Many, probably MOST of us figure that being a Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic which is the same as a Ford-O-Matic, it just makes sense to use the preferred Fluid for pre-1968 Fords. The type "F" (now being reproduced by Valvoline) produces the FIRM type of shifts that I happen to prefer as apposed to the GM method of a slight slip and slide produced by the Dextron.

Type "A" was speciified for use in Studebakers and Fords, for Auto. Transmissions, Power Steering, and Superchargers, so since Type "F" is the preferred replacement for "A", there is never any reason to use anything else but Type "F" anywhere in a Stude.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          As has been said, the Dextron/Mercon will work OK. That said:
          Many, probably MOST of us figure that being a Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic which is the same as a Ford-O-Matic, it just makes sense to use the preferred Fluid for pre-1968 Fords. The type "F" (now being reproduced by Valvoline) produces the FIRM type of shifts that I happen to prefer as apposed to the GM method of a slight slip and slide produced by the Dextron.
          The Avanti workshop manual also specifies Type "A" ATF for lubricating the Paxton supercharger. I would use the Valvoline Type "F" for the supercharger and not the Dextron ATF which as stated above is slippery.
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

What should I use for the power steering on my 64 lark? Book says Type A, but can't find it at the parts stores.

I was told NOT to use today's clear power steering fluid but to use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system. Should I use the Dextron/Mercon for this application?

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
              What should I use for the power steering on my 64 lark? Book says Type A, but can't find it at the parts stores.

I was told NOT to use today's clear power steering fluid but to use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system. Should I use the Dextron/Mercon for this application?
              Yes; Dexron/Mercon or equivalent. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've been using Type F in my '59 Lark VI. I was convinced I should use this after I attended a tech session at one of the Int'l Meets in South Bend. Your question was asked by yours truly and that was the answer.
                I agree with StudeRich that, since it's a Borg Warner trans and similar to Fordomatic, it makes sense to use Type F.
                I also agree that the shifts are crisper and I like that.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                  My vendor told me to use type A fluid in my Champ AT.went to the auto parts store,and guy tells me there is no more type A. but to use Dextron/or Mercon,is this what type A used to be?
                  Sometimes you find Type A in dollar-type stores, but DO NOT use it. It may be nothing more than colored kerosene.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Has anyone tried any of the synthetic transmission fluids in a FOM? Any problems? I'm about to try that after a fresh rebuild and just wondered. My trans shop didn't have a problem using synthetics, but suggested keeping up with a more thorough transmission service/ fluid replacement routine and it would balance out price-wise.

Comment

Checking the account I got from my last Transmission service, they used 4.80Liters of Valvoline TQ-Dexron iii ATF, next suggested service at 45,000Miles am now at 34,000M. Fascinating to consider these transmissions are still going strong after nearly 50 years - shop said the latest Audi's BMW's etc suffer gearbox failure after 60,000KM 36,000M. Owner said "they pay AUD$180,000 for a BMW and the gearbox fails after 60,000KM." Am sure I'd be unimpressed. Too many damned computers nowadays - been having trouble with my Focus and it eventually turned out to be a faulty steering sensor in the steering wheel, when it fails it screws up the transmission shifts.
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I tried synthetic power steering fluid in my Hawk. Afterwards the control valve started leaking really bad, so bad that it leaves a trail of oil on the ground. Needless to say, I'm not driving the Hawk now, at least until I am able to rebuild the control valve.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I agree with Rich on the type F. I recently replaced the Trans in the wife's GT with a used one from a parts car. AllI did was clean it up,service it and install it. As advised, I put Dextron III. It leaked badly, shifted poorly, and slipped a little. My plan was to have the original trans rebuilt and put it back in. I consulted with a transmission man who told me to drain the dextron, and refill with Type F. I did and IT WORKED!! Still does. NT
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

I have been wondering the same thing.
                            I have an R2 Avanti and it would seem sensible to use one fluid type in the Supercharger,Auto and Power steering.
                            As type F was recommended for the Supercharger it appears I can use it on the others as well.
                            pb

Comment

Working...
                            X