PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about transmissions

azrael4h
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I was just wondering if the 3 speed OD used by Studebaker was the same across the line, or if they used two different ones for 6's and 8's. I'm kinda looking ahead, and since I have a couple 3spd/ODs floating around now, I'm looking to find a use for one. A perfectly evil use, depending on finances and someone I know, but a use nonetheless. Thanks.

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

64V-K7
03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
T-85/OD 1956J/57HK7/58HK7 - (maybe Avanti too, since base trans was 3 spd, floorshift. Don't know about the OD tho, since the floorshift got in the way)
T-86/OD all other V8's
T-96/OD all six's

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

azrael4h
03-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly the T-96 is what I have (assuming they're not 'tweaked' to have a heavier tranny attached), The Hawks pretty much got the T-85 (and maybe Avanti's did as well), and the T-86 was for anything else.

Why would the floor shift option affect the OD? I was looking into a floor shift anyways, and I noticed that there's no position for an OD in the aftermarket setup, but it was my understanding that the OD is electrically controlled, somewhat like the old A500/A518 Mopar transmissions, in that it's a push button or toggle switch to activate.

StudeRich
03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
You ALMOST understand it! Actually all V-8 use the T-86 (these have 6 bolt top cover) except Golden Hawks & '56-'57 President Classic "Y" body sedan which uses the HD T-85 which with LOW gears was called T-89 in the trucks. These all have a SIDE cover!

No Avantis had the T85, the couple built with 3 speed, all had T86 no Overdrive (go figure!)

All the 4 bolt top cover are light weight 6 cyl. T-90, T-96.

The floor shifts are a hard fit because the Electric solenoid is on the left side near where you need to mount the shifter!

NOW, it should be clear, simple and correct! [^]

quote:Originally posted by azrael4h

Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly the T-96 is what I have (assuming they're not 'tweaked' to have a heavier tranny attached), The Hawks pretty much got the T-85 (and maybe Avanti's did as well), and the T-86 was for anything else.
Why would the floor shift option affect the OD? I was looking into a floor shift anyways, and I noticed that there's no position for an OD in the aftermarket setup, but it was my understanding that the OD is electrically controlled, somewhat like the old A500/A518 Mopar transmissions, in that it's a push button or toggle switch to activate.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

azrael4h
03-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Ah, muchas gracias! Mesa understand now!

I may not bother with a floor shift then, at least until I grow to be unlazy and having a shop capable of fabricating more than basic parts. :p Thanks again. I guess I'll not see about that V8 either. It'd probably be a good buy for later, but I'll just hop up the old six when I get down to really going through the car.