PDA

View Full Version : gas tanks again

bensauber
04-01-2007, 02:14 PM
has anyone here tried the POR 15 gas tank kits for gas tanks?

36 dictator
48 starlite
50 starlite

bradnree
04-01-2007, 06:53 PM
do a search here for "draino". I and friends have used it several times to clean a tank and then just went with bare metal so as nothing will flake off ever again inside the tank. A dash of Marvel Mystery oil in the tank at fill up will keep the inside fresh..................Brad

Randy_G
04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Since I'm on a budget, I'm going to give the draino a shot at the Larks tank from what I can see from where you put the gas in I can see just a tiny bit of rust. IF that doesnt do the trick the radiator guy down the street said it would clean and seal it for a $100.00 either way the tank should be good to go.

Randy_G
South Bend or Bust 2007!
God I miss chrome on cars.
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/sedan4small.jpg

oltrknut
04-01-2007, 10:31 PM
I have done 5 tanks now with the pore-15, I remove the tanks and put about a quart of solvent and a tow chain in the tank and roll it around to remove as much lose rust as possible, very important to let the tank dry, very, very dry, several days , at this point I add about a quart of the por-15, and slowly roll the tank over until all surfaces are coated , patience required, this coating can be viewed with a mirror on a wand, available in most auto parts stores, I than let it dry for a week before installing it in the car again.The por-15 will also close small pinholes, use caution not to plug any plumbing. Pour any excess out and dispose of it , do not add it back to your good paint. It has been more than 2 years on the first tank with no problems. Ventilation is very important as many of you already know. Allen

http://i162.photobucket

Jackson
04-02-2007, 08:22 AM
I used the POR 15 gas tank kit on my 63 Lark. After using the cleaning agent supplied, I still had to have the tank boiled out at a local radiator shop. The POR 15 sealant worked well, just follow directions. I plan to do a 1955 gas tank next, I will have the tank boiled out ($40) and use the POR 15 sealant.

rockne10
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
With any tank sealant, it's important to keep the pick-up from getting clogged. Just blow air into the fuel outlet before the sealant sets.