heater/defroster hose on 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater/defroster hose on 1950 Champion

Does the small hose that Tee's off the heater hose that runs from the water pump on my 50 attach to the top or the bottom defroster tube that extends through the firewall into the engine compartment?
    Thanks to anyone who can help me with this question.
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

There should be two hoses, two tees and, it shouldn't make any difference which one attaches to the two "nozzles" on the defroster core.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would argue that, at least theoretically (maybe not practically), it DOES matter wich end of the hose you hook into which end of the core. This is a cylindrical core, so you want the input to connect to the end of the tube that takes coolant on the shortest route into the car, to make sure that you'r getting the hottest water furthest into the car. I bet you that, with VERY sensitive thermometers on a very cold day, you could detect the difference between the two routes. I think that you would make more difference, however, by using a "Y" junction connector, rather than a "T" where you tap into the main hose. It would increase coolant circulation rate through the core, assming you install the Ys with the correct "upstream" and "downstream" orientation. There, I officially way overthought this minor topic.
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Thank-You, it is as I thought-it really doesn't matter-too much. It appears that the hot water is going to to in a circle and back out. I am guessing that the water pressure from the water pump will cause the hottest water to go through the coil and out into the return line as a little bit cooler water.
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana
        1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Working...
        X