Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it now? Carburetor? or fuel pump? engine wont idle correctly

Hello All,

Well as you guys know I have a never ending problem with my engine. When I first bought the car it was kinda doing the same thing. I have replace the electric fuel pump for a Carter 7 psi and I have also replace the old Holley 600 for a new Edelbrock 1406 with automatic choke and i still have the problem that now my new carburetor is over floating and is not stable on idle, as you can see in the video the engine works fine in high idle but when is idling and I step on the gas it chokes, and i can also see the carburetor pushing the gas back to the line once the car is off.

I have replace almost the whole damm engine:

Chevy 350 5.7

Carter fuel pump 7psi
    Edelbrock 1406
    3/8 Steel Fuel line
    Fuel regulator
    Fuel sending unit with pickup
    I line my gas tank (seal it inside)
    HEI distributor with coil
    Spark plugs
    Spark plugs wires
    Thermostat
    Temperature sensor
    Starter
    Chrome headers Headers
    Chrome Valve covers
    New radiator hose
    Power steering pump
    I repair my power steering gear box
    Yes I change the transmission oil/filter and seal.
    and i have more more i have done....

Most of this things i mention here doesn't have anything to do with whats happening to me but just wanted to show how ungrateful my engine is

Here is a video you can see when i step on it, wants to turn off, We have play with the carburetor and cannot get it to idle fine for 5 minutes:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Here is the last video I took yesterday after changing the Valve covers:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Heres some pictures of what I have done lately to it:

Line my tank inside and painted outside

Summit chrome valve covers

Install my headers
    1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

Custom work on the headers so the power steering gear box wont touch the headers.

Repair and install power steering gear box.

Wiring harness for my 10" electric fan infront of the 2 circuit cooler.

A/C CONDENSER and a 2 circuit cooler for tranny cooling and power steering return line.

New fuel sending unit

Steel Braided hoses

Comment

Just for future reference, the flat plate type trans/ps coolers are a lot more efficient that the tube and fin type, albeit a little more expensive. You can mount a pair of these on the radiator to cool both power steering and transmission, as well as increasing the efficiency. As a rule of thumb, I never use the stock cooler on an old car, I always replace them with one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-679/
      Far more efficient than the tube and fin type, usually smaller, and worth the money. One rule to keep in mind, is that you can't over cool an automatic transmission. At least that's what every transmission guy has told me.

Comment

Here's a similar one from Jeg's. On these items I found they are quite a bit cheaper. I just installed one of these on mine. Mine was advertised as a Jeg's brand, but it says Hayden on it and was made in Australia!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60380/10002/-1
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I'm running 1406 on my 27 and have similar issues. Complained to the speed shop where I bought the carb, they told me to run no more than 6psi to the Edelbrock. I set the regulator to 5psi and problem solved. Before idle was inconsistat and it was running rich. The guys said a Edlebrock don't like high pressure and will pass fuel past the metering rods, float valve etc.
          59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
          27 Ford Roadster
          Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

Eric thanks for the advise I will consider it on my next build (64 cadillac Deville Convertible) reason I bought the Perma-cool is because it has a 2 circuit 1 for tranny cooler and another one for power steering gearbox return line.

Gearhead I will put my MR.Gasket regulator on number 5 and see what happens. Hopefully that fixes my problem.

Comment

Working...
            X