PDA

View Full Version : Too much ebay information

JDP
08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Nice Avanti, but pity the bidders with a dial up connection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6466QQihZ006QQitemZ160017655887

http://stude.com/sig.jpg
Studebaker On The Net
http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
Arnold Md.
64 Daytona HT
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2/4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT(parts car)
60 Lark convert
60 Hawk
56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
52 Starliner
51 Commander

CHAMP
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I agree! To much information!:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

PackardV8
08-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Want start a pool, betting on the high bid? Would $28k be a record for an R1?

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

StudeRich
08-10-2006, 12:31 PM
JP That's interesting, I thought that R4874 '64 Avanti with square Hd. Light Bezels would be late enough to have the air inlet slots over the "scoupe" hump on the cowl. This one has none! I guess it's just another "running change" that I thought happened at the serial where most '64 changes happened, but did not.
Unless this thing has been re-bodied?[}:)] It does have a Calif. I.D. that I thought was very strange considering all the original documention of body, engine and serial#'s, why not a correct serial # title? When Calif. issues those Replacement I.D. plates they are saying that the serial # cannot be verified, and it's VIN forevermore in ANY State will become the Calif I.D.# ! NOT GOOD, for a valueable antique![xx(]:(
Rich.:)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Scott
08-10-2006, 12:38 PM
JDP,
People with dial up connections aren't going to be shopping for a $30,000 Avanti!!:D

Notice in the pictures they can't spell copyright correctly? I hate ignorance.

wagone
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Why is the engine and transmission painted red? The '63s were black, perhaps the color was changed in '64 (I doubt it) and I can't remember when last I saw a '64 that could have been original. Just wondering.[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]:D:D And less than 4,000 original miles?

wagone

StudeRich
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Only R3 and R4 engine's were RED it should be Black, you are right!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bams50
08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

JDP,
People with dial up connections aren't going to be shopping for a $30,000 Avanti!!:D

Notice in the pictures they can't spell copyright correctly? I hate ignorance.

Not a very accurate statement...[:o)]

Most of the the time during the week when I'm on here, I'm sitting in my year-and-a-half old house on 10 acres with 2 big garages- on DIAL-UP!![:0] I have high speed at my other house, and one of my offices; but cable just isn't available on my road yet (they say in a year or so)... I could afford another $30K car if I wanted; yet somehow survive with dial-up!! [xx(]

No offense taken at all; just had a chuckle when I saw the last sentence of your post :D

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

studegary
08-10-2006, 02:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

JDP,

That is a bad assumption. I, for one, have purchased several Avantis, including one that was over $30,000, and I am on a very slow dial up Internet connection. I am hoping that Verizon gets DSL to me. People within a couple of miles of me in different directions can access Verizon DSL, but it is not yet available on my street.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Scott
08-10-2006, 02:40 PM
OK, you're an exception. It just means that people living in the right place with the ability and financial means to get a faster connection are more likely to get opportunities and information that you can't (or wouldn't want to spend all the extra time on).

I haven't used dial up in at least 5 years. I live in the country, too. It's hard for me imagine that dial up is still used by anyone in the year 2006 (but not everyone has a choice).

JDP
08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
I says "shows 3xxx miles", not that that's how many are on the car. I'll watch the car to see if it beats my 28K record because I wonder if folks would rather buy from a hobbiest then a dealer. It's certainly a nice car.

http://stude.com/sig.jpg
Studebaker On The Net
http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
Arnold Md.
64 Daytona HT
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2/4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT(parts car)
60 Lark convert
60 Hawk
56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
52 Starliner
51 Commander

wagone
08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
A hobbist any time JP. If by hobbist you mean (and I think you do) someone who has a true appreciation for the vehicle, has given it reasonable care, and knows its true uninflated value as opposed to someone "just trying to make a living" (yeah, right). Or is that too obvious a question to justify the time for an answer--at least on this forum!

wagone

showbizkid
08-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Interesting line items on the windows sticker but not on the factory invoice: "TV Advertising" and "Metro Advertising", charges amounting to $70.00. Wonder what was up with that? Was that the dealer trying to recoup his promotional costs?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard

imitiday
08-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Very [rough] condition for a 3800 mile car,regardless of marque,
if you ask me!

stude freak
08-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey, Im still on dial up.Not because I want to be but all thats availible .I live a mile from cable ,but according to powers that be its not cost efficient to run it that far just for me. Ah the price we pay to own a few acres n be off to ourselves.The serene quietness,the joy of deer feeding in the yard,squirrels playing in the large oaks,a family of rabbits nibbling tender grasses,and the call of the bobwhite every evening at dusk .

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

StudeRich
08-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Forget the dial-up!![xx(] Does anyone know if THIS IS A REAL STOCK '64 AVANTI OR NOT? Is it supposed to have a left hand air vent?[?]

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

JP That's interesting, I thought that R4874 '64 Avanti with square Hd. Light Bezels would be late enough to have the air inlet slots over the "scoupe" hump on the cowl. This one has none! I guess it's just another "running change" that I thought happened at the serial where most '64 changes happened, but did not.
Unless this thing has been re-bodied?[}:)] It does have a Calif. I.D. that I thought was very strange considering all the original documention of body, engine and serial#'s, why not a correct serial # title? When Calif. issues those Replacement I.D. plates they are saying that the serial # cannot be verified, and it's VIN forevermore in ANY State will become the Calif I.D.# ! NOT GOOD, for a valueable antique![xx(]:(Rich.:)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

studegary
08-11-2006, 03:06 PM
[quote]Originally posted by showbizkid

Interesting line items on the windows sticker but not on the factory invoice: "TV Advertising" and "Metro Advertising", charges amounting to $70.00. Wonder what was up with that? Was that the dealer trying to recoup his promotional costs?

[quote]

Having worked in new car sales in a franchised dealership, I will give my opinion on this. Dealerships are part of a zone. The zone does advertising (print, TV,etc.). The dealerships are charged for this "service" whether they want it or not. The per unit cost is added to the dealer's invoice on vehicles. I didn't look at the listing. Are you really referring to a "factory invoice" or are you referring to a build sheet. The charges wouldn't show on the build sheet, but should show on the invoice. If an invoice is truly shown, then the charges are probably local. I am on a very slow dial up Internet connection and did not waste my time looking at the listing after the warning.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

8E45E
08-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Having worked in new car sales in a franchised dealership, I will give my opinion on this. Dealerships are part of a zone. The zone does advertising (print, TV,etc.). The dealerships are charged for this "service" whether they want it or not.

Well, what IS your opinion? You expained what it is, but didn't state whether you agree with it or not. I can certainly state my opinons when it comes to being a lessee of a service station of a major oil company which essentially has a similar cost dispersment idea in place to pay for local advertising, bet it TV, radio, newpaper, 'mandatory' promotions, or billboard, whether you like it or not.

Craig

Craig.

ROADRACELARK
08-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Is it me? or are those 63' seats???? they look kinda' thin compared to the thick 64 style....plus the drivers seat cushion door side bolster looks to be broken down. What about those early style step plates?????. Anyone else miss the escrutcheons(sp) by the 1/4 window latches?????? Also the non original fully welded exhaust system.. too many things wrong for this to be an "original" car with those miles. JMHO.:)
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

showbizkid
08-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Gary, here's the pic:

http://images.andale.com/f2/113/114/8170054/1155541343664_1964_Studebaker_Avanti_R1_122.JPG

Does that help figure it out?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard

studegary
08-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Clark - Thanks for posting that, but I can barely make it out on my monitor. The upper part appears to be build sheet. The large page appears to list invoice prices. Paragraph 23D of the Studebaker Dealer Sales Agreement states that dealers would be charged TV advertising and sales promotion charges. For example, Studebaker Sales Letter No. 101, 10/1/62, states that $20 per car will be added for the "Mr. Ed" television program. I don't know what was included in TV and Adv. when this Avanti was invoiced.

Craig - I thought that my stating that dealers were charged for this service whether they wanted it or not would imply that I did not like the tactic.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

Laemmle
08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, with all the money JDP has made maybe he can outfit all the "poor" folks on dial up....no pictures of the engine?...odd....second I would never purchase from a dealer....only a hobbyist(sp)...something is not correct with this car...can not put my finger on it but it leaves an un-easy feeling....also Gary, you did not have to state that you spent 30K on an Avanti, forum members do not really care how deep ones pockets are....if you did this in response to that statement by JDP...it was not needed.......what is needed?......the ability to stop "camel-jockeys" from blowing themselves up all over the United States....as long as these A-howls are out there my interest in cars takes a back seat.....

8E45E
08-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Craig - I thought that my stating that dealers were charged for this service whether they wanted it or not would imply that I did not like the tactic.

More open-ended than opinionated is how I interpreted it. I know if as customer, I would refuse to pay it, and the dealer probably would have knocked it off the final price, given the slow sales of the Avanti. I would simply explain that I personally NEVER buy anything from a TV commercial; especially a car!!

Craig.

jcarmichael
08-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I never assume the mileage is correct unless it can be proved by service records etc. I would guess the true mileage is over the limits of the odometer but don't know by how many times. One of my customers had a 73 Buick Century that had 260,000 miles on it and you would have thought it was 60,000 by looking at the car.

I am wondering about the statement that it was professionally restored followed by the statement that it is all original.

1961 Lark

studegary
08-12-2006, 08:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Well, with all the money JDP has made maybe he can outfit all the "poor" folks on dial up....no pictures of the engine?...odd....second I would never purchase from a dealer....only a hobbyist(sp)...something is not correct with this car...can not put my finger on it but it leaves an un-easy feeling....also Gary, you did not have to state that you spent 30K on an Avanti, forum members do not really care how deep ones pockets are....if you did this in response to that statement by JDP...it was not needed......

My statement was NOT in response to JDP. If you look at the quote that I was responding to, it was from Scott. Scott said that "people with dial up connections aren't going to be shopping for a $30,000 Avanti." I just wanted to state that his assumption was incorrect by using a concrete example. Being a senior citizen on a small pension and Social Security, my pockets are probably not as deep as many on this forum. Also, much that is stated here is "not needed," for example the portion of your post that I cut off the quote.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

52hawk
08-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Verrry eenteresting!!! I wonder what people would spend their money on now days,if included in the invoice was the cost of the advertising for the product??
New brand x-car: cost of production,$2000,cost of funny tv commercial,newspaper and radio ads:$18,000-buy it NOWWW!!!
We all pay for that advertising,it just doesn't show up on the invoice.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Laemmle
08-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Gary,

Save me the hearts and flowers......when a jet falls out of the sky on Wappinger Falls due to some "sand-flea" who has just blown it out of the sky, tell me how important your post is concerning spending 30K on an Avanti...better to build a bomb shelter with that kind of money, cause those A-howls are surely not going to be stopped....or maybe you forgot 9/11 and the events in the UK?...

bams50
08-13-2006, 06:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Gary,

Save me the hearts and flowers......when a jet falls out of the sky on Wappinger Falls due to some "sand-flea" who has just blown it out of the sky, tell me how important your post is concerning spending 30K on an Avanti...better to build a bomb shelter with that kind of money, cause those A-howls are surely not going to be stopped....or maybe you forgot 9/11 and the events in the UK?...

I think you're forgetting where you're posting... did you realize this is about Studes? :D

I too am extremely concerned about a. The VERY serious terrorist threat and b. the huge number of Americans that refuse to admit the threat... but I recognize that I come here to learn and share about STUDES, and not attack others who are here for the same!

Believe me, I am VERY aware of all that's going on; and DO care; and WILL do anything I'm called upon to do for my country! For now, I see my part as caring for and about good folks; keeping myself as prepared as possible; and enjoying and appreciating all that God has blessed me with!

It's obvious you're upset and worried about what's going on in the world; as am I and I'm sure most who come here... but taking it out on someone here isn't the best use of your energy!

God bless, and hope you feel better soon!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Laemmle
08-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Actually Bob I feel fine.......I happened to be in one of those towers seven days before the "event" that truly changed all our lives....additionally I "lost" a client who was in one of the towers...so yes maybe recent events have effected me in profound ways...so to all the members of the forum who were subjected to the short outburst......my apologies...

studegary
08-13-2006, 08:34 PM
[quote]Originally posted by 52hawk

Verrry eenteresting!!! I wonder what people would spend their money on now days,if included in the invoice was the cost of the advertising for the product??
New brand x-car: cost of production,$2000,cost of funny tv commercial,newspaper and radio ads:$18,000-buy it NOWWW!!!
We all pay for that advertising,it just doesn't show up on the invoice.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark
[quote]

As recently as October 1999, when I was last in the new car sales business, zone advertising did show up on the invoice. We are referring to the factory invoice to the dealer, which very few customers are aware of or ever see. Most floor salespeople in large dealerships do not see the factoory invoice. They are just given a base price with a dealer pack to work from on a given car. I do not agree with this system, but I also am not aware that it has changed in the last few years.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

big jim
08-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I have about 100 studebaker invoices (dealer copy) they all have promotion costs on them. Back to it "don't look just right". Unless it's the lighting the paint doesn't look like Avanti red...I had a '64 red bought new the red was almost maroon!!!