Vin# numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin# numbers

Hi, my name is Judah I have a 1963 Studebaker Hawk Gran Turismo. I am trying to find out where the car was built and how many owners had the vehicle before me. How can I get this information.

If the VIN number ends in SB, it was built in South Bend. If it ends in C, it was built in Canada. Finding the PO will be a lot harder. Most DMV offices are not very helpful.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

If the VIN number ends in SB, it was built in South Bend. If it ends in C, it was built in Canada. Finding the PO will be a lot harder. Most DMV offices are not very helpful.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Leonard, where the heck did you get that???

This Hawk could've been built in one of the two factories Stude had at that time. The South Bend Indiana plant or the one in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
        The serial number on the driver's door post IS the VIN#. If it starts out with a "V" it was built in SB. If it starts out with a "VC", it was built in Hamilton. The "VIN" reveals nothing more than that. There's nothing more to the numbers in the VIN than the car's standing in the sequence of V8 cars built in that particular plant in that year. Things were simpler then.

As for tracing it's history - there's no "agency" charged with doing that and so you're only hope is backtracking thru previous owners by word of mouth or lucking onto old documentation in the glove box or under the front seat.
        If your local DMV is willing, they MIGHT give you what they have on file about the car's history, but with so much emphasis on identity theft anymore, these agencies are getting more and MORE reluctant to share stuff that isn't really necessary.[}]

BTW, you can get a copy of YOUR Hawk's production order from the Studebaker museum for a fee. SOMETIMES (but not always) there's notation of where the car was ordered from and consequently shipped to. But if it was just built for stock, they didn't go back to the PO to note it's destination.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Leonard, where the heck did you get that???

This Hawk could've been built in one of the two factories Stude had at that time. The South Bend Indiana plant or the one in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
          The serial number on the driver's door post IS the VIN#. If it starts out with a "V" it was built in SB. If it starts out with a "VC", it was built in Hamilton. The "VIN" reveals nothing more than that. There's nothing more to the numbers in the VIN than the car's standing in the sequence of V8 cars built in that particular plant in that year. Things were simpler then.

As for tracing it's history - there's no "agency" charged with doing that and so you're only hope is backtracking thru previous owners by word of mouth or lucking onto old documentation in the glove box or under the front seat.
          If your local DMV is willing, they MIGHT give you what they have on file about the car's history, but with so much emphasis on identity theft anymore, these agencies are getting more and MORE reluctant to share stuff that isn't really necessary.[}]

BTW, you can get a copy of YOUR Hawk's production order from the Studebaker museum for a fee. SOMETIMES (but not always) there's notation of where the car was ordered from and consequently shipped to. But if it was just built for stock, they didn't go back to the PO to note it's destination.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I really appreciate the information you all shared in helping me locate the vin# and finding out where the car was built. I will also check into getting a copy of the car production order.

Sincerly,

Judah

Comment

I really appreciate the information you all shared in helping me locate the vin# and finding out where the car was built. I will also check into getting a copy of the car production order.

Sincerly,

Judah

Comment

Sorry I screwed up on my reply. I knew better, but just got the info from a Studebaker book, but it was wrong.

Comment

Sorry I screwed up on my reply. I knew better, but just got the info from a Studebaker book, but it was wrong.

Comment

Not to pick on ya' Judah, but the title of this thread (Vin # numbers...or vehicle identification number number numbers), reminds me of my smarty son to a waiter in a restaurant..."Could you tell me what the soup de jour of the day today is?"

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Not to pick on ya' Judah, but the title of this thread (Vin # numbers...or vehicle identification number number numbers), reminds me of my smarty son to a waiter in a restaurant..."Could you tell me what the soup de jour of the day today is?"

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Vin # numbers are very unique.

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            [/quote]

Delightful.

I got the DMV upset when RENEWING! my '64 CDR as the VIN did not match format expected. I explained and suggested thata the computer and/or operators be informed.

There were some 64S GTs built, but not for US sales. Someone who wanted to shake-up the judges at IMs might want to find and show one!

Karl

Comment

Skip Lackie
                              Washington DC
                              [/quote]

Delightful.

I got the DMV upset when RENEWING! my '64 CDR as the VIN did not match format expected. I explained and suggested thata the computer and/or operators be informed.

There were some 64S GTs built, but not for US sales. Someone who wanted to shake-up the judges at IMs might want to find and show one!

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X