PDA

View Full Version : Radio for 60 Hawk

diodorus
08-10-2006, 09:20 PM
During the couple months I've owned my Hawk the radio hasn't worked.
Tonight I thought I'd have a looksee under the dash (whoa). I remembered that the kid who did "a little work" on the car before I bought it said that he could'nt get the radio that was in there to work; so he switched it with another. After failing to get the second one to work he gave up. OK. I've got two radios. The one in the dash - an RCA CP4780 and the one on my garage bench - a Delco 3216 (which has "Studebaker" written on the front ... and those nifty Civil Defense symbols on the tuner's window). I assume that the Delco went with the car but the RCA fits the opening way better. I'd send y'all a pic but the wife has the dig cam and she's out of town for a couple days. I scoured the web for a picture of a 60 Hawk dash and struck out. Information pleez!

showbizkid
08-10-2006, 10:33 PM
According to the Delco radio application chart that JDP posted a while back the 3216 is for a '62 GT Hawk, which may explain why it doesn't fit up right. I can't say for sure, but that might be a reason :)

Here's a link to the list for reference:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4927

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard

diodorus
08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I think you solved it Clark. I did in fact get some various GT odds and ends with the purchase. Clearly the AC Delco came from that grab bag of stuff. I should have a model 2978. Wonder when they went over to transistors... could'nt have been too many years earlier than 60?
Thanks for the help.
Jim

gordr
08-11-2006, 01:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by diodorus

I think you solved it Clark. I did in fact get some various GT odds and ends with the purchase. Clearly the AC Delco came from that grab bag of stuff. I should have a model 2978. Wonder when they went over to transistors... could'nt have been too many years earlier than 60?
Thanks for the help.
Jim

If I'm not mistaken, I think your '60 Hawk should have a hybrid radio; it uses special tubes that can live with only 12 volts on the plates, and the audio output stage is a transistor. If I'm wrong, then it's one of the first years for all-transistor radios.

Look on eBay, both under Studebaker and under "old radios" or "antique radios". I saw a '59 - '60 lark radio there last night, and I think they are basically the same. It was sitting at $5.00, if I remember right.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands