Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post #1 -- Please allow me to introduce myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post #1 -- Please allow me to introduce myself?

Welcome Rodney to you and the misses. Some frown on rodders but there's a few of us here to keep the others honest . I hope those are just the begining of the pictures because that looks like a great project. How was the cab (corners and floors)?

What do you plan on using for a transmission? Auto or manual?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Welcome Rodney to you and the misses. Some frown on rodders but there's a few of us here to keep the others honest . I hope those are just the begining of the pictures because that looks like a great project. How was the cab (corners and floors)?

What do you plan on using for a transmission? Auto or manual?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Post #1 -- Please allow me to introduce myself?

Would this be an appropriate place for an attempted introduction? My name is Rotten, and it's been a while or two -- my SDC membership may have lapsed back in the mid-seventies, but I'll get that restarted ASAP. We just ain't had much time to devote to our own projects, but that's just about to change...

Back in seventy-six, this forty-seven M-5 was my high-school Auto-Shop project. It was a pretty cherry little truck, with one external con-rod. I'd already overhauled one Champion engine for my other high-school ride, but this time I couldn't find a decent rebuildable core for free enough, so I shoe-horned (or should I say cobbled) in a good used 327/Powerglide combo with a fifty-five Olds/Poncho rear-end, etc. It was my first motor-swap, and my first attempt at what I considered to be a 'real' hot rod. (Do you guys tolerate hot rodders here?) A school-chum and I actually did drive the truck up and down the road one time, and it was frightening. With worn king-pins and square bias-rags, we went into a high-speed wobble at a fairly low rate of speed, and it never quit shaking 'till I'd managed to find the whoa-pedal and bring the whole clamoring mass to a complete stop.

Long story abrieviated: Priorities changed, kids, etc. Okay, I just lost interest, so the truck was relegated to the family junkyard. Recently however, it was rescued...

Above: Here you may just barely be able to make out: North High Auto, shot from a rattle-can through a stencil that our teacher used for marking school property. It will be preserved, as well as the eucalyptus-stump that grew through the center-grille's teeth years ago.

Now meet my much better half: Mrs. Rotten...

Mrs. Rotten is a crafty welder/fabricator by trade. She ain't afraid to get dirty, and I'm real proud of her. I've been ignoring this poor ol' truck for over thirty years. It's her truck now, and it's gittin' done.

Look out! There she goes!

And there go the cheezy motor-mounts I cobbled up in high-school as well.

From my comfortable chair, Eye can watch the sparks fly -- all day long...

Above: This could be the test. That's the same 327 I stuck in there when I was a kid. It's still a good one, and I feel rather fortunate to be able to get it back. Hey, wait -- what's that? Do I hear the sound of grinding teeth? We can't help ourselves. We're all hot rod.

The Powerglide will make way for a 'built' TH-350, but the Olds/Poncho rear-end will be retained. It's the proper width, with the proper five-on-five bolt-pattern, and she's got some legs.

Above: I'm a old guy, so here's an old trick... When spun around backward, these (hen's teeth) 265 exhaust manifolds allow the needed steering clearance. The ports are smaller than we'd like, but Mrs. Rotten can hog them out.

The stock steering-gearbox will be retained, but it's on probation.

The truck is now stripped down to her frame and suspenders, and we're goin' all the way.

We'll be pickin' at some brains here as we go. We're gunna need to find a few missin' pieces, but most of all, we're really lookin' forward to gittin' to know yawl. Oh, does this board have a 'spell-czech' feature? Eye didn't see the magic button for that...

This'll have to conclude Part 1. I gotta go rattle some p

Comment

Welcome to the forum! And you were able to post pictures on your first try...that is a feat all in itself!

You will find many hot rodders anf truck lovers here. Very interesting pictures. Hope to see more as it progresses.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Welcome to the forum! And you were able to post pictures on your first try...that is a feat all in itself!

You will find many hot rodders anf truck lovers here. Very interesting pictures. Hope to see more as it progresses.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Great post, Rotten [8D].

Hang around. We can help you and Ms Rotten get it back on the road. M's make neat hot rods for sure. I have a 305 in my '46.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Great post, Rotten [8D].

Hang around. We can help you and Ms Rotten get it back on the road. M's make neat hot rods for sure. I have a 305 in my '46.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good thing "Mrs. Rotten" is taken or I think Jeff Rice might be looking for a shopmate!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Good thing "Mrs. Rotten" is taken or I think Jeff Rice might be looking for a shopmate!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Howdy Rottens, and Welcome! Ya my teeth were grindin' Getting that Stude back on the road and in the publics eye, and what you like is what counts, but just wanted to show ya how sweet a 289 Stude could look for your ride though! By the way, Lucky Man![}]

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
                    I own time machines.....

Comment

Howdy Rottens, and Welcome! Ya my teeth were grindin' Getting that Stude back on the road and in the publics eye, and what you like is what counts, but just wanted to show ya how sweet a 289 Stude could look for your ride though! By the way, Lucky Man![}]

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
                      I own time machines.....

Comment

Hey, Welcome HotRodney

If you type SBC or Chevy into the search feature, you'll find you are certainly not alone here. And some of our all-Stude all-the-time friends have lit a fire in their engines also. There are Cathcart 6 specials, Stude V8s (R1, R2, R3, and more), and Stude drag, dry lake, and round track racers here, too.

Keep us posted on you and your wife's progress.[8D]

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                        53 Starliner Hardtop
                        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Hey, Welcome HotRodney

If you type SBC or Chevy into the search feature, you'll find you are certainly not alone here. And some of our all-Stude all-the-time friends have lit a fire in their engines also. There are Cathcart 6 specials, Stude V8s (R1, R2, R3, and more), and Stude drag, dry lake, and round track racers here, too.

Keep us posted on you and your wife's progress.[8D]

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                          53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Welcome, Rotten. As Tim says, there's ways to add V8 motivation and still have it be ALL Stude[] Your - er Mrs' truck tho. If bow-tie stuff is as avant garde as she wants, there ya go![:X] People actually expect that you've tossed the original stuff, so you're right in the mainstream.

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome, Rotten. As Tim says, there's ways to add V8 motivation and still have it be ALL Stude[] Your - er Mrs' truck tho. If bow-tie stuff is as avant garde as she wants, there ya go![:X] People actually expect that you've tossed the original stuff, so you're right in the mainstream.

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X