PDA

View Full Version : Using a Holley on stude v8

pszikszai
08-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I am using a Holley on my 63 studebaker v8 covertible
with powershift automatic.
I have rebuilt the one I am trying to adjust presently.
It idles great (a bit fast), runs great, accelerates great.

The only problem I have is that I can't seem to adjust the idle below 1000 - 1200 rpm. I would like it to idle at 800.

I have adjusted both idle adjustment screws to the highest rpm and back them down just a bit.
The engine runs great.
The carb list number is 6947, 600cfm.
Anyone has any experience with these?
Please do not suggest other carbs, this is the one I will use.

Thanks.
Paul

Roscomacaw
08-11-2006, 08:36 PM
"I have adjusted both idle adjustment screws to the highest rpm and back them down just a bit."

Do you mean MIXTURE screws??? If so, what about THE idle adjustment screw? That's "screw" as in one screw. Usually integral with the accelerator linkage.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

pszikszai
08-11-2006, 09:03 PM
THE idle adjustment screw is adjusted out so far,
that it is not even touching the cam.
Thanks

JDP
08-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Holley carbs are good for two things, drag racing and holding the garage door open.:)

http://stude.com/sig.jpg
Studebaker On The Net
http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
Arnold Md.
64 Daytona HT
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2/4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT(parts car)
60 Lark convert
60 Hawk
56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
52 Starliner
51 Commander

pszikszai
08-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the advice JDP.

DEEPNHOCK
08-11-2006, 10:19 PM
It's good advice.
Don't treat it lightly.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

Thanks for the advice JDP.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
Ocala, FL.[u](For one more month!)</u>
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

gordr
08-11-2006, 10:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

THE idle adjustment screw is adjusted out so far,
that it is not even touching the cam.
Thanks

While I tend to agree with JDP about Holleys (other than to add they are good for burning cars to the ground[}:)] ), I'd suggest you check for a vacuum leakage path. Brake booster line? PCV line? Are you sure that the throttle plates do completely shut the bores? Could the secondary throttle plates be open a tad?

You should be able to get the airflow on any carb shut down tight enough to stall out the engine.

Just a thought; any interference between the throttle linkage and the top of the intake manifold? Has the throttle bellcrank hit its stop before the carb throttle plates have fully closed?

No reason you shouldn't be able to make that carb work, although 600 CFM is a touch big for stock Stude V8, IMHO.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

imported_n/a
08-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Holleys are a very good carburetor, but when left in storage for extended periods on a collector car, the soft parts may dry out, deteriorate, and then you'll have fuel leakeage, particularly from the fuel pump diaphram. Another ailment that they have is from careless installations on hot rods whereby the choke is inoperable or some other tuning problem exists(such a vacuum leak), and the engine "backfires" and damages the power valve diaphram, which results in rich mixture. Hence, many people adjudge them as unsuitable. In your situation, though-- I am wondering what sort of adaptor you are using to acomplish your installation onto a Stude manifold? If I were you, I would look for a problem with a vacuum leak right in that vicinity. The Holley is physically a larger carburetor than either of the Carters we see on them, requiring an adaptor and several gaskets. Are you reusing old base gaskets? You can get by with it if they are fairly fresh, but not if they are a few years old. Does the adaptor COMPLETELY cover the ported areas on the carb base plate, and seal off the carburetor base on the manifold? If not, this could cause a vacuum leak and a fast idle situation.

ROADRACELARK
08-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Just a thought....disconnect the throttle linkage from the carb completely...then see if it still idles fast...if so, your linkage is too short..adjust as nessessary. If you can't hear the vacuum leak, there are several ways to find it,,, spraying WD40, carb. spray cleaner, brake cleaner, they're all messy...get out your propane torch, turn it on a small amount(un-lit, of course!), and aim it at or around the base of the carb. or any other area you suspect may be leaking. If it has a leak, the motor will speed up the second the propane finds the leak. Hope this helps.:)
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Roscomacaw
08-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Dan, that was my first thought after he said the idle screw was all the way off.;) Linkage too short OR hindered in some way. And not necessarily at the link that hooks to the carb either. The bellcrank or even the throttle pressure linkage to the tranny could have a problem.
Of course, a vacuum leak would be next.

pszikszai, twiddling those mixture screws will do little and not be set right until this thing either able to have it's throttle butterflies go completely shut or the possible vac leak addressed.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ROADRACELARK
08-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Bob,
IMHO....Just as JP said, Hollys are great for racing, just WAY too tempermental for street use. The good ole' AFB is hard to beat...it's still on the hot rod with the only change having to raise the float level for them sharp turns at WFO :D you know what I mean...steering with your right foot.;) I'm trying to get one of my pictures loaded on my signature block if I can figure it out. Later:)
Dan Miller

Road Racers turn left AND right.

pszikszai
08-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Someone mentioned problems with butterfly closing.
I made me look at the fast idle screw.
It needed two turns out and this allowed the throtle plate
to fully close now it works like a charm.
Thanks for all sugestions.
Paul