This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Studebaker prices

Since shipping is so expensive Iv been chasing a couple of local Studes,one is the 50 Champ Starlight coupe I mentiond awhile back. I went to look it over again the other day. It looked far worse on closer inspection. Seems to be "whisky bumps" in every panel. Someone did some real rough body work to it at some point. The owner still thinks hes gonna get 5k for it. Not from me.
    The other is a 63 Lark ragtop that has been heavily modified (screwed up). It could be changed back to Studebaker power and is highly restorable but no wheres near what the guys asking.
    OTOH, I stopped to look at a gorgeous 47 Buick fastback with a "for sale" sign on it. It really is a nice car,when I looked at it from the rear and out through the back window from inside I started getting woody. I asked the guy what he was dreaming of. "29,000"
    Is everybody around here nuts,or is like that everywhere?

I t seems like since the hobby has grown so have the prices. A lot of people think any old car they have setting around is worth Barret-Jackson prices. On the flip side the growing popularity has made repro parts more avalible. Probably less cars being parted out and being restored instead.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I t seems like since the hobby has grown so have the prices. A lot of people think any old car they have setting around is worth Barret-Jackson prices. On the flip side the growing popularity has made repro parts more avalible. Probably less cars being parted out and being restored instead.

Comment

Just look at the prices of Avantis since JP sold the 2 estate cars for nearly 30K. Now there ALL coming out of the garages and onto ebay. [] And Barrett-Jackson hasn't helped the buyers market of classic Cars either... [xx(]

Comment

Just look at the prices of Avantis since JP sold the 2 estate cars for nearly 30K. Now there ALL coming out of the garages and onto ebay. [] And Barrett-Jackson hasn't helped the buyers market of classic Cars either... [xx(]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
            And Barrett-Jackson hasn't helped the buyers market of classic Cars either... [xx(]
            Maybe not the buyers..but sellers.

Seriously, the exposure given the old/custom/collector car hobby through B-J, and the cable TV shows ranging from Overhaulin' to My Classic Car, Car Crazy and even...yes, Pimp My Ride is priceless.

A lot of people are getting into the hobby and more cars are being savered and restored. Maybe not restored to your liking, but noinetheless saved. And as Marth Stewart might say...That's a good thing. More people, more cars = more aftermarket parts.

The other day I drove the Avanti up to a popular orchard/resturant/tourist trap and parked it out front. Within minutes a guy found me and started asking about the car. He said his brother was an old Studebaker fan and was nuts about Avantis.
            "But now I expect they're too expensive", he sighed.
            No, I replied, they're still affordable...with most well under 30K.
            He was really excited and said he'd call his brother to tell him the news.

Part of our mission should be to help spread the old car gospel, and letting them know, that the prices they see on B-J..and the Pebble Beach and Meadowbrook auctions...are the upper end of the hobby.
            You still don't have to be rich to have fun with old cars. Of course it helps...ask Jay Leno.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
              And Barrett-Jackson hasn't helped the buyers market of classic Cars either... [xx(]
              Maybe not the buyers..but sellers.

Seriously, the exposure given the old/custom/collector car hobby through B-J, and the cable TV shows ranging from Overhaulin' to My Classic Car, Car Crazy and even...yes, Pimp My Ride is priceless.

A lot of people are getting into the hobby and more cars are being savered and restored. Maybe not restored to your liking, but noinetheless saved. And as Marth Stewart might say...That's a good thing. More people, more cars = more aftermarket parts.

The other day I drove the Avanti up to a popular orchard/resturant/tourist trap and parked it out front. Within minutes a guy found me and started asking about the car. He said his brother was an old Studebaker fan and was nuts about Avantis.
              "But now I expect they're too expensive", he sighed.
              No, I replied, they're still affordable...with most well under 30K.
              He was really excited and said he'd call his brother to tell him the news.

Part of our mission should be to help spread the old car gospel, and letting them know, that the prices they see on B-J..and the Pebble Beach and Meadowbrook auctions...are the upper end of the hobby.
              You still don't have to be rich to have fun with old cars. Of course it helps...ask Jay Leno.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Those of us who like the cars for what they are, instead of what they will bring as an investment, are still able to find less flashy Studes that are lots of fun. The two door and four door sedans, and the flathead sixes in all body styles are still very affordable. They are just as much fun as the coupes, convertables and Hawks. Plus, we get to dream that we will get one that will be a sleeper and skyrocket out of sight right after we buy it! Even if it doesn't, we still have a fun car, instead of thos people chasing a dream at outragous prices that have nothing.

Comment

Those of us who like the cars for what they are, instead of what they will bring as an investment, are still able to find less flashy Studes that are lots of fun. The two door and four door sedans, and the flathead sixes in all body styles are still very affordable. They are just as much fun as the coupes, convertables and Hawks. Plus, we get to dream that we will get one that will be a sleeper and skyrocket out of sight right after we buy it! Even if it doesn't, we still have a fun car, instead of thos people chasing a dream at outragous prices that have nothing.

Comment

Well put whacker. There is still room in the car hobby for all of us.[8D]

Comment

Well put whacker. There is still room in the car hobby for all of us.[8D]

Comment

Because of what is going on concerning old car prices, the byword is "Caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware).
                        Being in this hobby, and Studebakers in particular, we usually have a pretty good idea of what our favorite cars should go for based on their condition.
                        When these folks with less-than-good cars for sale don't find buyers, then they'll realize that their price is inflated.
                        My 2 cents.
                        I'm just glad I bought my Stude when I did. And it was from another Stude lover.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Because of what is going on concerning old car prices, the byword is "Caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware).
                          Being in this hobby, and Studebakers in particular, we usually have a pretty good idea of what our favorite cars should go for based on their condition.
                          When these folks with less-than-good cars for sale don't find buyers, then they'll realize that their price is inflated.
                          My 2 cents.
                          I'm just glad I bought my Stude when I did. And it was from another Stude lover.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

There are bargains on "flashy" cars too. I now own 13 Studebakers and there are a few more I wish I could afford to buy. I need to wait a few weeks to get some cash flow going after wiping out my checking account on California cars. Most folks won't risk a sight unseen buy, or don't want to ship a car and that leaves the market open for those that are willing.
                            If you want a nice car at a bargain price, grab and ship it. Don't wait for someone else to buy it and sell it to a newbie on ebay.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                            65 Sports Sedan
                            64 Daytona HT
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                            63 GT Hawk
                            63 Avanti R1/AC
                            63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                            63 Daytona HT
                            63 Lark 2 dr.
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            62 GT(parts car)
                            60 Lark convert
                            60 Hawk
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

There are bargains on "flashy" cars too. I now own 13 Studebakers and there are a few more I wish I could afford to buy. I need to wait a few weeks to get some cash flow going after wiping out my checking account on California cars. Most folks won't risk a sight unseen buy, or don't want to ship a car and that leaves the market open for those that are willing.
                              If you want a nice car at a bargain price, grab and ship it. Don't wait for someone else to buy it and sell it to a newbie on ebay.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                              65 Sports Sedan
                              64 Daytona HT
                              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                              63 GT Hawk
                              63 Avanti R1/AC
                              63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                              63 Daytona HT
                              63 Lark 2 dr.
                              62 Lark 2 door