Studebaker Speedster???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Speedster???

I would like to build an early American Speedster 1908 or so to 1920 or so. Has anyone ever seen a Studebaker speedster or have a picture they could post??
    The next question would be, how difficult would it be to find a rolling chassis with running gear?

I am looking at building a Model T speedster but thought a Studebaker would be a bit larger and nicer looking. I am new to the Studebaker world so I do not know wheelbases or other important info, yet.
    Thanks for any help or advice,
    Martin

Cooke,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    On occasion, someone will post information about a chassis and cab, or even a near complete example, of that vintage.
    Few of us even consider jumping on it, knowing it would be an extreme and financially prohibitive restoration.
    Turning one of these in to a Speedster would actually reduce the "restoration" pressure.

I'm sure Richard Quinn has more information than you would ever need and will no doubt be posting a response here shortly.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Might ask Gary Ash about the early speedsters also. He is building a similar nehicle and might have some pics and info he would share with you. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Gary is building a 32'

Also there was an early 20's rolling chassis on ebay recently maybe check completed listings and contact the owner.
        John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Unless Gary is tackling two projects, he is attempting to repro the Indianapolis 500 race car; not quite what I would characterize as a Speedster.
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There is a nice 1915 Studebaker Speedster at the Tupelo, MS Auto Museum. Web site is; http://www.tupeloautomuseum.com/index.php
            They do not have a picture of it on the web site and you can't take pictures of the cars when you visit the museum. You might be able to get some help from them if you contact the Museum.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

From a Rick Peterson photo in Jan-Feb, 2008 ANTIQUE STUDEBAKER REVIEW.

This would have a 121" wheelbase.
              Last edited by rockne10; 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM. Reason: technical information
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Martin--

Apart from the apparent 1926-7 Stude hulk I found during my recent Campbellford trip, I got a line (in the same town, which BTW is absolutely rife with old cars for such a small place) on a chassis and engine from a Teens Studebaker that might be just what you're looking for. It's owned by a Model T restorer (he has about a dozen Ts, several of which are breathtaking restorations); he indicated it has a Stude engine in it but a Model T rear-end...PM me offline and I'll send you his contact info if you like.

S.

Comment

A little off topic, but I'm building a 37' Stude three-wheeled boat-tailed speedster.....
                  Greg
                  Greg
                  http://salt2salt.com racing a 53' Stude on the salt.
                  http://tribaker.wordpress.com building a 37' Stude boat-tailed speedster 3-wheeler
                  http://turbostude.com building a 50' bullet-nose with a turbocharged stude flathead six (site under reconstruction)
                  sigpic

Comment

I can give you some pointers, I'm building a Packard Speedster, using as many Packard parts as I can find, spanning all years. Don't mind the '48 hood on the back, I'm running out of room in the garage:

Comment

Hi Steve,
                      I have tried to PM you but not sure it worked, please email his contact info to me martin@abouttimect.com thanks very much.
                      Martin

Comment

I am working on a 27 Studebaker that will be a speedster .I've only had it a week . I will post pics later on . this will not be a quick project
                        joe Emanuele

Comment

Martin, (Cooke) on your initial registration you forgot to include your City and State or approximate location on your Profile.
                          That makes it very hard for anyone to help, not knowing at least what part of the Country any Cars and or Parts need to go to.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here are some more photos of the 1915 at the Tupelo Museum:

Amazing what headlight placement does for aesthetics.
                            Andy
                            62 GT

Comment

I can't help you with building a Studebaker speedster, but if you want to build a Ford speedster, there are 2 kits that you can buy and build. Of course, you need to purchase the running gear and chassis. You can congact Don Lang (Lang's Antique Auto parts in Massachusets) for Model T kits, or Bratton's or Snyders for Model A kits. It all depends on how handy you are.
                              Hope this is helpful.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X