PDA

View Full Version : Authentic R-Engine Lark on e-bay

BobPalma
05-19-2010, 09:38 PM
This is an authentic R-engined Lark Custom 2-door with its original engine still in it; I just checked "the list."

'Not terrible for someone who wants to pursue a real JT 4-speed Lark with minimal rust and stay in the 4-figure range.

(No longer a 4-speed, I realize.)

Too early for fender tags or a full package, but it is a documented, legit JT car with original engine, by the numbers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-Studebaker-Lark-R1-Custom-2Dr-Sedan-/320534373763?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4aa1566583

JDP
05-19-2010, 09:53 PM
It's been up before, sadly R1's only bring maybe a 15% premium, not 100% or well over like the R2's.

bams50
05-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Just ended on the 10th at $3600:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-Studebaker-Lark-R1-Custom-2Dr-Sedan-/320526767034?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4aa0e253ba

The owner originally posted about it here and it was discussed. Can't find the thread.

If the owner is watching, maybe he could refresh our memories?

wolfie
05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
He offered it up here for $4500 before he listed it. I thought that was a great price really but wrong coast, terrible timing, etc.. Still think its a great car for that money. Steve

JeffDeWitt
05-19-2010, 11:51 PM
He's relisted it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320534373763

I'm not sure what he could do about it without spending money but somehow it looks really dowdy in those pictures. Maybe if he gave it a good cleaning and brightened up the picture?

Looks like a lot of car for the money, too bad it's on the wrong coast.

bams50
05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
He's relisted it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320534373763

Jeff- That's what Bob posted the thread about! See the link in his original post:o

sals54
05-20-2010, 03:13 AM
I guess I'll be the one to say it, but the ebay presentation is really going to hurt the sale of that car. The wheels look terrible, why not put some cheap speakers in the holes in the doors?, clean up the rubbing compound on the rear of the car, and take the car to a nice location that fits the car, rather than an ugly parking lot. And lastly, take some shots of the car that show it off a bit. Its about salesmanship as much as it is about the car. A little effort goes a long way to show your buyer just how much potential the car has. Part of purpose of the ad is to show your buyer why he should WANT to buy the car. Too many shots of how poor the undercarriage looks. If the underside of the car is not restored, then one shot of the belly is enough, in fact even one may be too many. Other than that, it looks great.

Laemmle
05-20-2010, 08:51 AM
As JDP would say..........watch out for a cheap Avanti...........to that I add........watch out for a cheap Jet Thrust Lark.........who out there would be satisfied to keep and drive the car as is?............Come on you all know you will begin the process to change and restore.........can anyone say $$$$$???

BobPalma
05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
I'll still defend the car for someone who wants a genuine, operable, authentic Jet-Thrust Lark and doesn't have a gazillion dollars to spend on an R2. This is about the bottom of the food chain as JT cars go; a 1963, an R1, and not a Daytona.

I bet you could do a lot with that car for several thousand additional dollars: New front springs, more appropriate tires and wheels, buff out what you could save of the paint and maybe shoot the roof on the cheap, etc, etc. The car was Ermine White originally, per the record; the easiest color to improve on the cheap. Heck, do your own decent prep and pay MAACO an extra $100 to do a nice overall job.

You could tidy up the installation of the automatic transmission if you couldn't afford to restore the 4-speed as built, and the air conditioning might make it acceptable for cruising and local car gatherings by an otherwise-recalcitrant wife / girlfriend. (And, of course, buy Avanti-Powered fender tags and install in them in the correct place.)

As Sal so accurately said, the presentation, here, begs for help. BP

fargoguy
05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
That's the car that is owned by Tom Branch from southern California. Tom and his wife Diana have two beautiful 32 fords- a roadster and a tudor- both 50's style rods using Stude V8 power:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/fargoguy66/tombranchroadster.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/fargoguy66/Dianabranchtudor3.jpg

fargoguy
05-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Here's the original thread:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?32623-Intro-R1-Lark-for-sale

sals54
05-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Bob, Please don't misunderstand. I love the car and I think the price on the car is more than fair. I just think the presentation in any ad should be to help sell the car. If you look at Tom's 32's, it's obvious he is well aware of the value of photography since his cars have been showcased in national magazines. An ebay ad is also a showcase for your car. That's all I'm sayin'.

BobPalma
05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Bob, Please don't misunderstand. I love the car and I think the price on the car is more than fair. I just think the presentation in any ad should be to help sell the car. If you look at Tom's 32's, it's obvious he is well aware of the value of photography since his cars have been showcased in national magazines. An ebay ad is also a showcase for your car. That's all I'm sayin'.

No misunderstnding, Sal; you and I are in full agreement that the poor Lark cries for a better presentation. Gosh, a fellow could spend an afternoon on that car with some prep and good photos and it would present so much better...and a genuine R-powered Lark with its original engine intact deserves it!

I didn't realize those were Tom's Fords with Stude power. Very cool. BP

fargoguy
05-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I didn't realize those were Tom's Fords with Stude power. Very cool. BP

Actually, Bob- the roadster is Tom's- i think that his wife, Diana, lays claim to the tudor. If i remember correctly, she also has a 55 c body as well.

sals54
05-20-2010, 11:02 PM
As far as presentation goes, I try to think of it as the value of my time. For example, if it were my car and my ad, I would think of each item translating into a percentage of the profit. 15 minutes to put on better wheels equals an increase profit of $400... plugging the speaker holes in half an hour equals an increase of $250.... a 2 hour photo shoot at the beach equals an increase of $800 plus I get a day at the beach. Anyway, you get the idea. For those sorts of items it comes out to a $1400 - $1800 increase in the sale price for an additional 3-4 hours of labor which means those hours of labor will net me close to $500 per hour. Time well spent, or should I say, money well earned.

studebaker of lompoc
06-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Well, who owns it now?????

wolfie
06-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Tom, PM sent. Steve