Avanti engine noise suppression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti engine noise suppression

My resto-mod R-3 is running like a champ now and I have spent some considerable time cruising - and notice it's a noisy beast. Any Avanti owners have any luck with the under hood pad knocking down some of the wonderful sounds coming from under the hood? Or has anyone installed padding behind the dash?
    Avanti R-1 #2552
    Now set up as an R-3

Are you sure it is not RPM related, since many Avantis have 3.73 or lower gears for some decent performance, they do tend to over-rev at 70 plus MPH, and depending on your muffler choice, will be VERY noisy!

The stock "quiet-tone exhaust" set-up (used after the Calif. DOT outlawed the straight thru system) is supposed to be stock large oval mufflers AND resonators with crossover equalizer pipe, most of which can not be found today.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Rich - partially exhaust noise ( will check on the exhaust config as you noted ) but more mechanical - whine of the Paxton, etc. that i'd like to knock down a bit.....
      Avanti R-1 #2552
      Now set up as an R-3

Comment

If it's exhaust/road noise, check for the hole in the body directly over of the "pumpkin". It serves no purpose other then letting dust and noise bounce around inside the fuel tank area. Seal it. AOAI Magazine published "The Useless Hole" article twice over the years.

Comment

The underhood pad made a big difference for me. Definitely look for any open holes, plenty of possibilities. I put sound deadening everywhere I could and the engine noise is no longer obtrusive so it can be done.

ErnieR

Comment

Originally posted by 63RedR3 View Post
            whine of the Paxton, etc. that i'd like to knock down a bit.....
            Are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              Are you serious?
              Matthew has the sound of the Paxton whine recorded on his MP3 player so that he can listen to it when he drives his car around town.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Hey Brent, that's not a bad idea...

I do have a "Supercharged by McCullough" decal on the back glass of my F150... Unfortunately, that did not produce the whine I desire.

I'm going to paint the AC compressor orange to see if that'll help.

Comment

Hey Brent, that's not a bad idea...

I do have a "Supercharged by McCullough" decal on the back glass of my F150... Unfortunately, that did not produce the whine I desire.

I'm going to paint the AC compressor orange to see if that'll help.
                  Guess that means the next truck after that F150 of yours is gonna be the Lightning then? You know those vehicles are blower equipped as well ....
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Thanks all - noticed the hole when I pulled the tank for boiling/sealing and couldn't figure why it was there so closed it, got that one right I guess - Ernie - thanks, will get the pad and score some deadening materials and stuff it around.
                    Avanti R-1 #2552
                    Now set up as an R-3

Comment

and here the rest of us try to make our cars sound like Avantis...

nate
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        Are you serious?
                        It's more like cruising with your favorite music in the background vs. the same tune playing at ear splitting volume over and over. The sound doesn't disappear it just becomes a part of the ambience along with actually hearing the radio and being able to talk to whomever may be with you.

It's hard to keep them quiet at cruising speed especially with the lower rear gears.

ErnieR

Comment

The Hole Over The "Pumpkin" Was Designed By Studebaker For The Original Passage Way For The Fuel Line. (Per Nate Altman, Avanti Motors,1977)

Comment

The whine on mine is noticeable and a bit irritating at approx. 3000 rpm. Below and above that it is fine. Unfortunately, 3000 rpm is 60 mph, a comfortable cruising speed for 2-lane highways. I seriously doubt that you would get any engine noise from that hole in the rear. I use that hole to in-feed wiring from a fuel pump and solenoid cut-off. The hole also provides an early indication of a fuel leak from the tank before fuel finds its way to the area under the rear seat. I wouldn't seal it off.

Comment

$500 for Dynamat and a week to remove the interior and install it. You won't believe it is the same car.

thnx, jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X