PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Studebaker parts

studelover
03-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I was wondering has anyone notied the rise in Studebaker plastic parts, the lenses and moulded parts. I have started to stock pile alot of the parts I will need when my car is complete and the prices are unbelivible. This might be because of the rise in oil or am I wrong. I need some lenses however they are 45.00 dollors or 90.00 dollars a pair! WOW

Studebakers forever!

Dick Steinkamp
03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by studelover
This might be because of the rise in oil

I doubt it. The cost of the actual plastic is a tiny part of the cost of the lens itself. The tool is the big expense...and trying to amortize that over the number of lenses you THINK you will sell. If you guess too high, you'll have to raise your price to try to recoup your tooling cost...lowering your price to try to sell more lenses doesn't make much sense in a very limited market. Then there are manufacturing costs, packaging, handling, marketing, advertising, etc.

The 55-57 Chevy crowd doesn't blink at $30-70,000 for a nice car (I saw a driver '56 hardtop at the show Saturday that made the new owner happy at $30k...we'd be picking it apart on this forum like it was a POS).

We've still got it pretty good (and pretty inexpensive) over here in Studie land. I'm not sure I can think of a cheaper way to be in the old car hobby other than Studebakers...plus we've got one of the best support and parts networks around.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
03-27-2007, 06:54 PM

I doubt it. The cost of the actual plastic is a tiny part of the cost of the lens itself. The tool is the big expense...and trying to amortize that over the number of lenses you THINK you will sell. If you guess too high, you'll have to raise your price to try to recoup your tooling cost...lowering your price to try to sell more lenses doesn't make much sense in a very limited market. Then there are manufacturing costs, packaging, handling, marketing, advertising, etc.

The 55-57 Chevy crowd doesn't blink at $30-70,000 for a nice car (I saw a driver '56 hardtop at the show Saturday that made the new owner happy at $30k...we'd be picking it apart on this forum like it was a POS).

We've still got it pretty good (and pretty inexpensive) over here in Studie land. I'm not sure I can think of a cheaper way to be in the old car hobby other than Studebakers...plus we've got one of the best support and parts networks around.

studelover
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Dick I have a 1955 chevy and the tail lights are not as expensive as the Stude tail lights. I had to put off getting them another month. I can understand the tooling is expensive and trying to sell all those lenses when nobody needs one right now is a bummer. I should have gotten them when I was at York.I wish there was somebody out there with a cheap set of tail light and parking light lens. all in all I see your point. I guess I will get lucky again, thank goodness I got my 55 built back in "97" http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/mr1940/017_11A.jpg

Studebakers forever!

studelover
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Dick I have a 1955 chevy and the tail lights are not as expensive as the Stude tail lights. I had to put off getting them another month. I can understand the tooling is expensive and trying to sell all those lenses when nobody needs one right now is a bummer. I should have gotten them when I was at York.I wish there was somebody out there with a cheap set of tail light and parking light lens. all in all I see your point. I guess I will get lucky again, thank goodness I got my 55 built back in "97" http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/mr1940/017_11A.jpg

Studebakers forever!

Dick Steinkamp
03-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Beautiful Chevy [:p]

Yep, $11.95 for a '55-57 Chevy lens...

http://www.danchuk.com/02_01_taillight_lenses.html

Amazing what the higher sales volume can do for prices.

Dick Steinkamp
03-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Beautiful Chevy [:p]

Yep, $11.95 for a '55-57 Chevy lens...

http://www.danchuk.com/02_01_taillight_lenses.html

Amazing what the higher sales volume can do for prices.

StudeRich
03-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Studelover, when did they go up? I only get $22.00 each for the '57-'61 Hawk Tail Light Lenses![:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
03-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Studelover, when did they go up? I only get $22.00 each for the '57-'61 Hawk Tail Light Lenses![:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bondobilly
03-28-2007, 05:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

[quote]Originally posted by studelover

I doubt it. The cost of the actual plastic is a tiny part of the cost of the lens itself. The tool is the big expense...and trying to amortize that over the number of lenses you THINK you will sell. Y/quote]

Back in the late 70's early 80's we would do three model railroad shows a year, plus one Hobby Industry show. Everytime we came out with a new box car or passenger car some modeler would ask " why not do a Pullman Standard Hydra Cushion Car with Dreadnaught Ends in a 5-7 pattern, or how about doing the standard Northeast Caboose.
Finally we put up a sign. "we will produce any scale, any car you want, the first one will be $65,000, the second $6.95.

Tooling is extremely expensive, even with the new technologies that allow you to cast the mold, rather than cut it.

As for Chevrolet lenses being cheaper, it is easy. They have a larger market. If there were as many Studes being restored as Chevys' the price would be equivilant.

BG

bondobilly
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

[quote]Originally posted by studelover

I doubt it. The cost of the actual plastic is a tiny part of the cost of the lens itself. The tool is the big expense...and trying to amortize that over the number of lenses you THINK you will sell. Y/quote]

Back in the late 70's early 80's we would do three model railroad shows a year, plus one Hobby Industry show. Everytime we came out with a new box car or passenger car some modeler would ask " why not do a Pullman Standard Hydra Cushion Car with Dreadnaught Ends in a 5-7 pattern, or how about doing the standard Northeast Caboose.
Finally we put up a sign. "we will produce any scale, any car you want, the first one will be $65,000, the second $6.95.

Tooling is extremely expensive, even with the new technologies that allow you to cast the mold, rather than cut it.

As for Chevrolet lenses being cheaper, it is easy. They have a larger market. If there were as many Studes being restored as Chevys' the price would be equivilant.

BG

studelover
I was shopping in the SI book yesterday and I was using an old book. I had all my part numbers down with prices, after I gave her all the inventory she gave me thr price. 200 over what I had wrote down. We went back over it and the lenses,voltage regulator,horn relay stuff like that were out of this world. I hope I am not ruining it for myself as if you have the lenses for a reasonable price I would like to get it from you. The guy in Cali. told me that his was going up also I want to get them before they are 90.00.:(

Studebakers forever!

studelover
I was shopping in the SI book yesterday and I was using an old book. I had all my part numbers down with prices, after I gave her all the inventory she gave me thr price. 200 over what I had wrote down. We went back over it and the lenses,voltage regulator,horn relay stuff like that were out of this world. I hope I am not ruining it for myself as if you have the lenses for a reasonable price I would like to get it from you. The guy in Cali. told me that his was going up also I want to get them before they are 90.00.:(

Studebakers forever!

studelover
03-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Bondobilly I agree with that, volume is the key, however I have noticed alot of hawks being worked on recently. I think the sports car side of Studebaker is making a recergence. There are some pretty nice ones on this forum.;)

Studebakers forever!

studelover
03-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Bondobilly I agree with that, volume is the key, however I have noticed alot of hawks being worked on recently. I think the sports car side of Studebaker is making a recergence. There are some pretty nice ones on this forum.;)

Studebakers forever!

bondobilly
03-28-2007, 05:53 AM

Studebakers forever!

You are not ruining it for yourself. Prices are going up because of just what you said, "there are a lot of Hawks being worked on". That is the "rub". There are just so many parts left from the original stock, and demand is a huge factor in pricing replacement parts.

Right now the house/garage/basement is in total melt down. I think I have excellent used lenses, but, I have no idea where to look. If a guy in California has them for less than $90 a pair, get them.

There are some vendors who still have stock of some parts at lower prices, check Turning Wheels, and start calling around.

Bill

bondobilly
03-28-2007, 05:53 AM

Studebakers forever!

You are not ruining it for yourself. Prices are going up because of just what you said, "there are a lot of Hawks being worked on". That is the "rub". There are just so many parts left from the original stock, and demand is a huge factor in pricing replacement parts.

Right now the house/garage/basement is in total melt down. I think I have excellent used lenses, but, I have no idea where to look. If a guy in California has them for less than $90 a pair, get them.

There are some vendors who still have stock of some parts at lower prices, check Turning Wheels, and start calling around.

Bill