PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE I.D.-A5625/6E5408..what is it?

icobra2ford
08-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I have what i suspect to be a late 60s 289. The numbers that are stamped in to the lifter galley deck are...A5625,below these are 6E5408. Ther is a small cloverleaf next to these numbers. Can anyone tell what the size and date of manufacture of this engine is? If it is a 289, what spark plug terminal does the rotor point to when the timeing gear indicators are lined up? Any help is apprec.

ddub
08-08-2006, 12:17 PM
ISTR that the clover leaf meant heavy duty which included valve rotors. I could be wrong.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
Centralia, WA

Dick Steinkamp
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
The 6E5408 crosses to a '62 truck 289...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_v8data.asp

I don't know what the A5625 is.

BTW, no such thing as a late 60's 289. The last Studebaker with a 289 was produced in 1964. Mid year 1962, they were changed from a partial flow oil filter system to a full flow system. The full flow engines are more desireable. You can tell a full flow by the spin on oil filter housing on the rear of the passenger side of the motor.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

icobra2ford
08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
This engine came from a retired drag car, (53 starliner) it has no oil filter anywher on the engine. Ther is a block-off plate wher the spin on adapter should be,and a plate over the oil filler tube hole. The numbers cast into the heads just above the exhaust ports are 1555284. Someone was refering the cloverleaf ment it was a factory replacement engine? I am needing the size and date of manufact. so I can order the correct engine re-build kits. Also,need to know how to properly time this engine when I put in a new set of time gears and a new distributor.

Skip Lackie
08-08-2006, 01:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by icobra2ford

This engine came from a retired drag car, (53 starliner) it has no oil filter anywher on the engine. Ther is a block-off plate wher the spin on adapter should be,and a plate over the oil filler tube hole. The numbers cast into the heads just above the exhaust ports are 1555284. Someone was refering the cloverleaf ment it was a factory replacement engine? I am needing the size and date of manufact. so I can order the correct engine re-build kits. Also,need to know how to properly time this engine when I put in a new set of time gears and a new distributor.

If it has a place for a spin-on oil filter at the bottom back of the block, it's was made between late 62 and 64 -- that's proabably the closest you're gonna get to a date of manuafacture. The later car engines were dated, the truck engines were not. As noted by Dick Steinkamp, it's a 289 cu in. The cloverleaf symbol means it's a factory HD replacement truck engine, with valve rotators and other HD components. It probably did not come with that engine number anyway -- 6E5408 might very well be the number of the engine it replaced. It was not uncommon in those days for states to use the engine number as the VIN. In such cases, replacement engines were stamped with original engine number.

Skip Lackie

icobra2ford
08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Ok, I understand the engine came from a 62 7E series truck. Probably a heavy duty replacemnet engine. Can anybody tell me what are "valve rotators"? Also,what kind of heavy duty componets did these come with?I still need direction to set the timeing for cam gear replacement.

Roscomacaw
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Valve rotators are just like they sound - they're special valve spring retainers that rotate the valve a tiny bit with each actuation. This was to lessen the chance of the valve "coking up" or developing a burnt spot. Frankly, unless you're gonna use that engine in a truck, I wouldn't bother with them. Standard retainers would work just fine.
A 6E 289 was the "Heavy Duty" option, but that basically bought you the rotators, an aluminum cam gear and supposedly special Tri-metal bearings. Really, a standard timing gear will work as will whatever engine bearings you can get your hands on. There was nothing different about the block, crank, cam, pistons, valves (save for the rotators and maybe lower compression heads. All the replaceable, wear-worthy bits are straight 289 for all intent and purpose.
The aluminum cam gear's nice - if you're gonna flail it mercilessly. But I personlly know of Stude V8s that have done over a quarter of a million miles with nothing more than diligent maintenance and servicing - and these weren't feather-footed, pampered, old lady cars.[}:)]
It seems that a fair number of these truck engines were delivered with the blocking plate over the full-flo filter point and filtered with fender-mounted, partial flow filters. Go figure! Maybe it was the die-hard preferance of old time maintenance operations. Studebaker even offered a BIG cartidge filter setup that was full flo, for these truck engines, but they'd go with the partial flow filters instead.[8]
As to the A-number, who knows? Maybe some shop's own way of tracking an engine that they rebuilt.;)

OH! as to directions for the cam gear timing, the cam gear has a mark on the front face of one of it's teeth. There's also TWO marks on the front of two of the crankshaft gear's teeth. That single mark on the cam gear gets situated between the TWO marks on the crankshaft gear!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

icobra2ford
08-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Mr. Biggs,thanks for the info! This seems to really clear up some of my quest. Can you tell me what spark plug terminal(on the distr.) the rotor should point to when the punch marks all line up? It seems to point towards the back of the engine (number 6?)when I try to line the punch marks up. Also, what cylinder is this timed with?

53 STARLINER,78 AVANTI II,40 FORD COUPE

Roscomacaw
08-08-2006, 03:50 PM
"punch marks" ??? Are you talking about the marks I mentioned?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

StudeRich
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Cobra; sounds like you need a Studebaker Repair Manual! :D The valve timing is a diff. thing than IGNITION timing. Just check for both valves on #1 closed, #1 piston up, rotor forward. Every OTHER revolution will have #6 firing.
The Studebaker engine has a firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and cyl. numbering of Left side 1,3,5,7 right 2,4,6,8 rotor points forward, dist. vac. can points to right fender when wires are in correct cap loc. Number one is usually the first tower left or right of the clip. Remember this engine has COUNTERCLOCKWISE DISTRIBUTOR ROTATION!
Hope this helps, Rich.

Can you tell me what spark plug terminal(on the distr.) the rotor should point to when the punch marks all line up? It seems to point towards the back of the engine (number 6?)when I try to line the punch marks up. Also, what cylinder is this timed with?

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Alan
08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
When the cam gear mark is meshed with the crank gear mark it is lighting #6. No 1 is at TDC split overlap.

imported_n/a
08-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Was just looking in the search and in the data page here, looking up the engine that a previous owner had installed in the '58 I just acquired. It has a delco window distributor, a 535661 4 barrel intake manifold, 570 heads, and P 92373 stamped next to the oil filler, which likely makes it a 289, but what year? I forgot to check for the oil filter on the block, which would narrow it down to 62-64, would it not? The distributor would only be from a 60-61? I Put lots of MMO in the cylinders before I attempt to turn it. Thanks.

StudeRich
08-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Packebaker; South Bend 289's for '62 start at P79,801 and '63's at P93,601. So I call that a '62, and that must be late enough to have a full flow filter, quite often if it's in a car that had a bi-pass type filter like a '58 it would have a block-off plate on the block - DUH ! [:0]makes 0 sense! Good Score! Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

Was just looking in the search and in the data page here, looking up the engine that a previous owner had installed in the '58 I just acquired. It has a delco window distributor, a 535661 4 barrel intake manifold, 570 heads, and P 92373 stamped next to the oil filler, which likely makes it a 289, but what year? I forgot to check for the oil filter on the block, which would narrow it down to 62-64, would it not? The distributor would only be from a 60-61? I Put lots of MMO in the cylinders before I attempt to turn it. Thanks.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Dwain G.
08-09-2006, 12:25 AM
As Alan said, when the cam and crank gears are aligned the rotor will point to cylinder 6. Here is a picture of the distributor in normal position showing the terminal locations.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/firing.order.jpg
RE: A5625 stamped on the engine. Is it a coincidence that the stock bore size is 3.5625"? Not likely I know, but this was a racer of some sort. Certified stock maybe?

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/9GQ2.jpg
Dwain G.

icobra2ford
08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys,now that I know what year the engine is, I can get the correct Stude manual. Thanks for settn me straight on the distr. number/valve timeing ordeal. I wanted all of this info to make my mind up as to start a rebuild of this old drag car. Dwain, thanks for the link, and I would have never guessed that the 5625 applied to stroke,but it sounds good to me! I will try to keep everyone posted as to my progress.......

studegary
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks guys,now that I know what year the engine is, I can get the correct Stude manual. Thanks for settn me straight on the distr. number/valve timeing ordeal. I wanted all of this info to make my mind up as to start a rebuild of this old drag car. Dwain, thanks for the link, and I would have never guessed that the 5625 applied to stroke,but it sounds good to me! I will try to keep everyone posted as to my progress.......

Dwain said "bore", not "stroke."

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Dwain G.
08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
..........and that is purely a stab in the dark too! I have no real idea why the extra numbers are there.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/9GQ2.jpg
Dwain G.