PDA

View Full Version : Too much water in north-centeral Arkansas

50starlite
04-13-2008, 11:21 AM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/50starlite/IMG_0785.jpg

This is a major event for those down stream as the flooding will be the second time in a month. The first was from record rains and run-off and we are just coming off of a 6”rain on soaked ground. All three lakes are full and dumping water, Bull Shoals being the last hope and now it has less than 8” of capacity (and still rising) with two lakes dumping into it. The White River is expected to crest at one foot higher than the flood stage of March 18, which was a record flood since the dams were built in the 40’s and 50’s.

This is what is happing in my neighborhood on top of all the tornado damage we had last month also. One bright note, Convoy Of Hope had an event here yesterday that I and 600 other church volunteers participated in. Groceries were given out to over 2,000 families in need.

No rain predicted at least for the next seven days.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/50starlite/IMG_0087.jpg
Dick
Mountain Home, AR
http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker.htm

Chris Pile
04-13-2008, 02:55 PM
We're thinking of ya, and others having a little "water trouble".
My brother lives in eastern Texas, and they had 14 inches of rain in one week.
Two small rivers surrounded his town, so his family stayed in a church in the next town over for 3 days.

Chris Pile
StudeFolk Manager
http://tiny.cc/RYqAK

jnewkirk77
04-13-2008, 04:27 PM
The Black River over around Poplar Bluff, MO broke through a levee within the last couple of days. I'm still getting a good read on that bad situation, but so far, I haven't heard of any real major damage. We've got a good deal of water here, too, but nothing to compare with what is going on in MO and AR. We're going through those areas in a couple of weeks to visit family, so I guess we'll get to see the damage first hand. Having lived through the '97 flood on the Ohio River and its tributaries here, it's a very sobering experience.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

52-fan
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Greer's Ferry dam on the Little Red had to start dumping water Saturday which will end up in the White River also. Thankfully, we're on on high ground, but there is more water than I have seen in many years.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas

jnewkirk77
04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
If I may add a little humor to a humorless situation, I'm hoping to someday convert a VHS tape I have of the 1964 Ohio River flood. It's already been converted from 8mm film to VHS, so I don't know what to expect by digitizing it. The funny part of that is this: My late grandfather, who was at the time an Indiana state trooper, is captured on said film ... fishing ... in the middle of Main Street in Grandview, Indiana (!), just about 15 miles upriver from where I now live. I asked him, when I saw the film, if he caught anything. He looked at me, and with a straight face, said "Well, how do you think I ate during that flood?"

Grandma said it was months before Grandpa even wanted to LOOK at another fish!

BobGlasscock
04-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey jnewkird77, when you re-do that video, watch really close for a '64 Wagonaire. My dad ordered one and it was shipped by train and got lost in that flood, so if you find it, we have already paid for it! :) It was green.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

jnewkirk77
04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Hmmm ... I'll have to talk to some of the old railroad guys around here and see if any Studebakers passed through during that time. Owensboro was a major hub for the old Louisville & Nashville Railroad (now part of CSX), and they shipped Fords through here that came out of Louisville (and still do), but I don't know if Studebaker used them. I can't remember off-hand who owned the rails headed south from South Bend, but once you got to Indianapolis, you had a whole bunch of choices!

Where was your dad's car being shipped to? That would help me figure out which railroad carried it; this area didn't have a whole lot of choices (L&N, Southern, and a couple of others), but those two "biggies" would've been most affected by the flood around here, as some of their lines were very close to the river, especially upriver from here toward Tell City and points east.

Dick Steinkamp
04-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Head for high ground, Dick [^]

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

BobGlasscock
04-14-2008, 09:11 PM
It was headed for Buckley Bros. Studebaker in Denver, CO

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

52 Ragtop
04-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I sure hope that's not the same White River that goes through Noblesville Indiana! If it is, you got a LOT more water coming! and it's supposed to start raining again tomorrow night.

Stay high and dry

Jim

jnewkirk77
04-16-2008, 03:31 AM
That's strange, Bob ... cars headed by train out of South Bend to the Denver area should have gone west, through Chicago or maybe southwest, through St. Louis ... with Chicago being more likely.

Jim, it's a different White River. There are about four or five of 'em in the country (not counting forks!). I know both of the ones that are being referred to here, though. Is SR 19 closed through Noblesville yet? When 19 went under, that was always when I used to start calling friends and family along the White to let them know it was getting ready to come up big time.

stidman123
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
jacob,, have you ever seen the water get so close to the south of owenboro? i"ve been hauling freight thru there for years,never seen it that close. i'm on the saline river in southern ill just west of mt vernon in. might have to put everthing on the roof if this rain don't stop

jnewkirk77
04-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, in '97 it flooded the then-new Target store; the stores immediately south of that were not yet built, but the Malco theater was. All of that was backwater there comes from Panther Creek, which is about a mile and a half south of the Target out 431. I don't know what it would do since they built the MLK Loop around the southern part of the shopping area. It's raised about 8-10 feet above the lowest point out there.

Be careful over there; if it ain't rain, the ground's been shakin'!

stidman123
04-19-2008, 09:59 AM
jacob,they went to build the new walmart at harrisburg,il. in the flood plain. raised all the land for it flooded every business on rt45 where there has never been problems before.now they have about 10 lawsuits started over it. i wondered if that happened there to,,dan