Silicon brake fluild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicon brake fluild

In working on Skips LaSalle, we both decided the under $200 investment in new wheel cylinders was cheap insurance since it had been many years since they were replaced. He'd used Dot 5 fluid since the last rebuild, but we both expected some issues. After pulling and replacing all the cylinders, a careful inspection of the old ones revealed they could pass as brand new as far as I can tell. Not a blemish on the bores, all the rubber and pistons were pristine.
    There may have been some slight seepage over the many years, but at worst, a kit and a quick hone would have brought them back for about half the money. Still, overall the extra few bucks for new is no big deal, and he'll have good cores for the next rebuilt in 2025.

After I was done with the swap, and N8 helped with a good flush and bleed, the brakes do work much better. BTW, I bought a gallon of military surplus fluid for $50 on ebay, quite a bargain and the only stuff I'll use when doing a overhaul.
    JDP Maryland

No offense intended, John, but I think you mean silicone, not silicon brake fluid. Its a common mix-up, but you don't want silicon in your brake fluid.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

Yep, I had my calipers sleeved by Stainless Steel Brake Corp of New York in 1990, put in new lines and new rear cylinders, filled it up with Dot 5, and to now have been perfect. Previously with Dot 3 the calipers would get water in them and pit with rust every year or two. Dan

Comment

Working...
      X