Studebaker racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker racer

Having got back from Barbers fantastic museum recently, ( my 3rd visit), it just dawned on me that I don't remember anyone here or myself talking about the old Studebaker powered race car he has there. If none of you have seen it, be sure and look for it if you go down there. Most people think the place is just about bikes, but they have all kinds of cars, toys, books, outboard engines, etc. BUT- - the little race car with one of "our" motors in it is fabulous. I would include a pic, but they ask folks to take pics for themselves only, so I won't break that request now, although I will try to reach them to see if it is OK for a club website for this one car only. The car appears to be a Bonneville streamliner-type vehicle, and is quite good looking, just wish they would fire it up on one of my visits, as they do start everything occasionally. John

How about some pix?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hey, Chris, (and others) I know it has been a few days, but I just now talked to the people at Barbers, and they gave me permission to post the pic or two I have of the racer. NOW, as soon as my bride gets home from work and scans them for me, I'll put them on, thanks, John

Comment

Hi John,
        Barbers Museum sounds like a neat place. Where is it located?
        Looking forward to your pictures.
        Thanks
        Jim
        sigpic

Comment

Birmingham, AL
          My first visit was 12 years ago in his older location, buy boy howdy, what a collection even back then. I got a tour of the "to be restored" motorcycles, and I would have given my eye teeth for any of what looked to be 100+ bikes. His collection was 90% bikes and 10% cars back then. I've seen magazine pix, but they don't do justice to the magnitude.
          sigpic
          JohnP, driving & reviving
          60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Hey, Jim, allstateguy is right, it's in the Birmingham, Al. area, out I-20 eastbound toward Atlanta about 11 miles. I will put the pic or pics of the Stude powered car up after my bride scans them for me, but for more info, I think their website is www.barbermotorsports.com. I hope I have a pic of the sign explaining about the car too, it was so cool to see that in with all of their other fantastic displays. Be a good trip for the north Georgia guys to take during their zone meet!! (although they do have Road Atlanta right there in Braselton) All the staff there are just like your best friends to you when they are asked questions, and they have volunteers that walk around to assist people. I told them I would bring a mattress, live there, and work free if they would have me. Ha!! One of their staff is the rebuild area manager or some title like that, and races his and their vehicles too!! What a job. He actually gave our group a "inside" tour- - -unreal. Later, John

Comment

OK, trying to post the Studebaker racecar pics courtesy of and with permission from Barbers Musuem. As you will notice, I don't have a picture of the card telling about it- - sorry, John
              Attached Files
              Last edited by j.byrd; 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM. Reason: trying to post pics

Comment

Wow, that is not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting an Indy type racer, but that is one neat car. Thanks for posting, I have never seen nor heard of it.

Mark

Comment

I saw this car a few years ago. Had to tell the guard it was a Studebaker engine. He was telling eveyrybody it was a Cadillac.
                  Jack White
                  Charlotte,NC
                  North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

maybe something like this is what you're looking for?
                    Evan Davis
                    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Some more pics of that car- from zone meet in Penticton a couple years ago:

Evan Davis
                      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

One more home made speedster i had pics of:

Evan Davis
                        Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Looks like the carburetor is a Ron's Flying Toilet.
                          Racers, chime in if I'm wrong.
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I've seen that Bonneville belly tank lakester and wondered what that stock 2-bbl Stude V8 is doing in there.

thnx, jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Ummm...guys...that's just a plain ol WCFB (4 barrel !) with a chrome or polished aluminum inlet bell. I can't see all of the pictures...but the main three...center shot..! The last picture would tell better if it was clear.
                              The engine seems to have all of the "stock" goodies on it. It may have been restored by someone that isn't that familliar with Bonneville racers.

Very cool car though. Thanks for the pictures.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X