Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starts, but won't run, or runs but can't start

can't start without ether anyway.

Ive got a fresh Carter AS 3370S ('62 Lark application) on the truck, which was running OK with it's old RBS, only the carb was changed. If I set the choke to 1 notch lean, it will start, but immediately load up and run very rich. If I set the choke to 5 notches lean so it runs fine immediately after starting, it won't start the next morning without either re-setting the choke or a light squirt of ether. Even the RBS was better than this, does anyone have any ideas?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post

Ive got a fresh Carter AS 3370S ('62 Lark application) on the truck, which was running OK with it's old RBS, only the carb was changed. If I set the choke to 1 notch lean, it will start, but immediately load up and run very rich. If I set the choke to 5 notches lean so it runs fine immediately after starting, it won't start the next morning without either re-setting the choke or a light squirt of ether. Even the RBS was better than this, does anyone have any ideas?
    I have the same problem with the Stromberg WW on my '53 Commander. It appears that the choke shaft is binding in the body of the carburetor. Lubing it and working it by hand freed it up considerably.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Make sure your "fresh carb" has a new, working accelerator pump too.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I got the kit from Studebaker International, it has an ethanol proof pump, which I have confirmed squirts well. The choke shaft is free. I set it up to the shop manual's specs (except dropped the float level 1/8" more for lower density modern gas). The adjustmetns were the same for both the '62 Lark (this carb) and teh '62 Champ (a different number carb). Odd thing is that when setting it up, I had to make big adjustments in the choke unloader and fast idle adjustments to get it in spec, but don't know where I need to take it to get it back where it was.

Ron

Originally posted by JDP View Post
        Make sure your "fresh carb" has a new, working accelerator pump too.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Here's today's update: before trying to start today, I checked the accelertator pump output again. It seems like the new ethanol proof pump cup is stickier than leather, and since there is only a spring to actuate it, it takes a while before it starts moving readily. So with several pumps, it finally started squirting correctly, and the truck started. That will fix that.

The other problem I haven't addressed yet is partial throttle backfiring. light acceleration is fine, full throttle creates a bog (probably acc pump) but at in the garage at mid throttle, it will pop and backfire contniuously. Ignition was triple checked and fine, including timing, and the timing marks stay steady, so it's not ignition (under 5000 miles on a Cathcart rebuilt dizzy with Pertronics ignition)

I took the dust over off of the top of the carb, and verified the step up piston and rod are moving smoothly, and double checked the metering rod adjustment. All is fine. Tried it again, it backfired and shot the step up piston and rod across the garage, which took 10 minutes to relocate...won't do that again without the dust cap.

Any more ideas what is wrong with this carb?

I got the kit from Studebaker International, it has an ethanol proof pump, which I have confirmed squirts well. The choke shaft is free. I set it up to the shop manual's specs (except dropped the float level 1/8" more for lower density modern gas). The adjustmetns were the same for both the '62 Lark (this carb) and teh '62 Champ (a different number carb). Odd thing is that when setting it up, I had to make big adjustments in the choke unloader and fast idle adjustments to get it in spec, but don't know where I need to take it to get it back where it was.

Ron
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Just had a thought: My truck has a PCV system, the '62 Lark (which the carb came from) does not. Could this be the problem? I'll plug the PCV later today and test it, and if so, without going to a road draft tube, what are my options to fix it?
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
            X