GT Hawh Torque Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawh Torque Boxes

How much of a job is it to replace the torque boxes on a GT Hawk? Are they also called inner rockers?
    Allen

The Classic Enterprises website http://www.classicent.com/coupes_hawks.php shows torque boxes and inner rocker panels as two seperate parts.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I installed new hogthroughs along with rockers in my 62 GT and it was a job and not something to be tackled if you have little or no metal working experience. The worst part is cutting all the spot welds to get the old ones out. My memory is getting a little foggy about all the details as I did this in the mid nineties. Basically I had to cut one body mount off in order to slide the torque box in and then I just welded it back on. This is just the way I approached it. My car needed floors also so that made for additional work.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
        How much of a job is it to replace the torque boxes on a GT Hawk? Are they also called inner rockers?
        Allen

I did that on my car.... I recall there being a section that requires that the body be unbolted and lifted to allow insertion of the box. I did this one at a time, of course.
        You're not only dealing with the boxes, but the removable crossmember, the body braces and the inner and outer rocker panels. ...
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Allen, if you end up doing it, would you mind documenting it for those of us who might be contemplating/requiring the same.

I just got my first Stude two weeks ago - a 62 GT Hawk, and fear that I might have to tackle the same thing in the not too distant future. Your insight into the sheetmetal adventure would be appreciated.

Thanks
          sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

Working...
          X