Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine blocks ?

Hi All,
    Just trying to fill in one of my many knowledge blanks. How many different V8 block castings were there?
    Thanks,
    Mr Mike

Well, the quick answer is one. There is really only one basic Studebaker engine V8 engine block, not counting the one Packard block used in 1956 (it was a Packard), and not counting the GM McKinnon used in 1965-66 (it was a GM). However, in the V8 Studebaker block there are three variations, and when you add in the different cranks and heads, there are a lot of actual engines built on this block. The first generation V8 was the 232ci of 1951-1954. The second one was the enlarged bore with smaller lifters version used from 1955 to 1962 (224, 259, 289ci). This version used the same block, but it had smaller lifters and bigger bores, moved the fuel pump to the timing cover, different distributor, other variations. The last iteration of the same basic block was the "full flow" of 1963-1964, this was the same block as the other two, but it was drilled for oiling through an add-on oil filter in the lower right corner. This is the block that made the Avanti R1-R2-R3-R4. Many people prefer the full flow for the oiling improvement, but the earlier blocks are supposed to have tighter tolerances.

Comment

Agree with ya whacker. I was told that the 224 had smaller valves than the 259 & 289. I looked in the book and the book shows the same part number for the valves used on all engines. Anybody know? Thanks.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

Jake; someone just got confused between the 232 and 224, No 224's do NOT have smaller valves, it is the same engine as a '55 259 with a short stroke! [^] The valves are all the same '55-'64 including Avanti, they just used the Stelite tipped ones, and of course R3 & 4 had bigger ones.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmmmm..

Not counting the "little" blocks, two...partial flow and full flow versions. I believe these were the only casting changes in the 259/289 series blocks.
          These may have also included interior (water jacket) changes between the partial and full flow around the cylinders since the right side of most full flow blocks have slightly different cylinder wall thickness's than the left side.

Of course there may have been casting alterations to the few blocks that were used for the Indy engines, but of course....we wouldn't see those on the street!

Mike

Comment

I think I agree with Mike here[:0]. I would've said partial flow and full flow. But beyond the accomodation of the full-flo oil filtration, the block's pretty much the same, back to the first ones made.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And they change style of water plug in 1962. One was rusted out when I started up my Avanti 2 weeks ago after winter storage, and of course, the spare ones I had was the wrong style. I order the deeper style water plug and today I replace it. Tomorrow I will fill it up with water and anti freeze and burn some rubber.
              Lennart...
              Lennart...
              -63 Avanti R1
              -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
              -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
              -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

There were several casting changes.

The 232 had a hole for the fuel pump push rod and other minor differences, the the later partial flow block, then the full flow.Oil return to the pan was also improved on the latest blocks because of the Avanti engines.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                63 Avanti R1
                63 Daytona convert-63
                63 Lark 2 door
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                59 3E truck
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey!
                  What about the small displacement V8 block Studebaker cast up?
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Well, the quick answer is one. There is really only one basic Studebaker engine V8 engine block, not counting the one Packard block used in 1956 (it was a Packard), and not counting the GM McKinnon used in 1965-66 (it was a GM). However, in the V8 Studebaker block there are three variations, and when you add in the different cranks and heads, there are a lot of actual engines built on this block. The first generation V8 was the 232ci of 1951-1954. The second one was the enlarged bore with smaller lifters version used from 1955 to 1962 (224, 259, 289ci). This version used the same block, but it had smaller lifters and bigger bores, moved the fuel pump to the timing cover, different distributor, other variations. The last iteration of the same basic block was the "full flow" of 1963-1964, this was the same block as the other two, but it was drilled for oiling through an add-on oil filter in the lower right corner. This is the block that made the Avanti R1-R2-R3-R4. Many people prefer the full flow for the oiling improvement, but the earlier blocks are supposed to have tighter tolerances.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

And it's a darned good thing that he didn't ask about the Studebaker V10 and V12 engine program....[:0]
                    (But we know what day today is, don't we)
                    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                    Brooklet, Georgia
                    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                    '61 Hawk (project)
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sunday???[8]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Man if you could only photoshop my Lark into doing the repairs themselves. Maybe moorph it into a 56 Golden Hawk while your at it.

Randy_G
                        South Bend or Bust 2007!
                        God I miss chrome on cars.
                        This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Thanks for the info and comments guys!
                          I find it rather amazing that, in their first V8, they designed a block that would allow an increase in CID of almost one third with only a few minor changes! It would seem design prowess was not limited to Mr. Loewy.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I sometimes wonder what might have happened if the money Studebaker spent on diversification had been reinvested in the company?

Mr Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X