This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Change-over

I am looking to switch a 4 speed to an automatic with a floor mounted shifter in a GT Hawk..

Can anybody advise if the 'fibreglass' box and floor mounted power shifter assembly is available..new or refurbished..

Have not decided if it will be a Stude auto or GM 400/700R..but assume will not have impact on installing the Stude floor shifter package?

Tks

Barry

Barry Leppan
    Burlington, Ont. Canada
    64 Daytona HT 5-spd
    64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/4-spd

Barry,

I do not know the reason for your desire to change over, but if this is a factory R1 package car I would strongly consider keeping it as it is. Installing a brand X transmission in your car will probably take away from the value of a fairly rare car if you ever decide to sell. If a change over is absolutely necessary (i.e. you can no longer shift a manual transmission), why not go with the heavy duty FOM that would have come with your car?

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Hi Gary

The reason is my night time vision is such that my wife usually drives our brand X when we are out after dark, and she cannot (and does not want) to deal with a 4 speed..

I understand that the car was originally built with automatic, but was switched over by the 2nd owner, (I am the 4th)..

I have requested the production order from the NSM a few weeks ago, and will then find out the truth!!

I appreciate your comments on the value issue, but assume returning it to a FOM if it was built that way would have minimum impact??

Tks
      Barry

Barry Leppan
      Burlington, Ont. Canada
      64 Daytona HT 5-spd
      64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/4-spd
      Barry Leppan
      Ontario, Canada
      64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
      GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Returning it to factory will restore the value .... usually. Though
        with a Studebaker the 4 speed cars are fairly rare. If the swap was
        done WELL, then even a non-original 4 spd would more likely receive a
        higher resale then a comparable original auto.

But, then thats based on market, and the buyer.

My 63 Avanti came with the T86 3 spd stick. Its totally out of place
        in a sports car like an Avanti. I had a GM 700 R4 in my 60 Hawk, and
        I absolutely LOVED it. I considered swapping the Avanti to an auto, &
        then decided not too. I like the Avanti being a manual, I just dont
        like the trans in it. A 4 spd manual would fix that, but I am going
        for a "pro-touring" Avanti, so I picked up a 97 Camaro T56 6 spd. Its
        going to be interesting getting it mounted up to the Stude engine.
        If you plan on going with the 700 R4, I have a few tips that can help
        you out fitting into a Hawk (though I suggest leaving it alone).

Also, if you arent going to benefit from the rewards of the overdrive
        GM trans (700R4) then its pointless to go through the trouble of doing
        a GM trans swap. Just stick with the Studebaker, other then the 1st
        gear start, the 400 wont get you anything over stock.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Per your original question, I have seen the Powershift shifters sold regularly at swap meets. Most of the parts for them are available (linkages and bushings, etc.) the two switches, one for neutral start and the other for backup lights are sort of scarce. The tunnel tower is kind of scarce also, as it is specific to the Hawk. This all gets pretty detailed as some of the parts are Hawk specific, others aren't and which transmission you decide to go with will make a difference also.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Just so you are aware...

if the car came with a *flightomatic* it should have a column shift. If it came with a *powershift* it should have a floor shift. They are the same transmission... but different. If you put in a FOM with a PS floor shift, the detents won't line up... the FOM shift pattern is PNDLR, while the PS shift pattern is PRND21. Likewise with a 3rd party OD trans; you gotta make sure the shift pattern jives with the shifter you're gonna use. If it helps any at all, there's a good working FOM on the floor of JP's garage that came out of my '55 coupe, it is a non-HD '63 unit (as best I know; the engine was a '63 289, I never bothered to look up the numbers on the trans.) I don't know really who owns it at this point; JP and I didn't really work out all the fine details when I "traded" him for the R1 engine (but AFAIK neither one of us have plans for it. If you're in Ontario though, I bet someone has a good slushbox closer to you.)

Check your radiator; if it has fittings for the trans cooler, it likely had either a HD FOM or else a Powershift. The Powershift is nice in that it has manual first and second but otherwise in day to day driving the FOM is essentially the same trans (both have second gear start)

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Just another thought, if I *had* to go automatic (I'm kind of a stickshift snob) I would be sorely tempted to go with an overdrive, especially if you have a 3.73 or higher rear end, even though that means you'll likely have to do something custom with the shifter.

nate

(who has a wide-ratio 4-speed and 3.73 going into my '55 coupe, so it's a matter of do as I say not as I do. I'd like a 5-speed, but the bank account says NO. Guess I'll be cruising in the right lane until more funds become available.)

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Along with your belief that the car has been switched from AT to 4-spd., and your order of a build sheet from the SNM, is there any chance that the serial number plate on your car has been exchanged from another car? Are there any signs of tampering with the S/N plate? Is it still held to the A-pillar with the factory spot welds?

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Once again the knowledge and help on this web site is just terrific..
                  TOM..the swap appears to have been well done..complete with a new T-10 and a 4:10 Dana 44 TT..(The car is not yet finished and is as I purchased it back in June) and I agree, as a low mileage driver, the overdrive may be a waste of money.
                  TIM K...looks like i will be doing a lot of swap meet scrounging,eh..
                  NATE..I was told that the car originally had a column shift, but was changed when it became a 4 spd..and I will check the rad out..with the 4:10 ratio, it looks like I will have to replace the rear end to a lower number for sure..my Daytona has a 3:73 with a 5 spd Ford trans, 1st is a little short but the car runs 70 mph + @ approx 2000 rpm all day..
                  GARY..the S/N plate appears to be factory spot weld and Ron Elerbe did confirm the VIN number with the JT block number so appears correct..
                  Looking forward to getting the production order from the Museum!!

Thank you all..

Barry

Barry Leppan
                  Burlington, Ont. Canada
                  64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                  64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/4-spd
                  Barry Leppan
                  Ontario, Canada
                  64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
                  GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Barry; this is a Very Desirable car R1, 4 speed, 4.09 ratio (ready for the Drags) factory or not. It would bring a very good price if complete and running. While everyone has their own personal reasons for doing what they do, if it were mine and I couldn't drive it or even ride in it, I would just make it run and sell it and buy what works for me! just my opinion!

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X