PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel race/bearing

curt
08-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I pulled the read axel out enough to see the bearing. Greased the bearing ,,PROBLEM: how do you reseat the race? Tap with wood ? tighten the backing plate even around?

41 Frank
08-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I always just tap it in place with a brass punch or a plastic hammer head

jimmijim8
08-10-2006, 08:19 AM
It will tap in very easily only if your thrust pins are in place. They have a tendancy to fall out of place when you pull the axle. To put them back in place, first use a flashlight to see what you are up against. Use a magnet on a telescopic rod to retrieve the thrust pin. Use an acetylene welding rod {bout 3 feet long},pushed thru the hole in the pin to re-install it.. Bend the tip of the rod slightly so that the pin will stay put. Also the top half of a fishing rod helps stabilize the rod to direct the pin in place. You know, put the rod through the eyes of the pole. Insert in axle tube. Once in place, hold the rod against the pin head and pull the welding rod out. Works for me. I was told of this method on this tech site and am only relaying the information. I forget who told me but thanks. jimmijim

curt
08-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I tapped it in. I do not think anything is out of place, this 'race' as I call it is the last piece to go into the axle housing, it is a tight fit since the bearings roll (held in place) on the race. I did not want to bend the race and assumed there was a method, like tap with a wood mallet, plastic mallet, rubber mallet. I did not sense the axle was having a problem seating, the race just needed to be pushed To the bearings without injuring the race. Thanks for the help, any other answers are welcome.