Spark Plugs for OHV6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs for OHV6

I have performed an extensive search over the internet looking for a better and more readily available spark plug then the H14Y for my OHV6. Any suggestions?

The specified Champion plug changed several years ago to RH18Y. The parts store may understand Stock # 857 better than the plug number. I use these and am very happy with their performance. If you try to use H14Y you will probably experience hard starting and plug fouling.

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I don't understand how H-14Y (14) could be the wrong (too cold) a heat range, since that is what Studebaker engineers called out for use by the factory and all of it's Dealers! And Champion's application charts all show it also! [:0]

Or maybe you are saying what I have always believed, that is: that Champion no longer makes the correct heat range (H14Y) for old Ramblers and Studebakers nor cares! They just stamp a colder plug with the new equivalent # for H14Y!!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
        Or maybe you are saying what I have always believed, that is: that Champion no longer makes the correct heat range (H14Y) for old Ramblers and Studebakers nor cares! They just stamp a colder plug with the new equivalent # for H14Y!!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jpvill4th

I have performed an extensive search over the internet looking for a better and more readily available spark plug then the H14Y for my OHV6. Any suggestions?
          I have been using Autolite 437s in everything lately- seem to be much more reliable than the modern H14Ys (once they foul, they are throwaways).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Don't quote me on this, but I thought that the plugs have not changed, rather the modern unleaded gasoline requires a hotter plug to ignite and so it has been recommended to move up 1 to 2 heat ranges to get the same results as with the cooler plugs and the gas in the 50's and 60's.

55 Commander
            58 Transtar
            62 GT Hawk
            66 Cruiser

Comment

Except in this case they are stamping a HOTTER plug with the equivalent for H14Y. In general, and in virtually all spark plug brands, the higher the part number in a given number sequence, the hotter the plug.

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA

Dwain G.

Comment

I use RJ12YCs in my V8's and IIRC in my one OHV6.
                I bought an old Stude V8 truck that had been off the road for 15 or so years. It had H14's in it, so I bought the same number for replacements.
                When I pulled the old plugs, I compared them to the new, and although they have the same fitment, its obvious they are not the same plug.

3E38
                4E2
                4E28
                5E13
                7E7
                8E7
                8E12
                8E28
                4E2
                59 Lark
                etc

Comment