LennyR2's Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LennyR2's Avanti

Lenny asked me to post some photos of his Avanti. I'm sure that once he figured out the new forum he'll be more than happy to give us some details.

Nice...more than nice...simply gorgeous!
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The pictures of the engine compartment show the Honda battery installed&Jerry Forresters rechromed valve covers.Most of the chrome has
      been replated,the hood painted.To detail the engine compartment took 3 months &remove and replace the water manifold.Idrilled out the
      thermostat bypass hole to 3/4 as sugested by Jon Myer.The picture of the Avanti is from sunday the first show for the car this year.I won
      a trophy for best car at the show.

Comment

Lenny, what a beautiful Avanti. Could you post a few pics of the interior? Congratulation on the show win too.

Here is my R2 after working to get her running and stopping again. I am happy just to get her to driving status. But now I have something to aim for.
        Attached Files
        John
        1963 Avanti R2
        Marshall, VA

Comment

Hi John
          Nice Avanti you have is it grey or green.Ihave my Avanti 6 years & just detailed the engine compartment this year.When i
          got my Avanti it didnt run well & did not stop.

Comment

Lenny,

I posted the same two pictures of your engine compartment showing the Group 51 size battery (Honda Civic 92~95 1.5L application) versus using the old 3EE battery over on the Technical post I started a couple of weeks ago so everyone could see what the Group 51 battery looks like in an Avanti. Thanks Matt for helping him out with the pictures.
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386
            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Lenny, it is a dark jade green with a hint of metallic. It does need repainting, which is next on the major expense list, maybe this fall. It was changed from Avanti Red to the green in the early 70s. Right now we are just enjoying driving it and sorting out little things. Then of course parts of the interior have to be done.
              John
              1963 Avanti R2
              Marshall, VA

Comment

I like how the group 51 battery leaves room for the coolant recovery bottle off the expantion tank. Gives the best of both worlds-original expantion tank and the benefit of the use of the recovery system as used in current cars.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Looks very nice! I have to admit though, when I first saw that battery, I was wondering why it was so small! Then I remembered its a Avanti, not a Lark! LOL!
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Aint nuthin prettier than a shiny black car, ya get to drive it Matt?
                    It is an addiction!

Comment

I haven't even seen Lenny's car in person yet. But hopefully I will before the year's end.

Comment

I know there has been a few years since this post. Lenny, what did you use for a battery hold down? Seems the Avanti one is too narrow.
                        Thanks

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny R2 View Post
                          The pictures of the engine compartment show the Honda battery installed&Jerry Forresters rechromed valve covers.Most of the chrome has
                          been replated,the hood painted.To detail the engine compartment took 3 months &remove and replace the water manifold.Idrilled out the
                          thermostat bypass hole to 3/4 as sugested by Jon Myer.The picture of the Avanti is from sunday the first show for the car this year.I won
                          a trophy for best car at the show.
                          Your '63 Avanti is a thing of beauty Lenny!.....I'd like to hear more about the bypass hole drilled out to 3/4"......runs cooler now?

Comment

Originally posted by avantibngrant View Post
                            I know there has been a few years since this post. Lenny, what did you use for a battery hold down? Seems the Avanti one is too narrow.
                            Thanks

Neil
                            Would anyone be able to share with me what they used for a battery hold down with the Group 51/51R battery? I came up with something using stuff around my garage/barn and it is just a nasty cobbled up mess. Lenny's looks so simple and functional.
                            Appreciate any help.
                            Neil

Comment

Working...
                            X