Markings on firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markings on firewall

Our '53 Commander has a 153 in white marked on the passenger side of the firewall. Any significance?
    sigpic

Probably a factory ID number. They did that while parts/frames were in storage in the main yard and when they needed such a part to go down the line, they would look for that number and get it.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

What he said, haha! Alot of people have found them on there cars; usually not too significant, but really cool none the less! I got some on mine, but they are red.
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

These markings are pretty common. That is if you're talking about the grease-pencil marks. My Bess has one too:
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Are you sure these aren't rotation numbers having to do with the assembly of the cars?
          In some other marques these grease pencil figures are put on at the buck stage when one can not yet tell what kind of car it will become.
          They existed to cue assembly plant workers to all kinds of things such as options or colors.
          Compile what everyone has and what year/kind of Studebaker it is, and the options, and you may be able to figure out what 153 and X1930 actually mean.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
            Our '53 Commander has a 153 in white marked on the passenger side of the firewall. Any significance?
            All the "grease-pencil" type markings I’ve ever seen on that side of the cowl were on Studebaker’s assembled at the Vernon Plant. But of course they do a lot of things differently …out there in Ka-lif-for-ne-a

Most likely was used to identify the "Line-set" number of that particular body.

CORRECTION ...just double-checked my info and it was the "FACTORY ORDER NUMBER" ...not the "Line-set" number ...that Studebaker's Vernon, CA Plant wrote on the cowl. Will post an example of the cowl marking and the corresponding Production Order here ...as soon as I learn how<G>
            Last edited by Welcome; 05-22-2010, 03:34 PM. Reason: spacing

Comment

My '53 C was South Bend assembled. It has a yellow 5. I think it might have identified the line worker who completed or inspected that portion of the assembly.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Below, the "PRODUCTION ORDER" along with corresponding "FACTORY ORDER NUMBER" Studebaker's Vernon, CA Plant marked on the cowl of this '56 Golden Hawk.

Last edited by Welcome; 05-22-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

In prior posts we have already determined that the LINE NUMBER was grease penciled on the firewall of South Bend Trucks, verified by the Production order and the number on the Bellhousing, to mate the correct Engine, and Truck.

The South Bend Cars have the Model code: 64V-J8 etc. on the outboard side of the left frame rail, I think the Line Number, maybe Serial Number follows, I'll have to check one of my 5 SB '64's.

And the Line Number will be UNDER the paint on the firewall.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hamilton cars often had other markings, both under the paint, and on it. The color of the car is near the wiper motor under the paint, but texture of the grease pencil can still be made out in the paint. Other information such as solex glass and the date also may appear after the car was painted as well.

Craig
                    Last edited by 8E45E; 05-22-2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Welcome; 05-23-2010, 04:22 AM.

Comment

My '56 President Classic, which was built in California, also has a black grease pencil number on the pass. side, like in Ron's photo above. I'll have to go over to the shop to remember the actual number.....I'll post it later.
                        Mike Sal

Comment

The "Rush" on my car looks like it was written with a silver sharpie of some sort. It doesn't look like a grease pencil. Not sure what was available in 1960 for markers. It seems to be very permanent. I plan to take a picture of it before reassembly.
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

My former 56J (S/N 6031654) that was assembled in South Bend was marked "JK7" with a grease pencil on the firewall. It had been painted over by a previous owner but it could be plainly seen so I went over it with a new grease pencil. I always assumed it had simply something to do with the fact it was 56J-K7.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0636.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1715504
                            Bill L.
                            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                            X