V8 Exhaust manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Exhaust manifolds

Discovered that my 63 full flow 289 has a crack in the right exhaust manifold. Parts books show #536194 for 55 - 62 and #1559666 for 63 - 64. Anyone know what the difference is? Anyone have an extra one?

Cliff
    54 Commander Coupe driver
    53 Commander Hardtop project
    SE Washington State

Originally posted by cliffh View Post
    Discovered that my 63 full flow 289 has a crack in the right exhaust manifold. Parts books show #536194 for 55 - 62 and #1559666 for 63 - 64. Anyone know what the difference is? Anyone have an extra one?

Cliff
    The difference may have had something to do with the switch to alternators in '63. SASCO had piles of exhaust manifolds so I imagine that SI has plenty of them.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I don't think that there is much of a difference in the 259-289 exhaust manifolds. I agree with 53K, the difference may be the mounting location for the alternator bracket on the right manifold. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        I don't think that there is much of a difference in the 259-289 exhaust manifolds. I agree with 53K, the difference may be the mounting location for the alternator bracket on the right manifold. Bud
        If i were a betting man I would say that it is the length of the studs for the gen/alt bracket. The studs are considered part of the manifold part number in Stude-land; note that the pass. side Avanti manifold has a different P/N than the driver's side, even though theo nly diff between the two is the length of the studs for the downpipe (because the heat riser goes on the pass side)

In short, I don't believe there is any diff in the casting itself.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I just tried to order the pipes for the T-cab and the books the seller was working from said the numbers I have fit 1960-1962. I wonder what is different between those years and the 63 and 64. I am waiting for the supplier to call me back with different numbers and availability but if the pipes are different so may be the manifolds. Still dont know what is different. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

The 63 and 64 V8 truck engines use a full flow oil filter which means that the right head pipe has the bend farther down the pipe to clear the oil filter which will change the part number. N8N might be on to something with different stud length theory as that would explain the different part numbers. Other than the studs, the exhaust manifolds from any 259 or 289 should be interchangeable with the exception of the Avantis. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              The 63 and 64 V8 truck engines use a full flow oil filter which means that the right head pipe has the bend farther down the pipe to clear the oil filter which will change the part number. N8N might be on to something with different stud length theory as that would explain the different part numbers. Other than the studs, the exhaust manifolds from any 259 or 289 should be interchangeable with the exception of the Avantis. Bud
              AHH, That explains it. Does anyone know the correct number for the pipe on the 63 and 64 289? I HAVE to go get my manuals disc from the shop that has them at the moment. Thanks, Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cliffh View Post

Cliff

I have one on a parts engine. Tried to pull it a few minutes ago with no luck. First 8 bolts came out easily, next one broke. I sprayed the others with penetrating oil and will try again tommorrow. They will need the flanges rebolted. Let me know if you still need them. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

SASCO used to list new V8 exhaust manifolds in their inventory. Since Ed Reynolds bought SASCO's inventory, I would think that Studebaker International will have the manifolds listed in their inventory. Bud

Comment

I'm in Spokane and have several, will check to see if they are good, don't know if there is any difference

Comment

I thought there was a difference in port size, but can't confirm that from here... I am on my way to Glendale and in Tucumcari tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by jallen View Post
                        I'm in Spokane and have several, will check to see if they are good, don't know if there is any difference
                        Let me know if you find a good one. email address is ellenh at bmi dot net
                        Thanks
                        Cliff
                        Walla Walla
                        54 Commander Coupe driver
                        53 Commander Hardtop project
                        SE Washington State

Comment

Working...
                        X