PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal "pumps-up"???

50starlite
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
The brake pedal on my '50 Starlight Champion will "pump up" about a half inch if I choose to do this when I apply the brakes. I've bled the brakes, the auto adj's are working as they should, and I checked the adjustment using the ecc. cams. (Outside adjustment.) I have plenty of brake pedal and the car stops straight and true. All the shoes are in good condition with about 2500 miles on them. It's just a little worrisome.

Dick
Mountain Home, AR
http://livingintheozarks.com/studebaker.htm

41 Frank
03-29-2007, 09:24 AM
I don't think you have a problem, I can pump the brakes up on my brand new truck.As long as you have good pedal and it does not sink when you apply constant pressure.

jpvill4th
03-31-2007, 02:40 AM
Make sure too that you have the free pedal set correctly. I think it is 3/8 inch at the pedal.

whacker
03-31-2007, 09:15 AM
You still have air in your brake system. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder and the hill holder? If you are using silicone brake fluid, it absorbes air and is very difficult to bleed. A pedal that needs to be pumped up is the main symptom of air in the line.

Dick Steinkamp
03-31-2007, 09:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by whacker
If you are using silicone brake fluid, it absorbes air and is very difficult to bleed.

Huh?

I have used both DOT 5 (silicone) and DOT 3 (glycol) in my Studes. I really can't tell any difference in the ability to bleed, pedal feel, etc.

I won't start the DOT 5 vs DOT 3 wars here, and silicone fluid has it's downsides, but absorbing air isn't one of them.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

dictator27
03-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Dick
If the pedal is hard, you don't have a problem. If it feels like you are stepping on a wet sponge, then there is air in the system. Properly adjusted manual brakes will "pump up" a bit because the fluid from the first pump has not had enough time to completely return to the reservoir so as long as you are satisfied that they are properly adjusted you're good to go. No problems after 2500 miles sounds good to me.:)

Terry