X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Block ID

I have a new engine block, casting number 1554641
    What is displacement and any details,it has a cover plate on the full flow oil filter pad.

Thanks

BG

Maybe Dwain can tell you more, but casting numbers aren't something we pay much attention to. If it's an 8 cylinder block (you didn't say)(and I'm assuming it's a BARE block here), it could be meant to be a 259 or 289. It wouldn't be defined either way until a crank and pistons were selected. Studebaker only had ONE basic V8 block and it only ever had two basic bore sizes drilled into that same basic block.
    Now if it's a 6-cylinder block, the only thing it could be is a 170 OHV engine because that's the only full-flow 6 they ever built.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Need more info.

Comment

I recognize the casting number as being a late '62,'63 or'64 V-8 full-flow block, but as Biggs said, it could be either a 259 or 289. If it has a metal tag on the top or a box or crate with the Studebaker part number 1558824, it's a 289 if it's 1556232 it's a 259. Also there should be new fitted pistons, rings and pins in the cylinders, just look at the top of the pistons, if they are "dished" it's a 289, if flat it's a 259.
        There is VERY LITTLE chance that it is an Avanti or Jet Thrust replacement block which would be a 289 with flat top pistons, in which case it would NOT have full "skirts" on the wrist pin side.
        Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by bbb

I have a new engine block, casting number 1554641
        What is displacement and any details,it has a cover plate on the full flow oil filter pad.
        Thanks BG
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X