PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Lee D's R2 Wagonaire FS!

bams50
05-21-2010, 05:54 AM
I didn't even know Lee had this! From the Swap Page:

1963 R2 4-Speed Wagonaire For Sale 63V15359Lee DeLaBarre
daytona62@comcast.net (daytona62@comcast.net)

Fort Wayne IN
260-385-1386I've decided it's time to really clean house. There are projects that I will never get to and, unfortunately, one of those is 63V15359. It is a TRUE 1963 Daytona Wagonaire with a FACTORY R2/4-Speed. The car is nearly complete, solid and a great base for a restoration. I will be getting it out of the garage soon for pictures (mid week next week).

Originally, it was Silver Mist with a Blue/White interior. It had a Blue Mist repaint somewhere in its past.

Engine number is JTS1403, 4-speed transmission, non-package car. It was a very early R2 before the full package was offered.

If you have interest, I will entertain SERIOUS offers. Drop me a note if you have interest in the car and I will send you photos as soon as I can get the cars in front of it out of the way and get it out for pix. Check the Jet Thust Registry on this car.... It will tell you some of what you need to know about it.

Last time I saw Lee was a couple years back at Reedsville, getting beat up by a chiseler on a complete taillight assembly priced at $5:mad: Probably CASOed out:rolleyes:

bob40
05-21-2010, 06:05 AM
I recall when he bought the wagon.It was during the newsgroup era and caused quite a stir when he bought it.Great story behind the find.I dont remember all the details so someone else(perhaps Lee himself)can tell the tale.

maxpower1954
05-21-2010, 07:30 AM
The perfect companion to my '63 R-2 GT four-speed! The definition of an Uber-sleeper....Hope to see some pictures here on the forum! I forget, how many R-2 Wagonaires were built? NCSDC member Truett Ray had one in his 200 plus Studebaker parts car collection before it was liquadated, sans engine. Russ Farris

R3 challenger
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
My production order research found 15 1963 R2 Wagonaires. See either the September, 1988, issue of Turning Wheels or the Studebaker National Museum's publication called "Super Studebakers!" for more details.

George

r1lark
05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
The perfect companion to my '63 R-2 GT four-speed! The definition of an Uber-sleeper....Hope to see some pictures here on the forum! I forget, how many R-2 Wagonaires were built? NCSDC member Truett Ray had one in his 200 plus Studebaker parts car collection before it was liquadated, sans engine. Russ Farris

Russ,

The one Truett had was one of the two R2/Full Package '63 Wagonaires. I know where the engine is <G>.

JDP
05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I recall when he bought the wagon.It was during the newsgroup era and caused quite a stir when he bought it.Great story behind the find.I dont remember all the details so someone else(perhaps Lee himself)can tell the tale.

He was at a estate auction and saw the car. The blower stuff was gone and no one knew the car was a factory R2. I ran the numbers for him and he bought it for a song. The other CASO Studebaker guys at the action though he was a fool for spending somewhere south of a grand for a than rough wagon.

JDP
05-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I spoke to Lee about the wagon. As I recall, it was one of eight built with the R2/4 speed. In the years he's owned it, he's been acquiring NOS parts that go with the car at the right price, even a very rare dash pad. He's entertaining offers over 10K, but will ebay it in a few weeks if no one steps up. If you recall, Brandon's much more common HT sold for over 12K on ebay, and the wagon should be worth more. I'd buy it myself, but don't have the time or money to tie up in a restoration even though the car should bring over 30K done right. I found him all the blower mounts , but it still needs the blower and a full restoration. He got it to run once, but obviously it'll need a engine rebuild.

BTW, he also has a mint, 64 Avanti frame for $2500.

bams50
05-21-2010, 02:08 PM
He was at a estate auction and saw the car. The blower stuff was gone and no one knew the car was a factory R2. I ran the numbers for him and he bought it for <DELETED> The other CASO Studebaker guys at the action though he was a fool for spending <DELETED> for a than rough wagon.

DANG, JP, I can't believe you'd tell that about somebody else's car!:eek: I'm sure Lee will just love you for sharing that on a public forum while he's trying to sell:rolleyes::D

It should be noted that Lee has a ton of goodies listed; Avanti frame, "at least" one Lark convertible frame, several engines including THREE R1s, and much more! An amazing stash. Take a look on the sales page:

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

daytona62
05-21-2010, 04:29 PM
He was at a estate auction and saw the car. The blower stuff was gone and no one knew the car was a factory R2. I ran the numbers for him and he bought it for a song. The other CASO Studebaker guys at the action though he was a fool for spending somewhere south of a grand for a than rough wagon.

Johnny... sometimes your memory is good and sometimes it is off a bit.. IF you remember correctly, I bought TWO Daytona Wagonaires that day. One I bought for me and one I bought in place of a friend who could not make the auction. The one I bought for a friend was on the south side of a grand. Mine was NOT.

8E45E
05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
DANG, JP, I can't believe you'd tell that about somebody else's car!:eek: I'm sure Lee will just love you for sharing that on a public forum while he's trying to sell:rolleyes::D

I'm sure Lee would. It appears J.P. is talking it ^UP^; not vDOWNv like some cars have been discussed here in the past.

Craig

bams50
05-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm sure Lee would. It appears J.P. is talking it ^UP^; not vDOWNv like some cars have been discussed here in the past.

Craig

How is it ever a good thing to mention what somebody paid for a big-ticket item, but especially when they're trying to SELL? Answer: NEVER.

Naturally there was no harm intended; just not well thought out:mad:

JDP
05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
My production order research found 15 1963 R2 Wagonaires. See either the September, 1988, issue of Turning Wheels or the Studebaker National Museum's publication called "Super Studebakers!" for more details.

George

I just counted 4 speed R-2's from the JT list and got 8.

JDP
05-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Johnny... sometimes your memory is good and sometimes it is off a bit.. IF you remember correctly, I bought TWO Daytona Wagonaires that day. One I bought for me and one I bought in place of a friend who could not make the auction. The one I bought for a friend was on the south side of a grand. Mine was NOT.

I got the price wrong, but it does not matter what the purchase price was, especially after work is done and parts bought. It's the value at resale.i.e. we knew Brandon bought is R2 for a fraction of what I was willing to pay him for it, and I'd do the same for Lee's car. Hell, the famous ebay 63 Tempest was purchased for a $100 or so and went for over 200K. BTW I paid $1500 for my unrestored R2 hardtop, and trust me, I would not have resold it for many times that.

Turbopackman
05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

maxpower1954
05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Russ,

The one Truett had was one of the two R2/Full Package '63 Wagonaires. I know where the engine is <G>.

Yeah Paul, in your basement! That wagon got scrapped, right? Russ Farris

58PackardWagon
05-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Wasn't this the R series wagon that the guy sold and his wife didn't know it. He died shortly after that transaction. A little while later she then sold it to someone else. Then when the original purchaser showed up, the car was gone and she had to refund him his money? I remember it being a blue one and it needed a full restoration. Please correct me if I am wrong.

JDP
05-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Wasn't this the R series wagon that the guy sold and his wife didn't know it. He died shortly after that transaction. A little while later she then sold it to someone else. Then when the original purchaser showed up, the car was gone and she had to refund him his money? I remember it being a blue one and it needed a full restoration. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think the spouse sold it, then died and the wife sold it to Lee at the estate sale. Since the first buyer never picked up the car, nor the title, Lee bought it legally later. Much the same thing happened with my R2 Lark, someone looking at it agreed to come back and pick it up later, but no money changed hands and after six months I heard about the car for sale and sent a check not knowing about the first guy. A few months later, the first guy tried to say it was "his" car, but I'd paid and shipped it by than. The wagon does need a full restoration, but Lee has collected a lot of NOS parts to finish it.

Brandon
05-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I remember a discussion like this about the R2 I had. I don't remember who said it, but it doesn't matter if Lee paid $5 bucks for the car I really don't think purchase price will affect selling price.

There was some confusion about my R2 and who the rightful owner of the car was. One of the sons threatened he was calling the police because his father gave him the car for his 30th birthday. When I purchased the Lark the son was 44 years old and the car was still sitting and rotting. I never had the police at my house and never heard anything else from the son, but it was the week the car was listed on E-bay and it did make me store the Lark in the garage until Danny had the transport semi pick it up.

By the way the last time I spoke with Danny he said the rotisserre resto was starting May 1st, I'll have to give him a call and see how it's coming along.

daytona62
05-22-2010, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Brandon;459323]I remember a discussion like this about the R2 I had. I don't remember who said it, but it doesn't matter if Lee paid $5 bucks for the car I really don't think purchase price will affect selling price.

There was some confusion about my R2 and who the rightful owner of the car was. ......

hi Brandon... I feel the same way... Had I paid $20k for the car and it sold for $8k no one would feel bad for me except me. IF I bought the car for $8k and it sold for $12k, some would say I'm a speculating bottom-feeder.

I bought the car at an estate auction. Fair and square... 50 people standing around witnessing it. I left that Saturday with a vaild State of Michigan title for a motor vehicle AND a "paid" reciept from the state-licensed auction company. There was no doubt in my mind who the legal owner of the car was. On Monday morning, the Indiana BMV also agreed who the rightful and legal owner was when they completed paperwork and issued me a Indiana title.

Unknown to me, the previous owner had, apparetnly, sold the car to another man very shortly before his death. The family knew about this and the man who bought it had, in good faith, tried to remove the car on several occasions. The car was in the back of a barn and many things had to be moved to get it out. Also, the widow said she was having trouble locating the title. Shortly before the auction, the family stopped responding to him and, shortly after the auction, they said they had no idea what he was talking about on the car and that it had been sold at auction... end of story.

I heard from him approximately EIGHT months later, when he had figured out I had bought it thru an online posting. By this time, I had put time and money in the car in checking it out, getting the engine to run, and buying as many NOS parts as I could find for it. It took some threats but the widow finally refunded MOST of what he'd paid the deceased spouse and, I am sure, it was a very stressful time for him. I am not going to disclose what he paid for it, how much (in time and actualy money) he lost nor many of the other details of that ordeal. It simply was unfortunate and, once everything was sorted, it's best to leave it alone.

I had planned on this being a true keeper car for as long as I was able to enjoy it. The reality of it is that I've had the car for several years. I had planned on being deep into the restoration by now. I've got several projects ahead of it and, realistically, I'm 10-15 years from starting the project due to keeping the farms going, the shop, family commitments, other projects that are already in progress and so on... I don't want to be finishing this car in 15-20 years and ending up with a beautiful car that I don't drive because it's too rare, too nice, etc.

Will I profit from selling the car? Most likely... Do I feel bad about it? No, I don't. When I saw the car, JP researched the numbers that night over the phone from my hotel room and confirmed it's lineage. I returned to the auction site the next morning and I was prepared to spend what the car was worth at that time (estimated $8k+) to be the caretaker of it. What I actually paid is not relavent. What the next owner of the car pays for it is not relavent. All that matters is that the car is saved, restored, enjoyed and shared.

JDP
05-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I recall the guy at that auction that picked up a real dog of a Lark, just because he was the only one that noticed the factory AM/FM..

daytona62
05-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I recall the guy at that auction that picked up a real dog of a Lark, just because he was the only one that noticed the factory AM/FM..

That was the general way this auction went. There were 17 Studebakers there. Probably another 80 or so farm trucks/pieces of equipment. A lot of the cars sold for $40-$100 because one had an AM/FM (this was '64 Wagonaire), a trashed Lark that may have had a 4-speed, a Hawk that had full instruments or wheel moldings, etc. There was also a scrap dealer on-site at the auction buying the hulks after the desirable parts were removed.

JDP
05-22-2010, 11:53 PM
That was the general way this auction went. There were 17 Studebakers there. Probably another 80 or so farm trucks/pieces of equipment. A lot of the cars sold for $40-$100 because one had an AM/FM (this was '64 Wagonaire), a trashed Lark that may have had a 4-speed, a Hawk that had full instruments or wheel moldings, etc. There was also a scrap dealer on-site at the auction buying the hulks after the desirable parts were removed.

Years ago, Dan Webber told me a story about a car that was scrapped. A buddy of his jumped into the car as it was on the way to the shredder and cleaned out the glove box, grabbed the lighter and radio knobs. Later, Dan noticed one knob had AM/FM markings.

dean pearson
05-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Ok I've been lured in, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat here,...
Am I gonna get to see some pics. ????

Dean.

daytona62
05-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Pix will be soon... within a few weeks... it is at the back of the building and 4 or 5 other Studebakers blocking it in right now.