No announcement yet.

1557672 - Rear Shoes for Front Disc Cars - GOOD PART NUMBERS FOUND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Chuck Collins in AZ has them and more, I know because I sent him lots of cores for all sizes.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Good information. I hate getting raped for some of these parts.

Comment

Remember the number on the box, not the retail part number, is the same for all shoes for the specific application. The manufacture will assign their own prefix but, the follow on number will be the same.

Comment

Brake shoes

have never used shoes for 64 avanti......if interested shoot me your offer off list.

Comment

EXCELLENT, George. Good research that paid off.
            This is good news as these have been difficult to come by.
            It stands to reason Studebaker would have used something off the shelf for that application, and you found the shelf 50 years later! <GGG> BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

what's the diff between the no. 53 and 173 (which I thought was the correct number?)

nate

edit: never mind, I just answered my own question. below text shamelessly copied from Bob Johnstone's site

BRAK - BRAKLIN - 63 - 64 Avanti (all) Brake Shoes (Rear)
              1557672 Edited Jan 2002) NAPA B-173 Bendix 173 Note: B 173
              Check for 5/16 Cyl input Slot B-53 used on Avanti II's, is larger-check all
              shoes ( See http://www.studebaker-info.org/Text3/RQBrearbrakes.txt )
              B173 is correct for the Avanti's with the 3/4" rear cylinders. B53 was for
              an old truck? number although I think works on later II's with the
              larger wheel cylinder.-wf. (jan 2007)

Let us know if the 53's work OK with the original wheel cyls. or if that area can be gently modded to match the old ones.

nate
              Last edited by N8N; 05-23-2010, 07:09 PM.
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I've been running the Napa TS53 set on my front disc 63 Lark for about 3 years. They have been working fine on my daily driver with 3/4 in wheel cylinders. I also found them on the shelf. I was pulling the axles to grease the wheel bearings. I found the shoes paper thin when I pulled the drums. I had heard that they were the same as the early C-Cab 1/2 ton trucks. The guy at Napa didn't have a listing for the disc cars. I asked about truck listings. He looked up a 49 truck. We matched up the shoes off the shelf to my samples. While I was there I bought 2 cylinder kits #127 in Napa's brand brake parts. They are for the 3/4 inch bore cyl. There were enough parts in the kit to repair what was worn in mine. My cylinders. cleaned up with easily with a hone.

Gordon

Comment

Yes they are the same as the #53 truck shoes except they have an extra hole in them I ordered some for a truck I had and then compared them to find the truck ones had the extra holes in them So I then ordered a couple spare sets for the Avanti, both sets also had the extra hole. These came from Carquest. I initially identified them as being the same by looking up them in my Wagner books, that is when I found the only difference is the extra hole. Best part was these were new shoes with no cores needed.
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

where's the extra hole? I'm not seeing it in the photo above...

nate
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

If you look closely at these great pics, you CAN see that the Wheel Cylinder piston TAB is narrower as Nate said, on the PB53 than on the old shoes George had, which MAY be the Correct Part #173, which has been the Industry Standard Part Number for many years. If that is true it does not SEEM to make a difference.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good info, thanks!! The last few Stude brake jobs I did, I sent the shoes to Brake and Clutch Supply in Seattle to get relined. They were quite reasonable, and only took a few days. It cost 44+12 for freight. Just another option if you can't find them locally on the shelf....

Comment

These brake shoes sell for $26.50 set, plus your cores, or $6.50 core charge. Am I missing something here?
                          Bo

Comment

When replacing these shoes, I always round off the 4 edges of each tab before installation. The tab edges tend to cut the wheel cylinder boots if you are not extremely careful during the installation.

Comment

$26.50?

Originally posted by bomarkham View Post
                              These brake shoes sell for $26.50 set, plus your cores, or $6.50 core charge. Am I missing something here?
                              I don't know where you found $26.50 but this seems to be the best deal on this post from George:
                              NAPA
                              Part number TS53 (TruStop) @ $29 plus $6.50 core
                              http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...2031003+101953

Of course we all know that the quality varies a lot with each Brand and line of Shoes, sometimes the life and thickness of the lining makes it CHEAPER to buy a bit more expensive Shoes.

It appears that is what George did, he bought the OEM Brand Wagner PAB53 from China for $44.00 from O'Reilly's and paid SHIPPING, maybe thinking Wagner would be higher quality for MORE money, that USED TO work, but in this case with offshore Mfg. maybe time will tell if it was a good buy!

I think I would have chosen to drive 3 miles to NAPA and picked up theirs for $29.00 and free shipping, then they would have gotten me for 8.50% WA State Sales Tax though and I DID, but who knows if the NAPA Tru Stop is as good, the ones I have here now have very thin linings.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X