PDA

View Full Version : POR 15 or like products????

54-61-62
08-10-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm going to be painting the underside of a 62 lark soon. I've never used products like POR 15, is it worth it or should I just stick with regular enamel with hardner? POR 15 seems awefully expensive...

Does anyone have experience with other competing products of POR 15, ie Bill hirsch's "miracle paint", Magnet paints "chasis saver", etc?

Anybody have an idea how much paint for doing a whole underside of a lark?

Thanks
KF

StudeRich
08-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Our auto paint store had SEM products generic rust sealer type paint for way less than the "Real Deal". Ask someone who knows Automotive paint...not the paint websites!
Rich.

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

I'm going to be painting the underside of a 62 lark soon. I've never used products like POR 15, is it worth it or should I just stick with regular enamel with hardner? POR 15 seems awefully expensive...
Does anyone have experience with other competing products of POR 15, ie Bill hirsch's "miracle paint", Magnet paints "chasis saver", etc?
Anybody have an idea how much paint for doing a whole underside of a lark? Thanks KF

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bams50
08-10-2006, 05:24 AM
I did body work for 20 years; and while I have yet to try the POR-15, I can tell you that paint, hardener or not, does VERY little to protect from rust...

If you're looking for rust protection, I recommend rubberized undercoating... I believe POR-15 is made to "neutralize" existing rust.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Kdancy
08-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Some other rust products -
Evapo-Rust
http://www.orisonmarketing.com/corrosion/evaporust/evapo-rust.html

Picklex20
http://www.picklex20.com/

Rust Bullet
http://www.rust-bullet.com/wasser-por15-tests.html

Zero Rust
http://www.zerorust.com/

jimmijim8
08-10-2006, 07:26 AM
I have used the SEM brand rust preventative. {RUST SHIELD,RUST AND CORROSION CONTROL COATING BLACK, 38101. I bought a couple gallons about 6 years ago. Chuck Baranowsky turned me on to it. To me it is as good as the POR 15 and also less expensive. It is a semi gloss coating that looks great on frames, c&k fan shrouds, brake boosters, backing plates or whatever. I am happy using it. Sprayable and brushable. As with any coating, in my opinion, it is best to remove as much rust as possible, if not all. Go to their web site to see all the products they have to offer. jimmijim8

Scott
08-10-2006, 10:00 AM
I just got a pint of Rust Bullet. I have not usd it yet, but if you read the literature available on it I would say it has POR-15 beat every which way.

I can say, though, that the telephone assistance at Rust Bullet is very good.

tstclr
08-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I have used POR with great success. I would never use it to fix holes like some folks have. I have used it as well as zero rust and prefer the POR. It is pricey, but it has great coverage. You MUST follow the instructions as far as metal prep etc go. If you spray it you must use a respirator as it has isocynates. You also must top coat it if it is exposed to the sun.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Kdancy
08-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I've used Por15 as well and had some major issues with it lifting. It was applied after pressure washing and using their cleaner and prep and by following the instructions to a "T".
That is when I tried the Rust Bullet. I will say this about the rust bullet, if you top coat it with their black, you still need to sand before top coating regardless what they tell you ! I have had a steam cleaner water container full of water for over a year and still no rust has come thru, this was after knocking all the loose rust off and applying three coats to the inside of the tank.
I am going to try some of the Zero Rust and see how it does.

Roscomacaw
08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
POR works alright. But you must use it on bare metal - or better yet - RUSTED metal. It's not a neutralizer, it's a barrier.

When it was fairly new on the market, I bought it and used it as a rust stop on the ragtop Lark's floors. There wasn't any thru rot or even BAD rust on the floors, just spots where it had started. The POR went on nicely and yet spray paint would've stuck better in the end. The stuff WILL NOT stick to paint worth a damn. You can slop it on over paint (or primer) alright, but you can peel it off without too much effort once it dries. Consider that if you're gonna be using it where there's some traces of old paint left and you figure you'll just coat everything to be safe.:(

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

stude freak
08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Paint is not a rust preventative .Its just a waste of time and money to put underneath .Use por 15 or something like it.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Buck
08-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Eastwood has the best I have ever used bar none. eastwood.com

Studenut
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't know about paint's durability on the underside of a car, but about 50 years ago I took the door panels off of my '53 coupe and painted the inside and bottom of the doors with rustproofing paint. The car is currently being professionally restored, and they didn't need to do any repair on the doors as there was no rust!

Jerry Buck
'53 Champion Coupe-C
'61 Lark VI Convertible

62beater
08-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I used a product called Chassis Saver and it works pretty good, it is advertised in Hemmings, but I purchase it locally from main auto parts. The last quart I bought was around $26, and i brushed it over a rusty truck frame which has survived one einter with no problem, but three notes (which I believe apply to POR 15 also?) 1) it must be applied over rusty metal or sandblasted metal or it will not stick, 2) It is not UV resistant so it will fade if it is left in the sun, 3) Most importantly wear gloves and long sleeves because it is nearly impossible to get off your skin....I know, I walked around school for two weeks with gloss black hands

Scott
08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Rust bullet is UV resistant and does not require etching before being applied. It adheres best when the surface (especially is painted) is sanded to rough it up. There is very little prep compared to POR-15. It is not black, but is a silvery gray.