PDA

View Full Version : 3speed with overdrive questions

jaredyocum
03-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Any one know much about who made these tranys and how they worked? Did;nt only GM Ford and Studebaker use them ? What limits do they have on HP ? What diffrent configurations are there. Thanks

Jared S Yocum

whacker
03-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Jared, there are quite a few 3 speed OD transmissions for Studebaker. As far as I know, they are all off the shelf Borg-Warner transmissions that may be identicle to other brands of cars of the era. If you could give us some idea of what year and model Studebaker you are asking about, I'm sure someone can give you a better answer. Borg-Warners were used by Ford, Jeep, Checker, Jaguar, probably others over the years. Of the list you gave, I don't think GM used many of them, as they had their own transmission factory for most of their own applications.

rusty nut garage
03-27-2007, 06:50 PM
here's the overdrive manual,

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/Borg-Warner%20Overdrive/index.htm

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

PackardV8
03-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Greetings, All,

For the last 25-30 years, Studebaker used three main varieties of Borg-Warner overdrive transmissions:

1. Most Champion 6-cyls used the T-96. It is a light duty transmission, but gives great service, since there is only very light duty horsepower in front of it. The gears are installed through a sheet metal top cover.

2. Most V8s used the T-86, a medium duty transmission, again very durable, since most were 2-bbl single exhaust engines of less than 200hp. Gears are installed through a sheet metal top cover.

3. The 1956-58 Golden Hawks, later 289" trucks, some special order taxi, commercial and police cars got the T-85. This is a true heavy duty transmission. It has a cast iron side cover. It was the basis for the B-W T10, the first modern performance 4-speed transmission.

For the record, all American manufacturers used Borg-Warner transmissions at one time or another, including GM, Ford, Chrysler, International, AMC, Checker, Kaiser-Frasier, Jeep, Hudson, Nash, Packard and Diamond T.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8