PDA

View Full Version : Best Lubricants

gandolph
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Going to flush trans, o.d. and tt rear axle on 57 Golden Hawk. What is the current, best lubricants to use when i refill. Should i flush with kerosene after draining?

StudeRich
03-26-2007, 06:08 PM
GL 4 80-90 wt. ONLY, in the O.D. Trans. ! NOT the GL4,GL5 combo or GL5 with the high pressure anti-slip compounds in it, that will cause Overdrive problems. Sta-Lube makes a good one. [^]

In the rear end you want GL5 80W-90Wt. for limited slip and for a complete drain you also need to add the Chrysler/Jeep, GM or Ford Friction modifier additive. Small bottle of black liquid, maybe 4OZ.

DO NOT ever, flush out the cases! after through draining, just soak the gunk up in a rag and dab it out and call it good. Residual Kerosene will damage the bearings, all R/A parts manufacturers recommend against it! [xx(] The tranny will "hold" even more Kerosene in the nooks and crannies, I would not want to hurt that super heavy Duty T-85 Overdrive! [^]

Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by gandolph

Going to flush trans, o.d. and tt rear axle on 57 Golden Hawk. What is the current, best lubricants to use when i refill. Should i flush with kerosene after draining?

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA