Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Noise on Left Turns

Hi All,

My 1954 Champion Coupe CK makes a vibrating noise while moving when turning left. It does not make the noise when turning right. Had front end checked and aligned last week, drums and wheels are on tight. I spent time with the alignment man trying to duplicate the noise. I could get it to make the noise slightly if I held the brake, raised engine rpms and let the clutch out slightly till the engine almost stalled. But we could not pinpoint where it was coming from.

It sounds like it is out front because you can hear it thru an open window while turning. But from the inside it seems to be coming from the area around the right side (from inside the car) passenger side of the engine. Hard to pin down the location.

Anyway thought I would pop up the question and see if any others might know. This car has a 6 cylinder engine, exhaust was checked and is tight, belts, hoses checked and are secure.

All suggestions and thoughts appreciated.

Henry Votel
    Forest Lake, MN
    Henry Votel,
    Forest Lake, MN
    Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Just plan your trips to avoid left turns.

You might check for soft motor mounts, & see if the exhaust is rubbing
    up against the frame anywhere. Its possible that with a loose mount
    the engine can "lean" and cause the exhaust to hit. Check the mount
    on the drivers side ... its a shot in the dark. Since you mention the
    reving of the engine kinda made the sound, the engine will torque to
    the passenger side, as it would in a left turn.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I had a similar problem with a '63 wagon. turned out to be the anti-sway bar in front had come out of the mounting bracket on the end.

Lotsa Larks!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Check your front wheel bearings, especially teh right side. When you turn left, you add load to the right side, amplifying ay problems that are there.

quote:Originally posted by Henry Votel

Hi All,

My 1954 Champion Coupe CK makes a vibrating noise while moving when turning left. It does not make the noise when turning right. Had front end checked and aligned last week, drums and wheels are on tight. I spent time with the alignment man trying to duplicate the noise. I could get it to make the noise slightly if I held the brake, raised engine rpms and let the clutch out slightly till the engine almost stalled. But we could not pinpoint where it was coming from.

It sounds like it is out front because you can hear it thru an open window while turning. But from the inside it seems to be coming from the area around the right side (from inside the car) passenger side of the engine. Hard to pin down the location.

Anyway thought I would pop up the question and see if any others might know. This car has a 6 cylinder engine, exhaust was checked and is tight, belts, hoses checked and are secure.

All suggestions and thoughts appreciated.

Henry Votel
        Forest Lake, MN
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Sorta sounds like the edge of a tire rubbing on something. Any obvious scrape marks on the inside walls of the tires?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

i don't know about c/k (dad has yet to get it on the road...) but my lark has p 205's up front and they rub a little but the noise is more pronounced when making sharp right turns as opposed to making left turns... so as Mr. Biggs said look there ... i'd also say check the drums since you mentioned that you replicated the noise while holding the brakes?.... as a side note a customer had a 66 buick that would make a horrible clunking noise while under moderate to hard acceleration which turned out to be the exhaust hitting the frame so dont rule that out either

Comment

Check around all the pulleys for evidence of rubbing, especially the generator pulley against the inner fender.

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
              X