This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '49 champion front suspension

I finally found the front suspension after chipping away a fantastic amount of dirt and grease on a '49 champion. I now have reached the point of standing and staring at it not really knowing what to do next.
    I am taking my first crack at a restoration/rat and my budget is about as tight as any student. I am going to put in a 4.3L and I am wondering if there any advice for front suspension options??
    I have started researching MustangII (expensive) and haven't had much luck asking around about rebuilding whats there already. The tie rod ends are shot all the bushings are at various stages of turning into powder. So if anybody has any suggestions or swap secrets that will get the car rolling as cheap as possible and help me get back on track that would be great. Thx

AMC Pacer, it has GM rack and pinion, available with disc brakes and four bolts and bushings to frame. Check it out.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 Commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

more details please

keith kirchhoff
      brockport ny 14420

Comment

Thanks for the tip my search for an old pacer has begun. couple of questions....

Will i have to change the steering box from the original?
        Does the pacer front end bolt on set up require much modification to the frame?
        will the old front mount cross member need to be replaced with something else?

If I can't track down a pacer is there any websites that might help me find parts (bushings,tie rods & ball joints)for the original front end

Comment

I have no personal experience with the swap since I keep my Studes original. The Pacer suggestion came from my friend Ron, who has been involved in Studebakers for over forty years. When I pressed him for more details he said he hasn't done it either but has read about it in Studebakers that have appeared in street rod magazines.

He's under the impression it bolts up with little or no frame modification and you would probably utilize the Pacer steering box and column.

Pacers are scarce but if you can find one it may be worth taking some measurements.

As far as original suspension parts, have you joined SDC, do you get Turning Wheels, the monthly magazine? Studebaker vendors are in abundance and this forum is only visited by a small percentage of the 26,000 SDC members.

The Studebaker had king pins, not ball joints but, I suspect, a suspension upgrade would be desirable for the engine swap you propose.

The following link is from this website but will still access only a portion of the vendors.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If possible I would keep the Studebaker original. The 49 champion to me was one of the best Studebakers. When front end is in good shape it will handle very well not to mention the gas mileage with the 6 cylinder overdrive. Once again, just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X