PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44 (AvII) Rear Brakes

theGman
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm going to soon redo the rear brakes on my '81 Avanti II and have accumulated a list of probable interchange part #s.

My question is: Is it possible that there is an interchange completely with a vehicle, so I could, for example, just order rear brake parts for a "1981 Camaro" or something like that?
I have actually heard that a Camaro would bolt up, but I'm not sure which, if any would.

Question 2: Can one assume that all the rear brakes beginning with the first RQBs in 1971-2 are interchangable? I believe the axles are the same.

Thanks in advance.

64V-K7
03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
From the notes I've saved over the years, the ( Dana 44)axle is a moot point, but the backing plate out, is a mix of Chrysler and GM. The brake shoes and hardware are equal to a C-10 truck.

See this page....
http://www.studebaker-info.org/Avanti/avtext3/RQBrearbrakes.txt

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

theGman
03-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I appreciate all the info.

My assumption is that, since there are such mixtures in the rear brakes, I could make my own "mix" by finding one contemporary mass produced vehicle from which I could just use their whole system as a unit.

I didn't see any need to duplicate as is anything on there now, if it a mixed bag. I thought it would be easier to just install one matched unit, so, if that worked, than others could just use this as a guide to order parts for a "1980 Shazamm" and know all the parts would be correct for their Avanti.

Thanks!

Skip Lackie
03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't think you can assume interchangeability over very many years on the Avanti II, as Avanti Motors tended to buy items like brake components and switches in lots of a few hundred. When it came time to buy, they frequently went to a different supplier. My 74 Avanti II has Jeep CJ brakes on the rear. I believe Jeep used the Dana 44 at that time. I scrounged around and found that the number for the rear wheel cylinder kit is Bendix 66852. The cups are 15/16".

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Skip Lackie
03-31-2007, 07:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by theGman

I appreciate all the info.

My assumption is that, since there are such mixtures in the rear brakes, I could make my own "mix" by finding one contemporary mass produced vehicle from which I could just use their whole system as a unit.

I didn't see any need to duplicate as is anything on there now, if it a mixed bag. I thought it would be easier to just install one matched unit, so, if that worked, than others could just use this as a guide to order parts for a "1980 Shazamm" and know all the parts would be correct for their Avanti.

Thanks!

I understand, but you have to make sure that whatever Shazamm model you choose is compatible with whatever front brakes your car is equipped with. Avanti Motors didn't have much of an engineering dept, but they had access to Bendix and could make sure that the two axle sets were compatible. I suspect the rear brakes on your car may already be from one particular model, at least from the backing plate outward -- you just need to ID which one.

Even if that turns out to not be the case, just knowing what drums, shoes, cylinders, etc interchange with may be enough. Almost any FLAPS can interchange from a Bendix or Wagner number. The list of part numbers really won't be all that long.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

theGman
03-31-2007, 05:37 PM
You're right; the interchange list isn't that long....I was just trying to simpllify a bit more.
Made sense to me.