PDA

View Full Version : Gas spike?

65cruiser
09-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Gas spiked 30 cents a gallon yesterday in Louisville for no apparent reason (dollar is higher, crude is down, no major travel events coming up, hurricane fears are down).

Did anyone else in other cities see the same thing? We went from $3.59 to $3.89 all over town in a period of about 2 hours.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
www.65cruiser.com

http://www.65cruiser.com/images/studewordy.jpg

glen
09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
No nothing that exciting in the "Northern Zone".....course all of our
gas is imported from CA, via a pipe......if it went that high, with
out any real apparent reason....then there is a "rotten ham" in
Louisville. Only other item of news worthiness is that OPEC is slowing
prduction by 575,000 barrels a day, so not to lose to much money!

glen
Nowhere, AZ
"Freedom Through Vigilance"

Avantidon
09-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Prices in Central PA including the Lancaster hovering around $3.35-3.42 per gallon with no spike yesterday. In fact they decreased by 3 to 5 cents.

glen
09-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Sounds like some distributors are hedging their bets that "Ike" will
hit some platforms in the gulf, so they can justify their initial
price rising.....anybody called their state regulators yet?

glen
Nowhere, AZ

A1956GoldenHawk
09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Gas spiked 30 cents a gallon yesterday in Louisville for no apparent reason (dollar is higher, crude is down, no major travel events coming up, hurricane fears are down).

Did anyone else in other cities see the same thing? We went from $3.59 to $3.89 all over town in a period of about 2 hours.

Mark, looks like your State's Attorney General needs to get on BIG OIL for price gouging ...AGAIN!!!

http://migration.kentucky.gov/Newsroom/aag/marathoncaseadvances.htm

To make a complaint of price gouging, contact the Kentucky Attorney Generalís office by e-mail at gaspricecomplaints@ag.ky.gov.

The older I get ...the better I was!

65cruiser
09-10-2008, 08:06 AM
The AG is already investigating Marathon, however I'm starting to think this is all Kentucky politics and that the AG is in Marathon's pocket. Why else would a company that has had 9 subpoena's in the last few weeks out of the blue raise prices 30 cents a gallon? Just to prove that they can?[}:)]

The local AAA spokesman is flabbergasted at the latest increase. He says there is absolutely no reason for it and suggested members of the public call Thornton Oil and Marathon and just ask them what's going on.

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk

Mark, looks like your State's Attorney General needs to get on BIG OIL for price gouging ...AGAIN!!!

http://migration.kentucky.gov/Newsroom/aag/marathoncaseadvances.htm

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
www.65cruiser.com

DEEPNHOCK
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
(SWAG)
Most midwest and sort of northeast (Atlanta for example) areas are supplued with product via pipeline from the New Orleans/Mobile areas.

When weather (or the Easter bunny) threatens, the price jumps accordingly....and instantly.

Dick Steinkamp
09-10-2008, 09:46 AM

The local AAA spokesman is flabbergasted at the latest increase. He says there is absolutely no reason for it and suggested members of the public call Thornton Oil and Marathon and just ask them what's going on.

Mark,
If you could have sold your car for $500 more than you got for it...would you have?

Oil companies are only doing the same. They can, so they do. The do somewhat restrict the supply by not drilling in the millions of acres of leases they already have and by exporting to other countries about half of what they do pull out of the ground in the US, but essentially they charge whatever the market can tolerate.

We get mad and we "threaten" to do "something", but until there are viable alternatives to gasoline, we are pretty much over a barrel.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

Mark57
09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Mark,
If you could have sold your car for $500 more than you got for it...would you have?

Oil companies are only doing the same. They can, so they do. The do somewhat restrict the supply by not drilling in the millions of acres of leases they already have and by exporting to other countries about half of what they do pull out of the ground in the US, but essentially they charge whatever the market can tolerate.

We get mad and we "threaten" to do "something", but until there are viable alternatives to gasoline, we are pretty much over a barrel.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

I agree with Dick... as I said in a different post sometime back, a VP of Imperial Oil here in Canada stated a couple of years ago after negative comments when the price of gas went from $.80/litre ($3.02/USG) to $1.00/litre ($3.78/USG) but the sales volume remained constant: "We had obviously underpriced our products".

<h5>[b]Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

A1956GoldenHawk
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy](SWAG)
Most midwest and sort of northeast (Atlanta for example) areas are supplued with product via pipeline from the New Orleans/Mobile areas.
&lt;snip&gt;

And ...therein lays one of the biggest hurtles most States, except Hawaii, face. Hawaii nailed Standard Oil several years back to the tune of $2 billion. Hawaii has the capability to monitor every drop of oil/gas off-loaded onto the Islands and can monitor every drop sold (via pump quantity count & taxes received per gallon). Of course, it did not hurt the Stateís case to have one of Standard Oilís Managers turn whistle-blower either.;)

http://smallkidtime.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/6-Origins-of-The-Hawaii-Gas-Cap-law.html

The older I get [b]...the better I was!

65cruiser
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not fussing about the prices so to speak, it's the unexplained spikes. Unless you live in the Louisville area, you don't know what's going on around here. You can drive 25 miles south of Louisville and gas is 30 cents or more cheaper on the gallon. It's only the Louisville area that sees this big increase. The excuse was always "well, Louisville has a different blend of gas, hence the price increase". It was recently discovered the Covington, Kentucky uses the exact same blend from the same company (Marathon), yet their gas is 25-30 cents cheaper on the gallon even though they are farther from the distribution point. During the price spike of a month or so ago, Louisville's gas prices were higher than Atlanta and Chicago. If there's an explanation, then so be it. But, when it jumps for no apparent reason (as it does here ever few weeks), there should be some 'splainin' to do[:o)]

I find it interesting that they've seem to reach a price-point that has affected people's driving habits. I know I'm using much less, in fact I'm now working at home 2-3 days a week. That keeps me off the road for an effective 2-weeks a month that I would have been traveling 40 miles round trip a day. That helps a bunch. This year, we didn't take that big RV trip that we usually take, we only went about 400 miles away from home--saved more gas. Usage has fallen off I think (although we are a long way from being energy independant). Hopefully, that will impact or level prices at the pump. Except in Louisville[}:)]

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
www.65cruiser.com

Dick Steinkamp
09-10-2008, 11:01 AM
But, when it jumps for no apparent reason (as it does here ever few weeks), there should be some 'splainin' to do[:o)]

Why? Oil companies "loyalties" are to their stock holders...not to their customers (like all public corporations). Their job is to make money, not to make US happy by making gasoline more affordable. They have no need or requirement to explain their pricing structure to anyone. It's a free market. BTW, they are doing a pretty good job of making money. I don't think you'll see a change in their "formula"...even when they are given another couple of million acres of leases to NOT drill on [^]. If they do some additional drilling, you can bet it will go to the highest global bidder and will probably not increase the supply here.

Don't get mad at the oil companies...if anything, buy stock in them. If you want to spend less money on energy, insist on and/or support alternatives to oil. Anything else is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

studecruiser
09-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Gas also spiked .30 a gallon here (Cadillac,Mi) yesterday.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/studecruiser/StudebakerShine001_001.jpg

shewolf
09-12-2008, 08:26 AM
I've been watching gas prices locally for quite a while now. Two weeks ago our local Wal-Mart was selling it for $3.229 for 87 octane and the store closest to my house dropped down to $3.329. Of course Walmarts price went up .07 in a few days. The Spinx near me maintained a fairly close price until yesterday. Literally we came home for lunch and it was $3.43. An hour later it was $3.59! This morning Steve called me to say it is now $3.79!!!!! What in the heck is going on?? And does any one have any idea who I can report this to in S.C.?? If this keeps up our Lancaster trip may be severly compromised:(

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
'63 Lark

shewolf
09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
I think I found the link I am looking for[:I] Tracy

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
'63 Lark

glen
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I believe DEEPNHOCK called it on this on.....

quote:Most midwest and sort of northeast (Atlanta for example) areas are supplued with product via pipeline from the New Orleans/Mobile areas.

When weather (or the Easter bunny) threatens, the price jumps accordingly....and instantly.

IKE ain't no "Easter Bunny!" But with all the refineries in and
around Galveston and Houston and rig platforms in the Gulf, put
into "monthballs" to ride out the storm, there will be a supply
problem for awhile and this price spike is a natural course of
events. Just have to face the facts until everything is said and
done. The bigger task will be to get the refineries back on line
and making up for lost time in getting the supply back to what it
was and balanced out.

glen
Nowhere, AZ

Guido
09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I just went out and filled up my rollback with diesel ($130 @ 3.889 per gallon), put $100 of diesel in my F-350 pickup (@ $3.989) and topped off my car ($40 @ 3.499 a gallon). The station near where I store my rollback is up to $4.099 per gallon for regular.

[EDIT] I was coming back from the station with my pickup (which I was contemplating taking to Lancaster) and heard some noises from the right rear. I took a look under the truck and noticed that there was a 1/2" gap between the brake drum and the backing plate. [xx(] Not sure I have enough time to look into it.

My issue is that the stations have fuel in the ground that they priced according to what their supplier charged. [u]WITHOUT</u> taking delivery of any new fuel (or incurring ANY additional costs) they are raising their prices $.30 - $.40 a gallon. Can anyone explain the economics behind that? [?] (I fully understand the concept of greed).

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Dick Steinkamp
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Guido

My issue is that the stations have fuel in the ground that they priced according to what their supplier charged. [u]WITHOUT</u> taking delivery of any new fuel (or incurring ANY additional costs) they are raising their prices $.30 - $.40 a gallon. Can anyone explain the economics behind that? [?] (I fully understand the concept of greed).

Should they then do the same (hold the price) when they have fuel in their tanks that they bought at a higher price than what the wholesale market requires?

They probably can't do this since they would never sell the old, high priced fuel if neighboring stations got "refilled" at a lower price.

If they can't do it (hold price) when fuel price is falling, stands to reason they can't do it when fuel price is rising.

I'll bet, however, that they are super quick to raise the price when wholesale prices are rising, and somewhat more slow to lower price when wholesale prices are falling ;).

I know the threat of a hurricane is most likely the reason given that gas prices are going up, but I have a hard time buying it as the ACTUAL reason. Supply hasn't decreased any (yet). It also means there are no tanks full of gasoline ANYWHERE that we could draw on for a few days if a small part of the supply is disrupted.

The world wide price of oil has actually been FALLING for the last several days. Seems like this fall in oil prices would more than offset the POSSIBILITY of disruption of a tiny part of the supply at the pump.

The US uses about 20,700,000 barrels of oil per day. The Gulf produces 2,800,000 barrels a day...and about half of that is exported from the US to other countries. If it all ACTUALLY went away completely, I doubt if you'd (logically) see the price increase we are seeing now.

If an ACTUAL hurricane prevented pumping/refining/distributing Gulf oil for a few WEEKS, THEN I could see a few cents at the pump...certainly not 30-40 cents when absolutely nothing has actually happened.

IMHO, the oil companies are raising the price because they can. It doesn't hurt to have some sort of reason thrown out there, but it is really not necessary.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

A1956GoldenHawk
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM

&lt;snip&gt; IMHO, the oil companies are raising the price because they can. It doesn't hurt to have some sort of reason thrown out there, but it is really not necessary.

And IMHO, wait a week or so and see if gas prices aren't what they were a week ago ...maybe even a lot lower because there are only 52 days left until Election Day for the GOP (and their partners, BIG OIL) to show voters how THEY can lower gas prices for us.

http://news.aaa-calif.com/pr/aaa/Gas-Prices-Drop-Three-Months.aspx?ncid=6060

JRoberts
09-12-2008, 01:45 PM
At 9:15 this morning gas at my nearest, and usually cheapest, station was 3.529 per gallon for regular at 1:00 this afternoon it was 3.999! Now I know the explanations, hurricane, supply and demand, response to share holders. I understand these, but .47 increase in less than four hours? That is hard to understand.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

4961Studebaker
09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Guido

Yes...their charging a bit more in order to buy the next load.
You do realize that most stations go through a underground tank full of fuel at least once a day don't you. We have some stores that get 3 a day, thats 15,000 gallons at just one station. So its completely conceiveable that the price flucuates DAILY. Along with all the other factors that cause it to flucuate daily. [:0]
Most stations don't buy at a set price, and even if they did, they'd still charge you at the market rate.

ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

Guido
09-12-2008, 02:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by JRoberts
I understand these, but .47 increase in less than four hours? That is hard to understand. Especially since they are still pumping the same gas that they were making a profit on at $3.529.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

skyway
09-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I think what we are seeing is the very interesting interplay of 2 classic petroleum industry standards.

One one hand the upcoming elections require the falling prices we've seen lately. On the other hand Ike presents the "golden" opportunity to reinstate the gouge factor by troting out the ole "hurricane shut down".

I know that Ike is the real thing and pardon the pun, but nothing trumps a "perfect storm". Lets see what profits big oil posts for the third quarter.

monomaniac
09-12-2008, 05:48 PM
The same thing is happening here in Canada. This afternoon's price (Sept 12) was 55 cents U.S. higher per U.S. gallon than this morning.

Dick Steinkamp
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

The same thing is happening here in Canada. This afternoon's price (Sept 12) was 55 cents U.S. higher per U.S. gallon than this morning.

...and where you live, Art, I doubt if you get ANY gasoline from the gulf area. The hurricane should have ZERO impact on your gas price.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

blackhawk61
09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
My opinion is ......It does not matter......It is all about greed anyway ......GET ALL YOU CAN ! :(

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/chevpartsman/61HawkChevypartsmanreduce.jpg
Ken Byrd
Lewisville,NC

mbstude
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Gas has shot up about 30 cents here too. $3.94 today, was $3.64 yesterday when I filled up the Lark. A few people have told me today that by tomorrow AM it will be up around $5.00 a gallon. Every station in town that I passed today was literally PACKED with lines of cars. Rediculous, ain't it?

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA

Flashback
09-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Here in the heart of dixie (central Alabama) gas has gone up
a half a buck today and there are lines at the pumps. It is about 399.9 average now. The price is based on "rack" price I understand
and whatever the distributor is priced, the stations change to
up or down. It's not actually based on what they paid for what's in the ground. I am going to buy a 54 champion tomorrow to save gas
Tee-hee-hee. Think my wife will buy this story?

Tex E. Grier
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Studebaker255.jpg

Lenny R2
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I filled up my Toyota Tundra in Va $75.00 i am only getting 16.5 mpg
but i have been driving between 70 & 75 miles an hour.I will still
make Lancaster cheaper than 2 plane tickets & rental car.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

Guido
09-12-2008, 08:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lenny R2

I filled up my Toyota Tundra in Va $75.00 Lenny,

Stop in Martinsburg, WV and get gas at the Sheetz there (I think it is the Rt. 9 exit, but it will be marked on I-81). Once you get to PA it will be much higher.

See you Sunday.

Gary

Guido
09-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I was out a number of times today getting parts to rebuild the deck on my trailer (as well as get gas and diesel). On my last trip out (around 5:30, gas was still to be found for $3.499). However, I saw it as high as $4.099 this morning.

BobGlasscock
09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Most retail merchants that sell a product use the actual inventory cost to price the product when it is sold. When the price of inventory purchases change or the cost of inventory put on the retail shelf is different, then the price changes. Up or down.

With gasoline, distributors and hence station operators, use an inventory cost averaging system. They average the cost of what is in the station tank with the price of what is in the delivery truck. Once again, that average will move either up or down. This is common in the gasoline business due to the ancient custom that ole Bob, the gas station owner, had to pay the driver in cash when the gas was delivered. In order to always have that much cash, ole Bob had to charge as high a price as could be invented ethically. Thus, price averaging.

I know I will never, ever convince you conspiracy lovers out there, but most gas station operators only make about one cent per gallon profit. That's one reason there are no longer service stations, only convenience stores selling gas. Yes, it is the gas refiners and crude producers who are making the money. Not the lease owners and station owners, just the ones in between. And those are simply using the supply and demand, free market system to make money and stay in business. Once again, if you don't like it, change your own habits to make them change theirs. Boone Pickens, anyone?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

BobGlasscock
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Good Grief Charlie Brown!! What in the world is wrong with free enterprise capitalism??? Sometimes I read posts here criticizing someone for making money and I just yell in my house at the top of my lungs out of frustration. I am yelling right now. What is wrong with someone making money? HUH? Don't you people who whine about this realize that if it weren't for those who make money, YOU YOURSELF AND YOURS would not be here? You'd be crawling around some cave looking for dead animals and plants to eat. There would be no ecomony without them. You'd have no job without them. Did you never take any history or economic courses in grades 1 through college???? Geesh, I wish I could make the world a better place and get filthy fricking rich at the same time. I'm just working on the rich part now. And darn proud of it!!!!!! I shall continue to try my best to make money and pay people to work for me so they can support their families and buy all sorts of stupid stuff with American money so that all sorts of millions of people will have money and support their families, and WELL, can't you see it goes on forever? Really, just look at that attitude. I don't want anyone to make money. How ignorant. I'd better stop before I get carried away. oops, too late.....

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

ksburrows
09-12-2008, 10:01 PM
We're hovering around the $4 mark, and have been for a while up here in the PNW/Seattle area. I just can't get my Hawk to run well on anything but premium. Does anyone know a good way to use cheaper gas and get decent performance?

Kelly
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/ksburrows_2008/n1267233190_30089196_8130.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
09-12-2008, 10:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by ksburrows

We're hovering around the $4 mark, and have been for a while up here in the PNW/Seattle area. I just can't get my Hawk to run well on anything but premium. Does anyone know a good way to use cheaper gas and get decent performance?

Generally, the lower the octane, the less initial (and total) advance the engine will take and still not detonate (knock/ping). Decreasing the initial advance to run lower octane fuel will usually result in less performance.

You can TRY running a tank of lower octane, then timing the engine by "ear". Run as much advance as you can without having it ping under load.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

jnewkirk77
09-13-2008, 01:34 AM
I've got all of ya beat on high gas prices. Heck, Owensboro even made the news, with a $1.03 increase at the Kroger station, and almost a buck at the Fast Fuel (formerly Ashland) stations. The governor and AG have them in their sights.

I'm not against folks making money, but when you hike the price of gas by a buck a gallon, that's gouging and it's ILLEGAL! I hope the state nails 'em to the wall.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

glen
09-13-2008, 07:02 AM
For those who are paying real attention to T. Boone Pickens and
his commericals, here is "Junk Science" about his natural gas ads:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,420941,00.html

While I won't deny him a chance to make a penny.....it's the way
that he is doing it!

glen
Nowhere, AZ

A1956GoldenHawk
09-13-2008, 07:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77

&lt;snip&gt; I'm not against folks making money, but when you hike the price of gas by a buck a gallon, that's gouging and it's ILLEGAL! I hope the state nails 'em to the wall.

Jacob, Iím not against folks making a profit either ...BUT ...what real difference is there between folks[}:)] who choose to rob BANKS and those folks[}:)] who choose to rob the AMERICAN PEOPLE?!?! Both those kind of "folks" deserve some serious jail time!!![:0]:(

Dick Steinkamp
09-13-2008, 10:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77

I'm not against folks making money, but when you hike the price of gas by a buck a gallon, that's gouging and it's ILLEGAL! I hope the state nails 'em to the wall.

It may be gouging (so is a $10 hot dog at a baseball game), but you're going to have to show me where it is illegal to charge what ever you want for the product you are selling.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
09-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Understandable, Dave. There are probably other special laws for special circumstances. But do they have the same law in Kentucky? And was a state of emergency declared in Owensboro?

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

bob40
09-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Here are a few facts about Minnesota gas stations.

http://www.startribune.com/business/17693464.html

This is a Minnesota law.
Minnesota's Commerce Department has fined a number of gas stations, often attached to Wal-Marts, for selling gas too cheaply.

The state adopted a law in 2001 that bars gas stations from selling gas without taking a minimum profit. These days, stations must charge at least eight cents per gallon more than they paid. The Commerce Department is now issuing its first fines for breaking the law.

Whats it mean? Dont know.There are worse things and I tend to worry about stuff I can actually control rather than ranting at the world.
Example
Vikings home football game tomorrow and if I wanted to go a price breakdown
of stuff involved.
$25.00 to park close to stadium.Sign in lot says $2.50 per day.
$7.50 for a beer.Bet those darn beer distributers are getting rich
because we KNOW the vendors arent making the price that high.
Hot dog.$5.50 Once again it must be a conspiracy by the hot dog makers.
Pizza.$6.00 a slice.darn pizza companies.
It goes on and on.
Moral of the above?
I'll stay home,drink a beer that cost me less than a buck,eat a hot dog and a
whole pizza that total will be less than $6.00
I'll save gas by not driving and I doubt I'll whine about anything.
Work hard...work smart...figure out a way to be fair and still make money

A1956GoldenHawk
09-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Dang it Bob40!!! I was just about to post this link when I noticed you beat me to it!:D

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/minnesota_gas_stations_fined_for_low_gas_prices/

65cruiser
09-13-2008, 04:49 PM
What happened in Kentucky stemmed from Katrina. Kentucky does not have anti-gouge law, but it has no teeth. Back then, the stations NOT the wholesalers raised prices. I remember Thorntons jumping from (whatever the price was back then) $2.40 a gallon or so to $3.65. There was pandemonium in the streets. As fast as the gas came up, in a day or two it was back down again.

This time however (with Ike), it appears to be the wholesalers that are raising the prices. Many stations owners here have come forward and said they are paying $4.05 per gallon and selling it for $4.15. Certainly fair I think (especially by the time you factor in credit card fees). So, it's the wholesalers that jumped the price because of an anticipated FUTURE shortage. There have been stations in Louisville run OUT of gas the last few days, but not because of a shortage of fuel. It's because people panic and run out and fill up every vehicle in their stable.

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Understandable, Dave. There are probably other special laws for special circumstances. But do they have the same law in Kentucky? And was a state of emergency declared in Owensboro?

Can't say fer sure about KY or Owensboro, but it's certainly possible.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
www.65cruiser.com

bams50
09-13-2008, 06:15 PM
All 3 here in town have not gone up yet, in fact they've all gone DOWN a penny, to $3.68

So far, so good...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

289cruiser
09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Just LINED up at local Sams (Morrow Ga) & regular was 3.75

Costco was DRY, CLOSED, TANKS EMPTY. tEXACO ACROSS STREET WAS PRICED @ 4.19 FRIDAY I FILLED MY WIFE'S CAR @ cOSTCO for 3.50 per gallon!

Louis Moore
289 Cruiser

bob40
09-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Typical panic.
Lets see...gas goes way up so people flock to buy what
they can further depleting supply giving the oil companies
the reason to raise prices higher.
Simple math tells me that if I figure what I actually need
for fuel for the next week I can buy what I need.
Right now I have a half a tank and that will get me to work
and home next week.Next Saturday I'll pay whatever the price
is for what I need.I dont need a full tank.

bams50
09-14-2008, 06:46 AM
I HATE pumping gas- so when I stop, I always fill up, since I'm already there- lessening my number of stops.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

DEEPNHOCK
09-27-2008, 05:34 AM
And the gas shortage in the southeast is still going on in late September.....

People are starting to panic!
Imagine!
People actually speaking out loud about cancelling the Auburn football game because fans will use up all the gas people need to drive to work with![:0] (read the article...it's in there;))
Jeff[8D]

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/26/gas.shortage.roundup/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937CEBearfootingArtwithLabelgif-1.jpg http://www.racingstudebakers.com/avatar_01.jpg http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock