Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon Delight

//////////////////////
    Last edited by Studedude; 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Thanks for the link, Dave. That is a beautiful automobile. I would agree with the statement that it is "easy to drive", but add that it is difficult to see out of from behind the wheel. The hood is long and the fenders are low. You have to "know" where they are because you can't see them. Add to that the small two piece rear windows waaaaaaaaay back there, and you can't see much behind you either.
    Mine doesn't have O/D but does have a hill holder. And that straight eight is wisper quiet and will get down the road. I love the paint job. Mine isn't tutone.

I'll defer your friend's questions to Richard Quinn.
    Last edited by JWW; 05-23-2010, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I thought it fitting that the song 'Afternoon Delight' be included.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Fell in love with it, and for good reason!
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Driving a 40-41

Bob Heinson on LI has a 41 Business Coupe that I have driven many times. It really is a thrill to drive something that awesome! Chris, you are indeed blessed!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Dave - I owned a 1940 President for many years.

The engine is a 250.4 cubic inch straight eight of 110 HP.

There was a Club Sedan (two door), Cruising Sedan (four door) and Coupe (3 pass.).

I remember Delux-tone from 1941, but not 1940 (my '40 was all black).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In April 1940, Studebaker made a bold move and introduced an all new trim series called the Delux-tone. Offered on all models, even including the Champion line, the Delux-tone models were, up to that time, the flashiest cars ever offered by Studebaker. Commander and President Delux-tone models featured colorful two-tone interiors, standard whitewall tires, Burnt Orange or Maroon wheels, deluxe steering wheels, tenite gear shift knobs and five different two-tone paint combinations. Although little known, Delux-tone 1940 Commanders and Presidents were also available with four different solid exterior colors. The solid colored models still came with two-tone interiors. Delux-tone models sold for only $40.00 more than regular models; certainly a bargain.

This, and a lot more info, was published in the August, 1988 issue of Turning Wheels. Compiled by Fred K. Fox.

The car that Occifer Dave posted is a Delux-tone President Cruising Sedan.

Also, FWIW, the Club Sedan was a two door. Here's Richard Quinn's example:

Last edited by mbstude; 05-23-2010, 04:01 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to.

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for posting the pictures. The 1940 President is absolutely fabulous and of the other Studes, I really like that orange Champ truck custom, the custom Lark wagon and of course Sheba. Next year my Avanti will be there, yesterday I was committed to other things so couldn't make it across town for the meet. When is Sheba getting new wheels? You know what happens when a women doesn't get new jewelry
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Matthew has the facts correct. I might add that the two toning of the top and bottom was not available on the Commander and President coupes since there was no convenient break line on these bodies. Caravans of the new colorful cars were sent around the country from dealer to dealer to show off the new paints colors and schemes (see above). The DeLux-tone models even had a different body tag. A portfolio with eleven different color plates was sent to dealers to illustrate the colors.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                  X