Power Steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering problem

I just replaced the power steering cylinder and now, with the front of the 62 GT Hawk off the ground and supported on jack stands, the wheels creep to the right. If I attempt to turn the the steering wheel, from a center position, the wheels imediately swing hard to the right and oscillate violently until I turn the engine off. The power steering fluid is topped off and there only appears to be a very small leak at the lower hose connection to the cylinder. What should I be looking for? If the power steering system needs bleeding how do I do that?
    Peter Bishop

Peter, typically to bleed the air out of the system, turn lock to lock several times. Do not hold the wheel in the fully locked position for more than a couple of seconds. This should force all the air out of the lines. Keep an eye on the fluid level.
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

Comment

Thanks John. Now that the system is bled and the fluid levels are as required, what is causing and how do I fix the involuntary steering movement.
      Peter Bishop

Comment

Are you certain that you have the hoses hooked up to the correct ports on the ram and the control valve? I think somewhere on Bob Johnstone's site is an article with photos showing the correct connections. It'd be pretty easy to get them mixed up at the control valve as there's three connections very close together.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

If you switch the two hoses where they connect to the power ram, that will solve your problem.

Dan Miller
          Auburn, GA

Comment

Switching the hoses solved the problem. Once again the SDC comes to the rescue. Thank you!!!
            Peter Bishop

Comment

Working...
            X