PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE LIGHTS

lhsalla
08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
BRAKE LIGHTS NOT WORKING REPLACED SWITCH A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO MECHANIC STATED HE NEEDED TO PULL THE STEERING WHEEL TO REPLACE ANOTHER SWITCH IF HE COULD FIND IT COST WOULD BE AROUND $100 DOES THIS SOUND ABOUT RIGHT? THIS IS A 1964 STUDEBAKER CHALLENGER 4 DOOR 6 CYLINDER

Dick Steinkamp
08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
The brake lights circuit runs through the turn signal circuit at the top of the steering column. This is so the rear turn signal will still blink when the brake is depressed. It could be the turn signal switch that is bad. I'd be doing some meter checking in and out of the switch before I pulled the wheel, however, to insure that is the problem. Could also be grounds or another bad brake light switch. If it is the turn signal switch, and he can do it for $100 including parts, go for it.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

rockne10
08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
First, if you disconnect both wires from the brakeline pressure switch and touch them together and the lights work, you have a bad pressure switch or gunk in the brakeline preventing its operation.

If they still don't work, the turn signal switch may not be centering itself after use. If you wiggle the signal switch and get brake lights, you probably need part #800478.

If wiggling doesn't help, the turn signal switch is bad or you've lost continuity in the wiring somewhere. As Dick says, may require meter testing. And where's he going to find an original signal switch for $100?

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rkspence
06-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a 62 hawk the left brake light would never work the turn signal worked fine the problem was in the colum, there is brass contacts that make contact when the turn signal is moved, they slide back and forth I bent them slightly and then everything worked fine.